Wii U is Sweet!

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Penal Stingray, Oct 28, 2012.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  2. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Three things are becoming clear with the H/W:

1: The CPU is underpowered by modern standards.
    2: VERY low memory bandwidth (necessitating a separate memory buffer). Combined with a weak CPU, I would suspect 60 FPS is going to be hard to maintain in demanding games.
    3: GPU looks to be a modified 4000 based GPU, as suspected a year ago (based on size and 40nm process node). Possibly a 4770 varient. Better then the aged GPU of the 360/PS3, but old by modern PC standards. [Current roumers have the PS4/720 using 7000 series class GPU's, for a comparison]

Yes, the Wii U is better then whats currently out there. But its based on very cheap hardware. I can't see it competing against the next generation consoles from Sony/MS.

4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Penal to come in and defend wii u in 3...2...1...

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    By the way, the best buy near my work has the deluxe in stock, I had one in my hand, looked it over and put it back. It's an impulse buy that I avoided. I'd sooner get a 3ds xl than a wii u. I just don't see the wii u holding it's own a year from now against ps4/xbox. It's nice to see they aren't bullsh*tting with "low stocks" like they did the original wii to push it's hype.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I was under the impression the gpu was 6 series based?

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    MS and Sony's new consoles will be poor performers too compared to the PC, because they need to cut down power usage.
    But I agree about CPU and memory bandwidth...

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    But aren't consoles always poor looking vs. pc's? Difference is consoles dont have the bloatware of an OS and the luxury of developers only having to make a game with that set hardware in mind.

PC's can be literally 100x more powerful than any console but what good is it when PC's have been reduced to nothing more than console ports with a few higher res textures and special AA features?

And now intel announcing their new line where the cpu's are in place within the mobo and can't be upgraded...pc enthusiasts are becoming endangered.

Then you have nvidia pushing tablets hard because they're making so much profit off of it, enough that it compensates the losses they've taken on pc's.

It's an odd time in gaming. Things are shifting, I almost think there are too many options and most of it will crumble....people aren't going to buy 9 devices to play 9 different games. Oversaturation.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    By the time the PS4/720 or whatever they are called are out, PC's will no doubt be far more advanced, on paper that is as i doubt there will be much if any real world difference when it comes to actual game visuals.

PC's will still be there for the extreme side, 25x16, 3D, Eyefinity/Surround and things like 120hz, but for 1080/60 i don't see much separating them as there isn't much more you can do with traditional rendering.

As for the Wii-U, i think it will do absolutely fine as it has at least a year to make an impact and even though the Sony/MS consoles will beat it hardware wise, neither of them will have any chance of competing with Nintendo when it comes to price.

In a world where alot of people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p video, or between streaming video and BluRay, i hardly think they will see the difference between Wii-U and PS4/720 games.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    This, absolutely.

As pc gamers we spend most of our time looking towards the forefront, us and other graphics enthusiasts will make up a small portion of the total sales concerning games.

11. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    First of all on the memory bandwith it may have 12.8 GB but that dont Include 32MB "EDRAM" now i took this off neogaf forums which is very reliable source one of those poeple actually knows what their talking about This is the edram it uses and comes in 3 configurations

Renesas UX8 eDRAM comes in three configurations: 1MB macro on a 128bit or 256bit bus, or 8MB on a 256bit bus. Wii U has 32MB eDRAM, so the bus should be either 1024, 4096 or 8192bit wide. The eDRAM should be clocked at either 486 or 729MHz, which leaves us with six possible configurations:

1024bit, 486MHz: 57.9GB/s
    1024bit, 729MHz: 86.9GB/s
    4096bit, 486MHz: 231.7GB/s
    4096bit, 729MHz: 347.6GB/s
    8192bit, 486MHz: 463.5GB/s
    8192bit, 729MHz: 695.2GB/s

Since the console is price around 300 they will likely to use the 486 MHZ lets say that one EDRAM is at 57.9 GB's u add that with the 12.8 GB's now thats 70.GBS wii u's EDRAM is way faster than 360 edram and it will destroy it. No wonder developers dont complain of wii u's memory as matter of fact they are praising it ;) second of all there is no way of officially confirming that wii u is 12.8GB's based on those article did they even contact the manufacture and ask how much really those bandwith is? they just look at the part number and look it up for u all know it maybe custom memory that pumps more bandwith that what they claim on anandtech and last but not least with 70.GB's bandwith that already is 360 and ps3 combined bandwith lol.

Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44737075

Second of all 4000 series gpu dont support GPGPU "General Purpose Computing On Graphics Processing Unit" GPGPU was First used on Radeon 5000 series also this is maybe couple months old but it was confirmed by amd tech rep that it is used Radeon E6760 GPGPU. and also this legit site confirmed it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/amd-tech-support-leak-s-the-wii-u-s-gpu-the-e6760

Now look the E6760 GFLOPS on this video it is rated at 576 Wii U was rated around 500 now that matches up pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3a9G7F8nc

now if those bandwith are so slow crytek cryengine 3 would not run beautifully lol

"Concerns over Wii U's power have led many industry observers to question whether Nintendo's new system is even as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli doesn't share those concerns. In an interview with CVG, Yerli said Wii U is "minimum on par with the current generation."

The executive went on to comment that CryEngine 3, which has powered his company's latest efforts on the Crysis series, more than functions on Wii U. "It actually runs beautifully," said Yerli. He went on to note that while Crytek didn't have a business plan that justified development on Wii U, there is "a game in development from a respected developer that we will be announcing. I've seen the game running and it looks really great."

Yerlis said Wii u minimum power is par on current gen system imagine if its full power i say obliteration :)

Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/20/crytek-cryengine-3-beautiful-on-wii-u

Im guessing Crysis 3 wii u version or Sniper Ghost Warrior. as we all know Crytek has superior engine than 4A studios Metro series. and they manage to make cryengine 3 run on it.

while playing arkham i notice the amount of detail and draw distance on wii u is far superior compare to 360 and ps3 is not even close. the snow effects was awesome , the lighting it has this whoah moment when u look at it it kinda blinds u which is HDR Rendering, i was shock even a port liek this could produce almost pc level graphics and trust me i play arkham city maxed out on pc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Unlikely if its still on the 40nm node. Won't know for sure though until someone breaks NDA, or breaks out an electron microscope.

AMD changed their shader design since the 4000-series from VLIW5 to VLIW4. If it is indeed a 6000-class derived architecture then the shader count would be both higher and more efficient.

Again though, still speculation.

First off, EDRAM is simply a hack to hide how slow the bandwidth is. That means extra coding in order to keep the buffer filled, which means a more difficult port, and higher memory access times for all data not stored in the EDRAM.

I laughed at this. No one has ever bothered with a wider then 256-bit memory bus that I can think of. You make the absurd assumption theres a need to load the entire buffer in one memory read. This just highlights your idiocy on this subject.

The CryEngine has ALWAYS been GPU heavy. That does NOT mean the CPU isn't going to be a specific program for engines that rely more on the CPU, such as the much more used Unreal Engine.

Again, I am NOT arguing the Wii U isn't a step up from current consoles. Its is. I'm arguing that compared to modern systems and what the PS4/720 will bring, its hardware is substandard.

People like you are too busy comparing to the PS3/360, rather then comparing to the real competition: The PS4/720.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Nvidia and AMD have been doing it for a while.

14. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    now i laugh at gamer 2k hahaha good one nhlkoho. Gamer2k Quoted "No one has ever bothered with a wider then 256-bit memory bus that I can think of" Let me answer that Geforce GTX 200 series has 512 Bit Memory bus and that was a 4 years ago. looks like someone needs to go to school for a lil bit more education lol.

Link: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-280/specifications

Also This EDRAM Has 512 Bit so the statement saying no one bother using more than 256 is just plain bullshet. Ahem talking about idiocy i think u just made ur self a candidate for one ;)

Link: http://technewspedia.com/crystalwell-have-a-512-bit-bus/

as for next gen ps4 and xbox we will compare when the system is out cant compare yet with jsut rumours and speculation for all u know its slower or faster.

