Watch_Dogs E3 2012 Gas Station Explosion Mod

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by The Silver, Aug 4, 2017.

1. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Watch_Dogs E3 2012 Gas Station Explosion Mod WIP

This minimod simply aims to bring back the epic gas station explosion that amazed us in the old E3 2012 demo. :cool:

The status of this minimod is still very WIP, I just scratched the surface of TRUE particles editing in WD, much more can be done, and with the help of HeySlickThatsMe I hope we will be able to get some amazing results. :D
    Anyway, I already managed to edit the particle system of the final explosion of the gas station explosion sequence adding dozens of varied 3d debris that gets thrown in the air at the end. :)

Here's a screenshot of this very fist beta:

[​IMG]

Download Link: 9DBBFE8F.maybe.rml

As you can see this is just a loose file, since this beta is aimed to modders willing to collaborate in this project, a minimod that could be easily integrated in bigger mods in the future hopefully. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Particle editing tutorial

PARTICLE EDITING TUTORIAL

Packing and Unpacking: To unpack the file 9DBBFE8F.maybe.rml simply drag it to the Gibbed.Disrupt.ConvertXml.exe tool, you will get a perfectly readable 9DBBFE8F.xml file that defines every particle effect of the game.
    Once you are done editing it you can pack it again simply by dragging the 9DBBFE8F.xml file in the Gibbed.Disrupt.ConvertXml.exe tool again and renaming it back to 9DBBFE8F.maybe.rml

Particle System and Particle Emitters: The sum of all the particles of a single effect is called Particle System (for example the entire explosion effect of a hacked Transformer with sparks smoke etc), then a particle system is made of many Particle Emitters which defines the specific effects (initial explosion, sparks, lasting smoke etc) in both appearance and behaviour.
    The starting tag <PartSys and the ending tag </PartSys> encloses the whole Particle System.
    The starting tag <PartEmit and the ending tag </PartEmit> encloses the single Particle Emitter.

Porting a Particle Emitter: Let's say that you want to port one or more particles from an effect to another, first of all you have to identify the Particle Emitter responsible of the specific particle that you want to port (the lasting smoke of the steam pipes for example) and then the Particle System of the effect that you want to recieve said particles (the grenade explosion for example), then you have to select the entire Particle Emitter (use the tags to see where it starts and ends) and simply copy it inside your chosen Particle System (use the tags to see where it starts and ends) so that it sits along the other particle emitters of said particle system.

Particle Emitter details: The appearance and behaviour of a specific particle is entirely defined by the Particle Emitter. It's responsible of every single property of the spawning of a particle (position, amount, velocity, direction, rotation, lifetime, weight and much more) and also responsible of the appearance during its lifetime of the particle that is emitted (texture or 3d model, color, size, transparency and much more).
    Usually the "absolute" properties are defined by the many parameters of the very first line (the <PartEmit Name= line).
    Usually the "variable" properties are defined in the many lines below (until </PartEmit> obviously).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  3. HeySlickThatsMe

HeySlickThatsMe Master Guru

GPU:
    No Record
  4. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    You're welcome! :D

5. KAOS GAMING

KAOS GAMING Guest

-removed-

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  6. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
  7. HeySlickThatsMe

GPU:
    No Record
    How is the final gas station explosion named? (The last stage of the gas station where it exploded , you added the debris to it)

8. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    It's called wdfx_brk_gasstation.residualelements.gasstationfinalexplosion so simply search for gasstationfinalexplosion and you're done, also if you search simply for gasstation you can find all the other "steps" of the gas station explosion sequence (like pumps explosion, the fire increasing, the first explosion etc). ;)

9. HeySlickThatsMe

GPU:
    No Record
    Good , thanks

10. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    I'm currently working on physical debris now, trying to optimize them and fix their behaviour. They make the game lag when they spawn so it's better to mix them with my current non-physical debris instead of just replacing ALL the non-physical debris with physical ones.

Here's the code, to easily test these particle emitters just place them in the grenade explosion particle system for example: https://pastebin.com/raw/VCmSnv4zS :cool:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

11. HeySlickThatsMe

GPU:
    No Record
    Any idea how can i increase the radius of stuff?
    I want the radius of the debris to be bigger so it can spawn on the road like in e3 , and the same for the fire on the ground
    [​IMG]

12. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Yeah without increasing the spawn area you can't get some things right, for example I see that you significantly increased the size of the flames, but they doesn't look good because it's still clear that they are the usual small few particles centered in a little area just oversized. Also it could be aggravated if you changed the textures from the vanilla ones, because they could not fit a bigger size visually wise.

Anyway, I think that the emitter parameter EmitVolRadius and the one immediately after it could be helpful, both for the fire on the gas station itself and for the ground flames. ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  13. HeySlickThatsMe

GPU:
    No Record
    Ok , ill try
    i also made some changes to the spawn positions in the debris , so it looks gud

btw its better than nothing

14. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Sounds cool! :D And when you feel ready to upload a beta just throw me a PM and I will happily update the first post with the progress. :)

15. HeySlickThatsMe

GPU:
    No Record
    Sure , do you know how can i close all notepad++ tabs without opening notepad++?
    Because i opened one xml file and my notepad++ now crashes at startup...

//nvm solved

16. Mrlu

Mrlu Guest

GPU:
    UNKNOWN
    @TheSilver
    How are the names for the transformers box and transformers cavern particles?

17. AjGamer

AjGamer Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    have you guys tried importing models or using existing ones as particles and debris? i recall in the Demo's explosion there were car tires that flew into the sky.

18. HeySlickThatsMe

GPU:
    No Record
    This can be added , i will add it later

19. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Yes it should be pretty easy to do, I just quickly put those together but as I said there's much much more that can be done now. ;)

20. Mrlu

Mrlu Guest

GPU:
    UNKNOWN
    You guys make that explosion so big and great :)
    COME ON SILVER HELP ME!! I JUST WANT TWO THINGS :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    1. The lines of the sparks of the transformers that I ask to you loooong time ago for edit and add a lot like in the PS4 reveal.
    2. And wich value controlls that value or size (because I think its StaticSize) :(