Asus Soar,Raid Pro,DLX sound cards

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by goat1, Jan 26, 2016.

1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Why isn't anyone talking about these. ESlik? I figured you would be all over these. Its funny, my Razer Barracuda AC-1 still sounds great. I'm thinking about picking up the Raid DLX.

http://www.asus.com/us/Sound-Cards/STRIX-Gaming-Series-Products/

What do you guys think about these cards?

Will 124 SNR on the Raid DLX be noticeable over 116 SNR on the Soar?

The SNR on my Barracuda is 117. I also have a Recon3d and the SNR is 102.

2. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Seriously? 58 views and no responses? :(

3. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I was curious because it's a first for me as well.
    But other than that, I don't have anything useful to add, really.
    Sorry.
    ask Robsix?

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Would think he would chime in by himself, but I'll Pm him. Looks like a good card. I'm not familiar with the internals like some people on this board.

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Was about to buy one, but then I found user reviews, that they have unstable drivers(static noises, other problems) so I went to (shame)Creative zx, which is rather good card anyway...

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I heard the same thing. I'm still using my trusty Razer Barracuda AC-1. Using Vista drivers and works flawlessly with Win 10..

7. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    You gave the answer yourself; great sound 5 years ago is still great sound now unlike graphics. People who bought a decent Xonar sound card 5 years ago have no reason whatsoever to "upgrade" to a Strix series card.
    I have to dig up the review but when you compare the RMAA numbers of the old Xonar D2X and the new Strix series you'll see there's hardly any improvement except for the stereo crosstalk.
    Strix series is just an slightly updated Phoebus with the same none excising support from Asus. Everyone is avoiding the Strix series like the plague because of that that and the few people stupid enough to actually buy it without reading the user experiences complain on the Asus forums how bad it is.
    There is no point in looking at the Strix series if you already have a barracuda... you can even use UNi drivers with it if i remember correctly.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The reason i bought STX II was not because it was good, and it is awesome card but because i knew it will get supported via uni xonar in case of asus not support it, and guess what? only 1 BETA driver for windows 10 from september...

Don't buy any xonar card they have no support.

9. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    Actually most Xonars are supported by the UNi Xonar driver project. It's the Phoebus/Strix/Externals from Asus you want to stay away from.

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Yeah i wrote something funny consider i have STX, i had my Phoebus and it was so bad... get a Xonar card instead or creative.

11. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Well boys, I went against my better judgement and ordered the DLX. I'll have it Friday and I will give you guys my impressions of it. It has a $30 mail in rebate also, so it brings it down to about $190.. Not bad..

12. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    This card is not available in Canada. The only outlet that has the card listed, is on back order. It's also $350.00 plus taxes and shipping. I have the Asus Strix 7.1 headphones with the same little sound pod for selecting the gaming pre-sets. All four pre-sets were horrible. Everything about that headset is horrible. Granted, the built in sound card may be the reason for the crappy sound, but this made me a bit wary of buying the Strix brand. I'll wait for your review goat1. I'll pay the $350.00 for the card, but it better be worth it. Looking forward to your comments goat.

13. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    ESlik my brother.. There you are .. I wouldn't pay that much for this card. I got it on Amazon overnighted for $5.99.. That's a great deal. I can't possibly imagine that it would blow a ZXR away, in fact, I bet they are pretty similar.

The one thing I like about the Strix, is with the pod I can switch between headphones and speakers by just clicking the volume dial. It also keeps them in memory so when you switch between them, the sound level is where you left off.. I'll give you guys a good review, but it won't be a Robscix kind of review. :p

14. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Wow, yesterday and earlier today Amazon was out of the Asus Raid DLX, they got some in today, there were 12, now there is only 1 left. They are flying off the shelf.. Not too many are scared to buy it. It can always be returned also if it has issues..

15. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    Personally i find 190 quite a lot, a little bit more and you can get something like an Objective2 which will blow the DLX out of the water.

16. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    How does the objective 2 blow it out of the water?

17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Goat1

Rep: 0 (Unique: 0)

I having been using the Strix Raid DLX for the last 2 days, doing and A/B comparison with my Razer Barracuda AC-1. Personally, there isn't much difference. I think the DLX has the edge, but its so small it isn't worth spending $219 on the DLX over Barracuda. In BF4 they sound almost identical. With music, its really close. The control box is cool on the DLX, but I don't even really use it.

I'll probably stick with my barracuda. I also have a Recon3d, which is not as good as the other two offerings. I think getting a Soar would be fine, or a Sound blaster Z. The positional audio is really good on the DLX. I'm not a dolby fan and the virtual surround sound on the DLX sound very similar to the THX studio on the Recon3d which I like.

I've had no real issues with the software. There was a time the control box wouldn't switch between headphones and speakers. When not in use, the control box does a Knight Rider type strobe with the lights which is really cool. I'm watching it right now. I doubt I'll keep it. I'd rather keep the Barracuda/ Recon3d and maybe add a Schitt Vali 2/Modi uber 2. That way I get a great amp and dac, plus I can use the surround sound settings of those cards as well.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    You tried all 3 of the Virtual surround settings beside the balance setting, there suppose to be 3 settings.

19. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    It does have 3 surround modes. The balance setting is the best. I don't even know why you need the other 2.

What do you think of this comment?

I'd rather keep the Barracuda/ Recon3d and maybe add a Schitt Vali 2/Modi uber 2. That way I get a great amp and dac, plus I can use the surround sound settings of those cards as well.

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Personally I don't blame you, I did the same thing years ago. I have a SBZ which I use with my Gustard X12 and H10 for that very same reason for that surround DSP when I game or other functions when I watch comcast streaming to fix comcast trashy web player volume issues with the Smart volume function.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016