The Glide good ol days

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by DSparil, Oct 23, 2006.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I remember when I got my new Voodoo 3 3000AGP and ran the hell out of games like Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Hexen 2. It seemed like back then the Glide api was the way to go for those types of games (especially Unreal and UT). Even though the card only supported 16 bit color, I almost didnt care because frame rates were so high and the games ran so silky smooth.

3dfx ran my gaming soul back in those days! Of couse, then came the Riva TNT2 and the following Geforce line of cards, slowly leading 3dfx to the grave, well......along with other reasons.

I just wanted to relish in those good ol days when I was proud to sport 3dfx cards in my system and rock it out with glide :cheers:

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    I never had the privilege of using 3dfx

3. jiu-jitsuGOD

jiu-jitsuGOD Banned

GPU:
    quad sli8800GTX @826/2900 :) (H2o)
    Those were deff the days bro. I got a Voodoo3 in my very first home built computer I played Drahken order of the flame on high detail and games like Evolva motorhead and others.I then saved my pennies And got a Voodoo5 5500 at launch costed 500 Bucks. but it was so awesome to run games 32bit color . I played diablo 2 for hours . then I went and did the silly thing of getting into benchmarking.. when the Geforce 2 ultra came out it spanked the V5500 so I brought it back after 60 somthing days days (dumb E.B sales guy) traded 2 games and got the ultra I think it debuted at 649 USD.LOL the rest is history.......

4. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I still got my Voodoo3 lying around, I wont be throwing it away either!

5. AMD64

AMD64 New Member

GPU:
    Gainward Geforce 7800GS (7900GT)
    I will never sell my Voodoo4 4500 PCI card. Some games like Diablo II (the best game ever) runs much smoother on Voodoo.

Excuse my bad english, Im from sweden :)

6. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Benchmarking gets the best of us, that's why we're all here after all:D

The old gfx cards do have a certain "smoothness" about their rendering that the newer cards don't seem to have. Playing CS1.6 on a GeForce2 GTS and a 6800GT shows the difference.

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I used to have a v3 3000, and there was no tearing without v-sync whatsoever. Though this is probably because it never went above 60fps...

I loved my voodoo3, I ended up giving it away in a moment of madness! Glide was awesome, had the most performance of any api back then (it totally spanked powervr, which I had before the 3dfx).

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Yeah, i was all about my Voodoo3 too Morbius. I still have it around here to this day :)

You are right about PowerVR though. although its odd that the Dreamcast used a PowerVR chipset and kicked some ass for its time! Atleast im pretty sure it was a PowerVR chipset in there...

9. chrismeyer

chrismeyer Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7950 GT 512meg
    yes the dreamcast did use the povervr chipset. and i still have my 2 old voodoo 3 cards a one is a v3 3000 pci 16m3g and the other one is a V3 2000 8meg agp2x

10. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    New cards produce tearing even when the framerate is below 60FPS though. That special smoothness from the pre-GF3 cards (not sure if the GF3 had it) was a phenomenon that so far no one has been able to explain (or even notice)

11. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    My Voodoo2 12mb was great! Twice as cheap as most brands (it was a Trust, cheap, but never any trouble)

Seeing Unreal on that thing, while I was used to Doom1 was a serious treat. I couldn't live with 800x600 as a maximum resolution today though :p

Tearing was indeed NEVER a problem. What's up with that?

12. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    My fondest voodoo memory is playing Shogo at almost 100% graphics on a Voodoo2 8mb. That game still works on my 2nd pc :)

13. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    My 1st game with a Voodoo 2 pci card was HalfLife and that just blew me away, and im sorry to say nothing else ever has, we would have much better Graphics cards now if 3DFX were still going, it wasnt about raw speed with 3DFX it was about quality and sadly thats been lost now. :)

Take me back ffs im getting old now, 32 in feb :(

14. jiu-jitsuGOD

jiu-jitsuGOD Banned

GPU:
    quad sli8800GTX @826/2900 :) (H2o)
    I wish 3dfx was still around .but here the thing thier company failed for a reason ... I mean I dont know how much better it would be toaday if they were still here.. they made rediculous mistakes in thier architecture which led to there demise..

15. chrismeyer

chrismeyer Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7950 GT 512meg
    now their part of nvidia it would be cool if they just for kicks released a voodoo card

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Thats true, but I think what hurt them equally as much was the decision to go at it alone. Before the Voodoo3 cards, 3dfx decided that no 3rd party developer (at the time diamond, creative and others) could manufacture a card with the voodoo chipset but 3dfx. I think that lost them a lot of business, alienated a lot of the developers and offered less choice for the consumer :grab:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  17. Boris.G

Boris.G New Member

I had the original voodoo i remember now. I was 14 or 15 and i specifically went out and got a job washing cars over the christmas/summer break(australian) so that i could play GL Quake and Quake II in glide. It was magic. Running on a Pentium 266Mhz With 32MB of SD RAM and an extra 8M of EDO RAM(ewww).

I swear i could feel the game slow down when it hopped onto the slower bus of that EDO RAM....

I sold that card to one of my mates and got a voodoo II 12MB a few years later and played soooooo much q2 on that thing (anyone remember theclq.com ??? RIP.

I'm 23 now and i hang that voodoo II in the living room by its loop-back monitor cable, looped back onto itself on the wall as a piece of 'modern art'. And every once in a while a friend will come by and go "****, is that a Voodoo II??" and I go "Yes, my friend, A 12MB Voodoo II..."

18. Xion999

Xion999 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 580
    Wow you're almost as bad as my friend, hes actually trying to make an old style machine with 3dfx's SLI!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

19. MR_James

MR_James Member

GPU:
    Palit Sonic GTX260
    The thing I miss the most about the older cards is when they clicked in and you knew you were playing 3D :grin:

I still have most of my old cards:

Orchid Rightous 4MB(Voodoo1)
    Creative Labs Banshee
    Voodoo3 3000 <-Sitting in my smoothwall box!
    Voodoo3 3500

Then unfortunately I moved to the geforce evil :(

All the cards still work as well, got bored a little while ago so checked them all, lol

20. Evele

Evele Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Can anyone say Tribes 1 on 2 Voodoo 2's bridged in SLI. You still can't run that game without Voodoo Glide, unless you like software rendering.