Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 20, 2011.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    First episode was ok-ish.
    -Didnt like ed sheeran's gues appearance though made it look corny.

i guess john snow is getting dragon weapons and armor now and daenerys is joining them on the fight.
    Shouldnt the guy in the library prison be turned to stone already ?

2. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Enjoyed the latest episode. The opening was VERY satisfying.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Oh yes, it gave me such a nerdgasm. A *GIANT* nerdgasm! :giggle2:

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lone Wolf is on the Move.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The entire band Mastadon guest appears no one cares. Ed Sheeran comes in for an episode singing Bart the Bard's song about Tyrion and people lose their minds. SMDH

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    To be fair, in this episode it was just Brann, the drummer (awesome drummer btw) - and he was in it for like a split second covered in undead makeup. Relatively few people even know who Mastodon are, let alone could recognize the individual members.

That being said I don't really mind that Sheeran was in it either. If he was a main character and a ****ty actor and just in there because "star power" it would annoy me. But as a random one off dude in the forest it's whatever.

As for the show, I find it entertaining for what it is - compared to the books though it's gone downhill. The dialogue is terrible and lost the middle-ages time period ("are you old enough to drink?" lol), the characters have become extremely one dimensional, especially Cersei who was one of my fav characters in the books (due to how complex she is). I get that they had to simply stuff down - but when they show Sam cleaning **** pots for 5 minutes, or any of the other useless filler episodes they dragged out in previous seasons, it's like.. they could have spent that time developing characters that are actually unique and interesting. I do like the CG and Castle matte paintings and stuff though. Dragonstone looked awesome (although book Stannis would have never left it ungarrisoned).

Idk, I still like it, I just like the books way better. I guess I've become one of those "books are better" nerds everyone hates. Sorry guys.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    The books ARE way better than the show, and it is indeed a shame that they rushed and compressed so much content in the earlier seasons when they could have developed the available story so much more. But no, they chose to rush and catch up, and even surpass GRR's books and the drop in quality was evident (with few exceptions, like the Hardhome episode), especially in the dialogue.

And really, now looking back, the whole rush made 0 sense, since they plan to do SEVERAL prequels or shows in the universe after the main show ends anyway...

Oh well, that being said, like you Denial, I still enjoy the show for what it is and I am truly looking forward to the Long Night, as long as they don't overuse CGI and we'll have battles like Hardhome with some parctical effects, fantastic choreography on a big scale I'll be satisfied. :nerd:

I just hope that one day GRR will finish the books and I will be able to see the "complete edition", but at the pace he writes, and considering he will be more involved in future prequel shows... safe to say it will take a while. :cry:

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Not really , i actually think it degrades the story.

9. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    In its very first episode ‘Dragonstone’, which aired on HBO yesterday, The Last of Us fans might have noticed that around 22:30 into the episode, Jaime Lannister tells her sister Cersei: ‘We’re the last of us’, referring to the fact that every other Lannister (except Tyrion, who has switched sides) is dead.

Granted, you may think it was a mere coincidence. However, Game of Thrones Producer and Writer David Benioff explicitly confirmed that it was indeed a nod to the game. In particular, he noticed that fans of both the game and the show had paired Joel with Jaime Lannister’s actor, ******j Coster-Waldau, mainly for their physical resemblance. Because of that, he decided to have Jaime quote that line.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't think it does any worse a job than the facts that entire characters an storylines have been severely altered.

11. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I had no idea who Ed Sheeran was until I saw the reviews. From my standpoint, it was not an issue.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    We are surrounded on all sides by enemies who can happily march over the land and stomp us clean, our enemies get all their resource from the lands that surround their territories.

So here's my tactical genius plan, let's ally with someone who has a massive ocean going fleet and who are renowned for sucking hard when it comes to land combat...

...and let's ally with them at a point in time when it is too late for their massive ocean going fleet to stop my biggest enemy arriving via her ocean going fleet.

Cersei truly has lost it.

Oh I know in the books that Euron has a trump card to play but so far in the TV series nothing has been mentioned of that particular 'weapon'.

Aria Stark

https://youtu.be/6duy25F8lpo?t=15

13. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Well during the red wedding two band members from Coldplay were in the band playing at the wedding. They didn't talk at all though.

It was the slow reply from Ed "It's a new one" and the little pause on his face after that quote which I though was a bit silly, but other than that I don't feel it "degrades" the story at all as the story still remains the story.

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    holy **** that was good and i have very good feelings about this season.

15. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    This ^^^^^

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Well this episode kinda sucked with the exception of Danny calling out the eunuch on his crap.

17. uncleknacker

uncleknacker Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070
    Don't know what it is but every previous season I was looking forward to, could count the days to the next episode, would wait months before in anticipation. This season I'm just not that bothered, it's mediocre at best for me and although I will watch as want to obviously see what happens, I'm not as interested or as excited as I used to be.

Suppose I'm just there for the t!ts and dragons now.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It was a sort of a slow eunuch episode up until the end where testosterone went over 9000! :giggle2:

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The Ironborn are not interesting in the show. They seriously got the shaft compared to the books.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I know, I'm just saying that at least that part saved an otherwise lame episode for me and probably for 99% of the casual viewers. At this point I'm completely separating the show from the books, as it's in all aspects, way dumbed down, but at the same time enjoying it for what is. At the rate GRR is writing, we might not even get to see the end of the main story via books...