Samsung 950 PRO speed problem

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by terrybogard, Feb 2, 2016.

1. terrybogard

terrybogard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 2080 RTX
    Hey guys I really need your help.

Just bought the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 disk.
    I have a ASUS Rampage V USB 3.0 with the newest bios installed (1902).

The problem is that Samsung Magician (Version 4.9.5) shows that the disk only performs 5Gbps insted of 10Gbps in "link speed" (PCI-toPCI Bridge) where 10 is the maximum

The NVM drivers from Samsung is up to date (Version 1.1) and I have also set the "PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration" option to "M.2"

The other and REAL problem is that I get terrible scores in Magician. The Sequential Read, Random Read and Random Write shows very low scores but the Sequential Write shows an OK performance.
    Theres is no doubt in my mind that the 950 PRO also has lower performance than my 850 EVO PRO

I am using Windows 10 64bit and everything is updated.

Can ANYONE please help me :)

2. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Had same problem after resetting my bios. I noticed my 950PRO wasn't running at the correct speed anymore,
    I fixed it by changing few things in the bios, Check screenshots for more info

Screenshots

changing the above settings in the bios got it working at full speed again.

Warning tho, changing CSM can lead to issues depending how your system is setup. like raid configuration, etc.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If I may ask, what does DMI (second screenie) do? Haven't got any M2 SSDs, but I was always wondering what it does.
    Also interesting that disabling CSM helped you get something running :D

4. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090

"DMI 2.0, introduced in 2011, doubles the data transfer rate to 2 GB/s with a ×4 link. It is used to link an Intel CPU with the Intel Platform Controller Hub (PCH), which supersedes the historic implementation of a separate northbridge and southbridge."

Its basically the communication speed for the CPU to PCH, if disabled can cause a bottleneck.

I think DMI is enabled by default on our motherboards, And disabling CSM is a force of habit of mine I always tend to disable it if not needed, since most hardware has a UEFI driver, I never noticed the need to enable it.

5. terrybogard

terrybogard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 2080 RTX
    I solved the problem with the PCI-to-PCI bridge. It had something to do with the auto tuning feature in the bios. When I reset the Bios to it's standard settings, the problem resolved itself. But the low Random Read etc. still bothers me and still exists :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/775osjl3qvg6vxh/AADrL2fJYVNmrOikJm_BwTPTa?dl=0

What is your benchmark specs???

At the same time I want to ask, are there any programs out there on the net which has the same feature as Samsung Magicians "RAPID MODE"???

Think it has something to do with "Ram Cache" but I am not sure, but would love that feature on my 950 Pro even though it may require a program from a 3rd party vendor :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    RAPID mode is basically caching files into the ram to then be written to the SSD, but the 950PRO is so fast I doesn't make any real world difference. you might see some cosmetic benefits like benchmarks but otherwise its kinda useless.

There are some 3rd party programs that do something like RAPID mode, but again doesn't really help with SSD's, maybe if you used it combined with a mechanical HDD.

fancy cache

Just a random question, I noticed one of your screenshots show it running at 5Gbps, How are you connecting the M.2 drive? are you using the M.2 port or an PCI-E adapter? also did you follow the screenies I posted? changing the PCI-E ports to gen3 and such?

I'm using 3 GPUs and a sound card with a 950Pro with the dedicated M.2 port on the motherboard and its running at full speed for me.

im getting read 1700~and 1200~ write speed. with Crystal DiskMark benchmark.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. terrybogard

terrybogard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 2080 RTX
    Well it is mounted in the M.2 dedicated port on the motherboard :)

I used the same settings as your screenshots showed. The only one that I didn't use was the CSM where you disabled this feature. The reason for me doing so, is because my machine then locks up for some reason. Probably because some of my hardware isn't UEFI compatible. But thats just a theory of mine ;-)

Oh and by the way, the screenshot with the 5gbps in it, is an old picture BEFORE I figured out that it had something to do with the auto tuning of my motherboard. Like I said before, it is fixed now after I set the Bios to it standard settings :)

Hmmm well it is a shame if the ram cache don't have any benefits. I thought that it would have made it much faster as it did with the Samsung 850 EVO pro I own.
    Which by the way reminds me, why is it that Samsung Magician tells one that only ONE drive is able to run in Rapid mode???!! And does this also mean that FancyCache only can cahce ram to ONE drive at a time, like Samsung Magician.

Thank you in advance. You have been a great help :)

8. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Yeh Samsung have limited rapid mode to one drive, fancy cache can be used on multiple drives, be warned tho, using ram cache can be bad if there is a sudden power cut since files are stored in the ram for a period of time before written to the SDD/HDD, so these files can be corrupted.

Glad you managed to resolve the issue! :)

9. terrybogard

terrybogard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 2080 RTX
    One question though. I found out that the program has gone from being called FancyCache to PrimoCache. Looks like PrimoCache is the most updated version and is compatible with Windows 10.

But my question is, how do you make a ram cached drive where youre operating system is stored?

The reason for me asking is because if you follow this youtube tutorial, you need to format the drive first before you are able to make a cache drive :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJq0oSrFfc

Primocache can be found here:

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/download.html