GTX 680 2GB Sli vs GTX780ti 3GB SLi

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PurSpyk!!, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I had 2 4gb 680 myself. Love my upgade though.

2. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    yep, anyways two of my fav games use +3gb, even on single 760 so yeah.
    @1080 no less yup. (no aa)

3. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    You must be one of those from the 25 -30 fps is OK group...

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If that. Lot of console gamers coming over to the PC lately, we'll just have to be patient.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yup, the aftermath from the high volume traffic WD brought in.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I can confirm that 2 780ti was a humongous upgrade from 2 4gb 680. Where were you goldie when I was selling my cards. Took 6 weeks to sell both of em.

7. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    There is no doubt, that 2x 780 ti's performs alot better than 2x 680, but its not quite twice the performance... but 70 % better perfomance would be ok, if they just had more vram - i dont understand why nvidia couldnt make half the ram modules 256 mb, and half 512 mb, giving it 4,5 gb... then it would still be smaller, and lack DP compared to titan Black, but would be alot more appealing to alot of gamers (including me) who wants a bigger buffer for high quality textures and AA.

Out of curiousity, what did you sell your classys for?

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    They were the ftw+ model. 300 and 250 usd.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Then it would be an asymmetrical memory design where you have a 384-bit bus up to the first 3GB then half of that for the remaining 1.5GB. Black box memory management on high-end products is a no-go. It's been done on the 550Ti, 660, 660Ti (the last two having had a 192-bit bus with 64-bit available for the last 0.5GB on the 2GB models) already.

10. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    No i mean still on a 384 bit bus - not a odd bit of 192 as on 660. Couldnt you on a 384 bit bus let 3 of the 6 memory controllers use 512 mb memory modules, and the other 3 use 1024 mb ? Just as you can use different sizes of memory modules on your system.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I just explained what would happen. All memory controllers are used at one time to give you a 384-bit memory interface.

If you use different size memory modules on your system in x-channel mode, then you will have x-channel performance for the first x*(lowest size) only, then (most likely) single channel for the rest.

If you were mixing memory sizes across different banks, keeping every x channels with matched sizes, you would get x-channel performance all the time.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  12. J STEEL

J STEEL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    I just finally got my other GTX680 FTW+ into my rig a few days ago that I bought months ago but could not install it due to me breaking the 2nd PCI slot in my Z68 board by being stupid. I decided to wait to get a new setup to install both in, and now that they are both in with both of them using full X16 lanes, performance is great! By the time I upgrade, it will be when the 900 series comes out as I don't need the power of 780TI right now. Though that power and temps are tempting!

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    How the hell did you break a pci slot? Are you new to pc's?

14. J STEEL

J STEEL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    LOL, no. Impatience is what broke it. I could not get the locking mechanism on the slot to let go of the card as I had to remove it to route a cable properly and I just pulled straight up and pulled half the slot with it. I was so pissed. Instead of taking my time and grabbing something to release the second card, I H-man it and that was the outcome. First time in the 12 years I have been building my own computers. That is why I said I broke it stupidly! :O

15. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Perhaps take a chill pill before fiddling with your computer?

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tbh ive been a victim of Raging on hardware in the past many many moons ago.

17. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Upgraded from 680sli last year and so glad I did, noticed a big improvement in the games I play, having constant higher frames works well with my 144hz screen, bring on that rog swift 1440p screen should give my cards a good workout:)

18. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    No wait your two gtx 680,s are practical faster then my gtx690, dont get any card atm wait just wait till nvidia comes with 6gb,s 780 ti,s or 800 serie, dont buy a 780 ti atm, the lag of more then 3 gb vram wil get u sooner or later.

I am not saying that a 780 ti is a bad card, but what some already say games like watchdogs, wolfenstein, and even upcoming games, probably the witcher 3 is also one i think wil use more then 3 gb of vram memory on ultra settings mark my words.

And ofcourse u get double the speed, and higher fps, but then again the card still only have 3 gb of vram limit, try watchdogs with that on ultra textures, u will see what i mean, u get constant freezings every second or so.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  19. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Well although i agree, the last part isnt entirely true - you can use ultra textures with 3gb vram without serious stuttering, but then you cant use AA... if you use ultra textures + AA with 3gb vram, the game will be more or less unplayable due to stuttering.

Just like how it is with 2gb vram and high textures... so if you have 3gb vram and play Watch dogs, you can either use ultra textures and no AA, or high textures and 4x AA.