Another First

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Pzykotik, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Another First DSLR Post!

Guys,

I'm going to buy my girlfriend a camera as part of her 30th birthday present.

I was thinking of going for a Canon EOS 1200D Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III Lens.

Looking around the web, this seems to be the best entry level DSLR to go for.

Now, are the Guru's in agreement? If so, can somebody advise me on additional lenses I should get, and the type of SDHC card to buy. I've been quite interested in getting a wireless one... A Toshiba 32GB Flash Air II maybe?

I figure I should get a bag/rucksack as well?

Thank you!!!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Anybody?

3. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    wats ur budget and wat does you/your girlfriend like to shoot?

4. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I don't really have one. The camera I listed is £339... but I suppose about £500 would be my limit.

The gf likes nature, so landscape photography I guess. She's never had a "proper" camera though, so I can't really tell you. This will be her first DSLR!

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    not 100% sure about pricing in UK, but looking at that budget looks like what you have listed is the way to go for now

the 18mm will be decently wide for landscapes, but 55mm is not exactly long, so if u are wanting to shoot animals for example u will need to look at something longer

there is like a 18-135 lens or something i am pretty sure, may be worthwhile to see if u can stretch ur budget and get dat instead

6. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    The Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM? That lens costs nearly as much as the camera! haha, £321.99!

The camera is decent enough though? The next one up is the Canon EOS 700D, which retails at around £568.00 with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens. I could spring for that if you (or anybody) thinks the jump will be worth it for a strictly amateur, first DSLR...

7. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    there will be nothing in it in terms of image quality, but functionality wise i'd imagine it be a good step up, making a very good slr to learn with

so if u can swing it i say go for it

8. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    To be honest, with the rest of the stuff I'm getting her if the image quality will be the same then I'll probably go for the cheaper camera... In regards to lenses, that longer lens is WAY too expensive for now (I've got to have money left for the PG278Q when it comes out)...

Should I go with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III, or EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens though?

9. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
  10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    If you can find a 500D/600D, you're better off getting that. canon hasn't updated the sensors in their entry levels since the 500D,
    so you're just paying way more for a "newer" cameras with things that don't justify the price.

I always recommend a Pentax, simply because it has WAY more features than other entry level dslr's for the same price or sometimes cheaper.
    Can't beat having a waterproof (splash proof) camera for the same price as a canikon. on the flipside, canikon has a better lens lineup, and canon has best video.

You should also look at mirrorless cameras, as they're the same performance as entry level dslr's but much smaller.

11. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Ok, cool. Thanks! If I go for that deal though, the Canon EOS 1200D Digital SLR Triple Lens Kit... Surely I'm getting much more that I would buying a Pentax? Or would you still recommend I look into the Pentax range?

The Pentax K-50 DSLR Camera with DAL 18-55mm WR Lens Kit - Black (16MP, CMOS APS-C Sensor) 3 inch LCD retails at £449.00 on Amazon at the moment...

That deal at Jessops looks pretty damn good though at £409.00, the matching "kit" on Amazon would come to £517.98!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  12. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Canon really screwed up their naming system with the entry level cameras. 1200D is actually inferior to the 700D, and feels REALLY plasticky and cheap.

You're probably better off with Nikon, as jessops have good deals on them, and they actually improve their sensors unlike canon.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...-vr-lens-tamron-70-300mm-lens-89152/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...tal-slr-in-black-18-55mm-lens-90108/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...lr-18-55mm-55-200mm-vr-lenses-89513/show.html

All of these are pretty good deals, and you get access to a cheap 35mm instead of the 50mm.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...ikon/af-s-35mm-f1-8-g-dx-lens-76070/show.html

13. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Guys, after speaking with some of the guys I work with and the guys at Jessops I've gone for the Canon EOS 1200D Digital SLR Triple Lens Kit. According to them, the sensor and FP's don't really matter when using the different lenses (the two Canon ones).

The cheap long lens is pretty rubbish by all accounts too.

Thanks for the help.