nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. fuzie

fuzie Guest

GPU:
    GTX580
    Hi, thanks for your work !

Can you add some instructions for Dishonored please ?

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    @ fuzie

DISHONORED AA BITS FOR SGSSAA AND MORE....

Here we go:

AA Bits:

0x000010C1
    0x004040C1 (the one i use atm) ( 4 x 4 SGSSAA + SFX)

Might wanna give the Negative LOD a little more boost..like 0.875 or more..0.750 still seems a little to blurry..but still way better then without AA..

Screens:

Direct compare:
    Mouse OVER = SGSSAA

NO AA: (ingame)

[​IMG]

SGSSAA 4x4:

[​IMG]

SGSSAA 4x4 + sweetFX Cineon testing... a little too bright atm, but ill get there :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-BetA-

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. fuzie

fuzie Guest

GPU:
    GTX580
    Thanks a lot !

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Told ya :nerd:

FXAA Over MSAA Causes Artifacts

FXAA was not designed to do a good job when applied over MSAA or other multi-sample techniques like TXAA. FXAA adds some rather bad artifacts in those cases. For example in the case below the proper gradient provided by MSAA confuses the edge direction detection in FXAA, and FXAA filters in the wrong direction.

Better Option = In Shader Super-Sampling of Alpha-Test

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I've used FXAA over MSAA in a BUNCH of games. The artifacts were incredibly neglible.
    At worst resulted in some slight noise/fuzz at some edges on some areas.(As it shows)

But I would LOVE for developers to actually GIVE A DAMN and follow Tim's Recommendations.

I'm sick of developers not giving a **** about AA. ESPECIALLY games with deferred.

If Next gen Xbox and playstation aren't capable of great AA without major performance issues. Then I'll be pissed ****ing off.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Sure, those indeed look familiar but I still use 8xMSAA+FXAA in SWTOR for example since the MSAA looks rather bad in it.

7. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    I've moved from a 1920x1080 monitor to a 2560x1600 monitor quite a while ago and I've found that FXAA built into the drivers does a fantastic job of reducing aliasing at this resolution. It's much better than the injector. The injector likes to blur and round on-screen objects far too much. Particularly anything with text. With driver FXAA you get the anti-aliasing without a lot of the bluring and distortions. I would actually rate it higher in quality than the SMAA injector.

Edit: Oh, and driver FXAA worth with OpenGL and sub DX9 titles (DX8 for example).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  8. LeZaSh

LeZaSh Guest

GPU:
    gtx460 1gb soc @900/4000
    you've got 3 titans, and you're using fxaa :bang:

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hey now. FXAA can be extremely useful depending on the situation.

10. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    Guys can you give me a good solution for crysis and crysis warhead AA for alpha textures like plam trees, grass etc?

And for crysis 2, its much better but while moving there are lots of shimmering.
    ----
    been searching.... both crysis games use crytek's own implementation.. edge-aa is the father of fxaa in crysis and nvfilter is the father of txaa in crysis 2 (temporal aa with other techniques).

edit: found that for crysis 2, maldo4.0 final also gives the best AA with injecting smaa utlra and using in-game fxaa high (nvfilter=1 i guess). yet the game has some FSAA options as commands, and its basically CSAA, SSAA but nvidia deleted CSAA from newer cards.

for crysis, you cannot use CSAA in-game AA and also edge-aa even at 2 looks bad. so they say force fxaa from nvidia panel. yet i wanna use smaa 4x but i dont know how to inject it. or i will use some supersampling with trying combinations as i did years ago. but i cant do it for crysis 2 as its already a demanding game of on its own.

anyways, i hope someone benefits from my findings.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

11. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I decided to use SMAA injector from sweetfx w/o any additional effects (which i hate!) for both crysis and crysis 2.

maldo4.0 is this and that somehow good but it seems that it has lots of bugs and i prefer to see vanilla unchanged graphics, even for crysis... thats just my opinion.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I can give you one already:

Tree leaves, etc in some older games. Made Stalker games look a lot smoother and less jagged.

13. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Necro'd