MB/CPU dead ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by xaudiox, Aug 10, 2013.

1. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Hi all, i'll cut a long story short, a glass of juice has tipped and run all down the top of my antec 300 top fan while i was at work (Kids).
    All components have been cleaned and dried and the pc has been re-assembled.
    When i power on it shuts off almost immediatly, the only way i can sustain power is to remove the 8pin 12v lead that supplies power to the CPU and then everything powers up with the obvious CPU light on the MB.

I Just wanted to see if you guys have any suggestions on anything else i could try to troubleshoot further. (i.e does the 12v supply power to anything else other than cpu?)

MB - Asus P8P67 Evo
    CPU - i7 2600k

Regards, xaudiox

2. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    With the computer in use at the time, the top fan must have sprayed it everywhere, when i took it apart it was hard to tell because all juice was dry.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Id guess the mobo is fried too, CPU will likely be ok unless the juice caused a power spike

4. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Cannot see any signs of damage, still smells good too lol

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    My friend once had a client's AIO cooler (Thermaltake Liquid Cooling stuff, *woozy client*) spray all over if I'm not mistaken. He disassembled everything and drenched the motherboard in alcohol. Whatever juice is left over is likely to cause issues. He had some issues which were then fixed by cleaning around the chipset area (juice was still there).

Worth a try if you're careful that the alcohol evaporates before you power the mobo again, meaning no leaving alcohol in areas it might get stuck in in large quantities.

6. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    A long time ago had a water block fail and water pumped everywhere and the only thing that broke was the keyboard. I had a can of electrical cleaner, like alcohol it evaporates quickly. You gotta make sure your thorough and let it sit at least over night.

7. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Need something that will remove/dissolve the sugar residue (from the juice) that may be shorting the MB.

8. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    You should take it all apart so everything can dry out. Also most likely should re-do the CPU paste. Did any liquid get into the power supply or video card?