AMD Radeon R9 270X - No video on 2nd monitor

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CooperKid, Aug 25, 2014.

1. CooperKid

CooperKid Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I have two identical widescreen monitors connected to my AMD Radeon R9 270X graphics card. However, whatever configuration I try, only the one plugged into the top DVI port works. The other one shows no input, and Windows can't even detect it - nothing shows up in the dual monitor options.

The second monitor doesn't show any boot information after restarting, so I think it must be a problem with the graphics card itself. I've updated the graphics card driver, and tried swapping the monitors and cables around - both screens work, just not in that particular DVI port.

Here's the thing though - the screens use VGA cables, and are plugged into the DVI sockets via a couple of VGA/DVI adapters. Is there any reason this could be the problem? Would using DVI cables fix it? It doesn't make much sense to me - why would one monitor work but not the other, if this was the problem?

Appreciate any help.

2. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Swap the ports (adapters and all) to make sure it is not a bad cable or adapter. I also recommend you use DVI if both monitors support it, the picture will be better (grab some cheap cables on Monoprice if you do not have any).

3. CooperKid

CooperKid Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Yeah, swapping everything around was the first thing I tried. Cables, adapters, the lot. No change. At least I know both monitors work!

I'll bring a spare DVI cable from work tomorrow evening and try with that. I just don't understand why one socket would work with the VGA adapter, and the other one won't.

4. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I do not know which brand card you have. But reading the manual for mine I can see that only 1 port supports the DVI-VGA adapter (that is a DVI-I port) and the other does not (DVI-D port). So I'm 99% sure that is the problem.

5. CooperKid

CooperKid Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Bingo! On closer inspection I can see the different + and - shaped sockets on the DVI ports - so one is a DVI-D. So that's the problem! Thanks so much :D