More control over fans.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HonoredShadow, Jul 22, 2014.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I have:
    3 x 120mm Noctua fans at the front of my case
    2 x 140mm Noctua fans on the top of the case
    1 x 140mm Noctua fan at the back of the case
    I have 2 x 120mm Noctua fans attached to my Noctua heatsink on the CPU.

My case is the one in my sig. I have a spare hard drive bay at the bottom of the case. I guess this is a 3.5". I also have a spare slot next to my DVD drive (front).

I would like more control of all of my fans. I am guessing the Corsair Link Cooling Kit might do the trick but as I am new to all of this, I am completely lost!

Any advice for a beginner would be great!

2. thommo

thommo Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX680 SLI
    I personally would look at something like a Lamptron Touch and use a couple of 3 pin fan splitters connected to the fans so you can control say the 3 top fans via one channel so they all work the same

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    What is wrong with doing that with the Corsair?

http://www.overclockers.com/lamptron-touch-fan-controller-review/

The only problem with this is that is that it looks complicated with voltages etc. I would not need that. Also I only have drive bays at the front that are vertical so the display would be on it's side.

Remember, I'm a noob! :D

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Use this for your fans.....
    http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.htm
    Calculate and add it all up, the total will be the amount you can use per channel.

Go get a fan controller that will suit your needs. Sometimes when you put more than 1 fan on 1 channel and set the speed to say 600rpm the heatsinks can get hot because they get hotter the slower that you run them. If this happens the fans will ramp up to there rated speed for example 1200rpm until the heatsinks cool down.

I couldnt be bothered to research which controllers had good heatsinks, i just went and purchased a watercooled fan controller which was the Aquareo and the software is fantastic. You can run the Aquaero with or without a waterblock.

Lamptron do some good controllers also but i could not find any that could be watercooled.

Get good quality fan splitters like Bitfenix as they make a difference.