Wich drive for gaming?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by SplashDown, Feb 12, 2014.

1. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Hey guys, looking to get another drive just for my games and that's all. Heres the 2 Im looking at .... Western Digital 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Raptor or even 10,000 rpm one .... or this 1 ... Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III SSD. obviously Im leaning to the SSD, but if I'm just using for gaming will it even make a difference wich one I use. As of now I'm out of room on my OS Win7 64 SSD for games, I have to uninstall one game to play another, so in a nutshell will the raptor play just as good, plus I get more room with raptor for same price. But its for gaming so I want to get the right 1. I know SSD is faster but with just gaming will it even make a difference ? Please only peeps that know what there talkin about respond, I appreciate everyones time and effort to answer so thank you very much in advance, Peace Peeps Splash

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Depends on the game, if it uses texture streaming then yeah SSD may help fps somewhat. Also handy on games that load a lot of new areas (like Skyrim), it won't improve fps though.

If you're budget conscious I'd just go for the WD since for 85% of games all u really gain is a few seconds less loading time.
    Btw that 10K drive is not gonna be any better than the 7200 when it comes to gaming.

On the other hand if u have more cash than u know what to do with, by all means grab an SSD. lol

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Instead of the WD 1tb 7200 rpm one i'd recommend the Seagate SSHD Hybrid, Its faster especially if its buffered. I play guild wars 2 and a guildie has an SSD and most of the time i load the maps as fast as him sometimes faster. He has 8gb Ram and 2 660's , forgot his cpu though. But it depends on what you play i guess, like Pill said. But still ,get the SSD,everyone should have an SSD in their pc XD.

4. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    +1, guess a hybrid makes sense.

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thx guys appreciate.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I have a 1tb velociraptor 10000 rpm and its great...a little expensive but more reliable than an ssd

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It kinda shocks me to learn that for the same $ i spent on a 150GB several years ago, I can now get a 1TB 1,000RPM 'drive from the same company....

No one mentioned RAID-0 for this purpose?

2 x 250GB WD Raptor's for roughly 1/3 of the price per drive...running in RAID-0, it'll be twice as fast, yummy.

Personal take on this - get an SSD (or 2x in RAID-0!) for games/OS and use HDD for storage.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Raid 0 won't influence game performance because game data isn't read sequentially, usually it's random access.

That's why SSD's can sometimes make a difference.....

RAID is really overated on a home PC tbh...sure benchmarks look impressive but it needs to be used in a server environment with about 20 drives to make any real impact.

Often it's used for redundancy and tolerance not just pure speed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Raid 0 can help even for games in some situations.
    Also, you don't need 20 drives for workstations where things like video editing etc. is better with raid 0 than 5.
    Although, raid 0 is used as a swap drive and not as storage in such situations, regardless, SSD is still a lot better and safer, or one could go raid 10.
    There is another thing to consider regarding raid, without real raid controllers there will be a significant CPU overhead.

@OP
    If you really want SSD, Samsung EVO drives are probably the cheapest with high performance, so for just games I would recommend such, since game data is not important tolerance wise.
    For OS and important files you should take something with better chips.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yeah I admit 20 drives was a slight exaggeration - I'm just saying RAID with 2 drives is a bit meh....:p

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Got all my games installed on my Samsung SSD and most of them only show a mild increase in loading times. The only one so far showing a gigantic increase in loading time is BF4.

In BF4 if noone on the opposing team has an SSD you can actually cap flags before they even spawn...

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Increase or decrease? :p

Strange, I remember in BF2 when starting a new round I would often be first ready, but the game wouldn't start until all players had joined.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Raid 0 ssds is where its at.

14. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Just a note from myself... I have a ton of games installed and opted to go the 1TB Velociraptor 10k rpm drive for them. My OS and apps are installed on a 600GB Velociraptor 10k rpm drive. I did notice an improvement in both my OS responsiveness and game load times coming from a 1TB Caviar Black drive (Which is now my internal backup and data storage drive).