AMD's Vice President Leaves Company to Join Samsung Electronics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Watcher, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...aves_Company_to_Join_Samsung_Electronics.html

2. Konrad

Konrad Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 MSI LIGHTNING
    Leaving the sinking ship

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It would be better if all the traitors and people with no dedication left fast rather than make AMD look worse and worse.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Then y u no dedicated to using AMD hardware, eh?
    And talking about 'no dedication' for a guy who's been there from 1988 is a bunch of crock.

5. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    One thing for sure he didnt leave because of his health condition or his age he prolly knows the company is not going any where good.

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm not the one moving company secrets to the competition + I don't think it's good for the company to have top chairs occupied by people who are busy looking for another job.

7. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    Why would Samsung want these people that helped ruin AMD ?

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    The new consoles should give AMD plenty of $$$.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Oh, sure, and anecdotal evidence is surely making that 'fact' any more valid.
    Ever thought that 'company secrets' of an IT company are mostly patentable techs that's probably already patented by the company he previously worked for?
    Therefore bringing 'company secrets' to another company rather moot or even pointless?

If you really think the top positions in companies around the world aren't mostly filled by someone from another company with experience in a similar field, you are gravely oblivious.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  10. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I agree and Samsung is a new power on the market, so it is right to take the best people to them.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    It is not that they are the best, it is just how the business world operates. They are filling a position with a person who has held a similiar position and rank; experience. There is less risk involved than filling the position with a person who has never held a similar position and/or rank.

Plus, the one rule: The only way a company changes is from the top down. Followed by the axiom: Management never cuts its own throat. AMD is not only "digging in" but trying really hard to reinvent itself. Sometimes certain individuals need to leave inorder to acomplish this.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    My point is that if you're looking for another job, it's rather better for the company if you left soon, as your commitment and long-term planning abilities may be crippled. Patents aren't the only intellectual property that's valuable, you have to remember about strategic planning, and knowledge from private discussions on CEO levels. And for the new company, as Clouseau mentioned, it's safer to get someone experienced.

We'll have yet to see how this change will affect AMD, as I think that it's a great opportunity for Samsung. Perhaps it'll be like with the Windows guy (Steven Sinfosky) in Microsoft who was asked to leave for his destructive behavior, perhaps it will turn out Michael Goddard was keeping AMD from falling apart, or perhaps not much will change. We'll have to wait for the effects.

I'd really like AMD to stay in x86 market (and GPU market too). 100% Intel-dominant position would be unhealthy. But what will AMD guys do? Can they catch up or look for some new targets? I really like how you can build a cheap microserver on AMD (eg ECC memory, VT-d/IOMMU support), and it's difficult to achieve that with Intel parts at such cost. Maybe they'll go in this direction.