Please Help me with my 280x crossfire overclock?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by geordiejc, Mar 3, 2014.

1. geordiejc

geordiejc Guest

GPU:
    2 x 280x (Toxic + MSI)
    I would really appreciate someone's help for my crossfire set-up, specifically with over-clocking. i promise that any help / suggestions you reccomend i will try and i'll post back here so there's an ongoing updates.

Primary card: Sapphire Toxic 280x
    Secondary : MSI Gaming Twin Fozor OC 280x

I've installed Afterburner v2.3.1 and 14.12 Beta AMD drviers. I run these cards in the following configuration:

Toxic 1200 GPU 1700 Memory
    MSI 1100 GPU 1600 Memory

i haven't adjusted any voltages, because i'm pretty new to overclocking GPU's - i wouldn't know what to do! i'm not a complete noob i overclocked my i5 4670k to 4.2 @ 1.2v (IBT / Prime95 synthetic tests hold up)

In CCC i have de-selected 'Enable Graphics OverDrive' and enabled CrossfireX and use MSI AB to control the performance of the cards - i assume that this is the best way of controlling the cards?

i've selected 'apply overclocking at system start up'

Benchmarks
    3DMark Fire Strike Extreme : 6520 (1920 x 1080)
    Metro Last Light Avg 82 fps (1920 x 1080 AF16x Very high settings)

so essentially the cards i believe are performing as they should and i confirm this by using MSI on screen display which shows usage & temps etc...

i really don't know what i'm doing when it comes to the 'Power Limit %' - help here much appreciated, the Toxic can go upto +50% and the MSI +20% but to be honest i have zero knowledge of this so i haven't dared press the apply button for fear of damaging the cards.

so a couple of asks from me;

1. Before i bought the 2nd card i was of the understanding that because the Toxic has a faster GPU core and memory speeds that it would slow it down to the slower MSI card - is this correct or not because i'm running them at different speeds..

2. Can the cards be clocked further? temps on the card at full load 75 Deg Toxic, 65 Deg MSI. If so how?

i'm getting 4 x Fans to add to my case Tuesday to provide the cards with further cooling.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and i look forward to your suggestions & help.

2. geordiejc

geordiejc Guest

GPU:
    2 x 280x (Toxic + MSI)
    Anyone ?

3. geordiejc

geordiejc Guest

GPU:
    2 x 280x (Toxic + MSI)
    there must be a techie out there who wants to help a brother from another mother :)

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Brother from another mother here :)

You seem to be doing fine. However, you don't benefit from settings both cards at different clockspeeds. The cards will be used according to the speed of the slowest and that means the higher-clocked card will be used less and will be running a higher clock, and possibly a higher voltage, for nothing.

Your max overclock will be the lowest overclock of the two. That's how it goes in current multi-GPU implementations.

5. randomX

randomX Guest

GPU:
    R9 270
    Your cards will be fine on +20% power limit. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start changing actual voltages.

6. geordiejc

geordiejc Guest

GPU:
    2 x 280x (Toxic + MSI)

Thanks for the reply both!

So my MSI will overclock from 1020/1500 to 1100/1600 so therefore should i under clock my toxic to 1100/1600 so both cards run at the same gpu usage?

Should i give both cards +20% power?