Seagate 6TB not recognized by Windows

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Shivgounder, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Shivgounder

Shivgounder Guest

GPU:
    Corsair Vengeance16 gb
    My Seagate 6TB HDD model no. ST6000NM0004 is not recognized by Windows. My OS Windows 7, Motherboard Intel-DZ77SL50K,Processor-i5-3570.My HDD is not recognized in BIOS and My Computer ,but shown in Device Manager. When tried to initialize the drive, message received was an I/O error occurred and the capacity shown was 128 GB.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I assume it is a new drive, and not an existing drive that has stopped working? I believe the drive needs to be initialised as GPT.

open an elevated command prompt (right click 'Command prompt' in start menu and select 'Run as Administrator', or type in CMD in search and do the same).

Type the following followed by enter:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk
    # (where # is the 6 TB drive)
    clean
    convert GPT
    create partition primary
    assign
    format quick
    exit

Do NOT get the disk wrong when you select the disk! Only do this if there is no data on the 6 TB drive.

It should now show in Windows. keep in mind that it may or may not be bootable depending on you motherboard, it should be though. However, it won't be bootable from Windows 7. In any case, I'm guessing it is just for storage?

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I would try the following:
    Motherboard update to the latest UEFI firmware
    Hdd also update to the latest firmware
    Try another SATA3 port and another cable
    Also with a 3rd party partition software
    Give us some feedback
    Cheers!

4. Shivgounder

Shivgounder Guest

GPU:
    Corsair Vengeance16 gb
    After cleaning when trying to convert to GPT it says that DISK PART has encountered an error.The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. This is a new disk and I am using for storage purposes only.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's strange.

I notice the specs you said in the original post are different to what is in your sig. Do you have multiple systems? If so, try the drive in the other rig and see if the same thing occurs. If it does, the disk is likely faulty. If it doesn't, it's probably because the old motherboard doesn't support it. It would be surprising if that is the case though, it would only come down to poor support by the board manufacturer. Sometimes these things happen, but they should be resolved with a firmware update. See if there is an updated firmware for you motherboard, and if so update :).

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Worst case scenario:

Do a test with http://www.seagate.com/be/nl/support/downloads/seatools/ run SMART, Short DST, Short Generic and Long Generic.

Keep in mind, on a 6TB HDD that Long Generic could take well over several hours though, keep it running when you're at work/sleeping.

If any of them fail, you have a broken HDD.

7. Chaython

Chaython Guest

GPU:
    AMD/7970/3GB
    I/O error, is relative to driver or firmware or hardware[motherboard].
    Your sata controller probably doesn't recognize such a large format disc
    My 5tb Seagate was pre partitioned as a 2tb/3tb, because most controllers have a limitation of only recognizing 3tb[if not two], even windows neglected to format a partition larger than 3tb However windows 8+ Supports these drives fully
    To format my 5tb I used mini tools partition wizard, GPT NTFS disc

8. 1tpg1

1tpg1 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks to you!

Thanks! That worked perfectly for me. I wasted 2 hours trying to find this post on the googles! I'll post it on my site timsbitz.com for others to find as well.:banana::):bang:

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

No worries :)

On a new drive, I favour using 'clean all' instead of 'clean'. Clean all writes zero's to every sector of the disk that can be written to. Regardless of whether it actually makes the disk more reliable or not, at least it's a way of fully testing the disk before relying it to data.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So what was the reason for it not being properly initialized by the Windows Disk Management tool?

Edit: I just realized the guy who said his problem is solved is not the OP. :bonk:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015