"The CryEngine has ALWAYS been GPU heavy. That does NOT mean the CPU isn't going to be a specific program for engines that rely more on the CPU, such as the much more used Unreal Engine."

Unreal Engine 3 runs fine on wii u even Unreal Engine 4 can be ported on wii u if customers demand it

Link: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/12/epic-games-says-unreal-engine-4-ports-are-possible-on-wii-u/

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I think the first Nvidia card was the 8800GTS that had a 384bit bus or something like that.

16. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Looks like wii u has been hacked the cpu codename expresso is indeed POWERPC 750 based IBM CPU! Whoah!!!! this is good news I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!! SAY WUT NOW NOOBS? LOLS it has 1.24 ghz clock speed. and gpu speed is running at 550 GHZ. now we just need some to hack the gpu id strings lol

"he Wii U has already been “hacked” open and the finer details of its CPU, including a surprisingly low clock speed, have been leaked.

The codenames are listed: the CPU is known as Espresso, the GPU as Latte. But it’s the CPU speed that’s going to cause the headlines, apparently running at just 1.243 GHz, consisting of 3 PowerPC 750-type cores."

As you may know power pc 7 has 4 threads each so this is a 3 core wit each core handles 4 threads total of 12 threads "Twice The Threads Of 360". now this is where developers complain since clock for clock it is slower than current gen system but if u build using its architecture u will have a pretty fast cpu. but if u port a game againts it's architecture u will have as slower running game instead so only exlusives will likely to take advantage of it unless 3rd party games will take their time and port the game according to its architecture.

Power 7 CPU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7

And the guys name is Hector Martin

Link: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/11/29/report-wii-u-cpu-clocked-at-just-1-24ghz-hacked-already/

and here is Hector Martin Twitter Page the one who hacked the wii u

https://twitter.com/marcan42

In the end POWER 7 Cpu doesnt rely on clocks speed it relies on its superior architecture ;) developers just gotta feed it the right way. Power 7 CPU is Faster than current Gen console cpu. clock for clock its not gonna win Architurally its Far Superior! so down the road when next gen sony and microsoft released it will be utilize by then thus further improve its graphics moving it closer to what 720 and ps4 can do. so this is indeed next gen hardware under wii's u hood.

To all the wii u users on this thread try download Nano Assualt from ESHOP its 10 dollars, its an arcade but u will see a graphics that already miles away of what 360 and ps3 can do. can i say next gen ;)

Nano Assualt, Make sure u watch this video on 720p on youtube theres a lil setting on the player underneath it looks like a gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkoHOGCc66E

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  17. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    This all sounds VERY similar to the PS3/Cell processor BS in the past. Sorry, not going to bite. Face it, the CPU is WEAK, no matter how much they try to dress it up and make it sound pretty. Big mistake by N in the long run, IMHO.

18. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    well cell processor was kinda weak when they are not utilize 3rd party 360 games sometimes ended up looking a lot better but look wut happen when it was all unleashed? by developers ps3 has far better looking exclusives than xbox 360 ;) that same thing goes to wii u, face it in the long run when its all been utilize the graphics will come close to 720 and ps4.

Let me ask you does any 360 exclusives can match this graphics Beyond two souls this my friend all PS3 cell broaband engine to the maximum of its last remaining year of its life span. now the 3rd party games dont look no where as good as this since the cell broadband engine is not properly used. it dont need a rocket scientist to tell u that this graphics obliterates anything 360 can throw ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnUltxjNaDo

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The problem comes down to multi-platform titles. If Nintendo had included a processor with strong single threaded performance it wouldn't have been so badly off when the other next gen consoles hit the shelves. I'm sure first party titles will look fantastic, but that has almost always been the case with Nintendo. The weakness with most Nintendo systems has always been good third party support.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    All I have to say is look what Nintendo achieved with Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Those two games looked amazing on the Wii in terms of graphics. Yeah sure it could of done with some AA here and there but for a standard definition game on hardware that was clearly last gen it still looks pretty damn nice. And if that Zelda E3 demo with the spider on the Wii U was anything to go by then the console can do some pretty neat tricks. If the next Zelda looks like that demo then I am sold. I shall pick up my Wii U in January when it becomes more available.