GPU Monitor Gadget 2.0 Released

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Your a star dude. Thanks

If your planning any newer versions let me know as i'd be happy to beta test.

2. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    I appreciate the offer, and will keep it in mind. But to be honest with you.....I'm all out of ideas now. So unless there are some decent suggestions for improvement from you guys, I may not have an update for a while.

3. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Nick.. You know win7 nows has the abillity to resize sidebar gadgets on desktop.. Have you thought about giving that a try.?

4. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, Windows 7 added a Small/Large option. But it's just the Docked/Undocked feature in the Vista sidebar, just reworded because there is no longer a "docked" state in 7. Actually, they've renamed Siebar Gadgets to Desktop Gadgets, as there is no longer a sidebar...they just live and float around on the desktop.

Perhaps I'll play around with this a bit. I did get this request before....but have trouble imagining what should fill the extra width. Wider bars would look silly. A second row can just be accomplished now with a second gadget. And graphs would better lend themselves to being displayed in the RivaTuner hardware monitor window.

Any ideas in particular you had in mind? The only specific request I had in the past was larger fonts, from a user displaying it on his plasma television.

5. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Having an option to select font size would be nice. Also some sort of warning (alarm or desktop popup txt) if your were to exceed rpm limits or breach a tempreture level would be useful.

6. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, I'll give it some thought. I've had the request for audible alerts for thresholds as well. But in my opinion, this is better implemented in the RivaTuner task scheduler, and not the gadget.

Just for a simple example, you can create a scheduler item that launches an application. For the application, you can define "cmd" and for the arguments define "/k echo WARNING: GPU Temperature is too high". Then when the GPU temp breaks the threshold and triggers the scheduler item, you get a command window that opens with the message.

This obviously is not elegant, but you get the idea. It would be better to create a script that takes an arguement (text, path to .wav file, etc) and use same script with different arguments for any values you want to monitor. There is tons of free stuff on the web for anyone willing to spend a few minutes and configure it. Or maybe I'll write something and post it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  7. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Nick can i pick at you brain here.. Do you know if there is a way to quit desktop gadget without using the task manager in win7..? Some sort of script the can written and dumped to desktop and launched when i want to quit the process.. Re launching is not a problem as a right mouse click gives an option to re launch the process.
    Thanks for feedback on this dude.

8. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    You can probably just create a text file and name it kill-sidebar.bat. In the file put the contents:

taskkill /IM sidebar.exe

Is that what you are asking for?

9. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Thanks for respsonce Dude.. On the right track. Done what you said but its only killing one of the gadgets and not quitting the desktop gadget process as a whole.. Does that make sense..?

10. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Done.. Used what you suggested but added /F /IM "sidebar.exe"
    No i can assign this to a key on g15 and kill the sidebar before entering game.
    Your a STAR dude. thanks

11. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Cool. Or if you don't want to loose a key on the G15 or have a file on your desktop, then just create a launcher item in RivaTuner that launches taskkill with the arguments and assign it a keyboard shortcut of your choice.

Also, I'm not sure why it would not close them all without the /F flag as they are all running in the same process, which is what you are killing. Just be careful that it could be possible to corrupt the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Settings.ini" file if other gadgets are constantly writing to it (GPU Monitor doesn't).

12. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I played around with the size option a little. This changes the fonts from 9/10 pt to 12/13 pt. It stretches a bit in the width, but only stetches the height enough to accomodate the larger fonts.

So in Vista, it will still use the small size when docked, and use the larger size when not on the sidebar. In Win 7, you can set the size to whichever you prefer using the size toggle button or the right click context menu as pictured.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Let me know if you guys would like this to be included in the next update.

Thanks,
    Nick

13. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Hi Nick.. WOW That looks great dude... +1 for next update..:supercool

14. Brama

Brama Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080ti
    With the new drivers, video memory occupation, gpu load, video load and some other parameters are available.

Why don' you think to put them in your great gadget?

15. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    The gadget displays whatever RivaTuner does. Unwinder already mentioned these readings will be in version 2.25. So they will be in the gadget without any changes. You'll just need to run the updated drivers and RivaTuner 2.25 when it comes out.

16. deadcells

deadcells New Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XT
    RT Hardware Monitoring data not found

Hi,

I've been using the GPUMonitor for quite a while now and I must say... IT'S AWESOME !!! Good job.

However, a few days back I upgraded to windows 7 ultimate x64, the latest RT "v2.24 MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009 edition" and GPUMonitor 2.2 and something seems to have gone wrong. The monitor is displaying the msg "RT Hardware Monitoring data not found".

Have checked that RT background monitoring is on... the statistics server is running although i'm not sure if that's necessary... and everything else seems fine.

I won't pretend to be an expert here but from what little i know it seems the monitor is looking in the wrong place for the data. If this is possible then how do i change the path so that it looks in the right place. The reason for this suspicion is that I upgraded from vista rather than doing a fresh install and windows created duplicate user directories. Therefore, if the data is logged in the user's tmp directory then it may still be looking in the old one.

Any help would be great.

Thanx.

17. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    What version of Riva are you using 2.24 or 2.24c?

18. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Nick.. It your pic above.. You got Vrm Readings.. What sorce are you collecting thoses readings from?

19. deadcells

deadcells New Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XT
    2.24c... will changing to 2.24 make a difference?

20. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    2.24c is the latest version. The only thing i can suggest is to remove NV display drivers & Riva & Msi & GPU Gadget. Boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper and clear out NV reg files.. Re-install Nv Drivers (try using 195.62) and then install RT then install GPU gadget. And test to see if gadget has connected. Don't install MSI until you have tested NV drivers RT & GPU Gadget. Hope this helps