Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    in my windows 8.1 install. I didnt have MEI 11.0.0.144, I had the driver windows update game which was 8.1

then I switched to MEI 11.0.0.144

and load times increased in Soma. took almost 2 minutes for the games to load.

uninstalled MEI 11.0.0.144

load times speed up in Soma.

this might happened because it seems MEI drivers effect sata speeds. and Im only using microsoft achi driver.

2. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    We aren't talking about religion here. this is all verifiable.

If you find a directx game with native double buffered vsync, that works with nvidia control triple buffering, please do post it.

i'd be glad to hear it works, as I never found a game where it does yet.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Its one of those thing like if you keep repeating it people will start believing it.
    Triple buffering in NVCP is OpenGL only. it used to say that (with image) in the older control panel

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yes. D3D does not even have TB. It can use an extra queue, which is what people now call "triple buffering", but *actual* triple buffering is not possible in D3D.

Frankly, I'm not even sure that the TB setting in the NVCP is even enabling actual TB for OpenGL, or if it just adds an extra queue.

The last time I remember getting real TB was with a Voodoo card, running Glide games :p

You can tell that TB works if you get higher FPS than your refresh rate even if V-Sync is enabled. Because that is what real TB actually does. If you enable V-Sync and TB, and the FPS is still capped to your monitor's refresh rate, then TB is *not* working.

5. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Exactly.

6. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Your credibility kinds goes out the window when you say Skyrim is smooth.

That game will always, ALWAYS stutter no matter what.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it runs smooth @60 fps for me other then in certain scene that bottleneck on my system.

maybe maybe people have issue with there system the should check out..

there are to many config and setups to account for what works for 1 person just fine dont mean it will work they same for others, PC's are not consoles were the hardware is used in ever system and same drivers/software.

So your creditably is just as suspect.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My stuttering I had a few drivers back got solved by, I dont know what :) DA:I plays smoothly every time.

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    do you have any links to back this up? First time I heard of triple buffered vsync going above refresh rate.

never had skyrim stutter.

10. pesticle

pesticle Guest

GPU:
    980GTX 4GB
    I don't recall having stutter issues in Skyrim either...

In fallout 3 and new vegas I think I had some pretty annoying stuttering though

11. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Not sure what people consider a stutter or stuttering, personal tolerance levels will vary.

I think Nexxusting is right though. By now I've seen, played and tested Skyrim om so many different systems, at home, at the office, at friends, at LAN parties, you name it. Slow systems, fast systems, desktops, laptops, tablets. SSD disks, regular disks. Skyrim is NEVER stutter free. A rock solid 60fps like in id software's Rage is just impossible.

You might be able to tolerate it, on a fast system with SSD the stutters aren't really a hindrance for most people's enjoyment. They're there though.

12. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    It is on mine, I just play it vanilla with hi res textures and 8xMSAA

Using FPSclamp 60...I never dip below that and it gets rid of all the stutter, even when crossing borders and I play it from an HDD.

RAGE is also rock solid 60 with the same level of MSAA

13. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I don´t consider some ocassional slight hiccup when loading a new part of the world a stuttering problem, at least not for open world games. It´s not like the witcher 3 before deleting nvidia´s apex dll in midrange kepler, huge difference:

Ps.- Embedded video looks jerky on this site for me, in youtube is fine.

Also the other day after installing the 359.06, AC syndicate became jittery and stuttery, rolled back to the previous driver and the problem was still there. Fix was to set physx to cpu in the nvidia control panel. Setting it back to automatic didn´t bring the problem back though, dunno if the procedure fixes the nvidia stuff or keeps it broken for good lol. Anyway, seems like another driver bug.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  14. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Which driver did you roll back to?

15. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950

16. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    When do we know to use Physx CPU or GPU ?

17. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    You should leave the option on automatic, I think this is affecting old Kepler cards only.

18. bugsixx

bugsixx Guest

GPU:
    x
    368.69 stutter

19. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    I want congratulate everyone in this thread, the attention got has caused intel and microsoft to tweak the timer resolution. The intel tech access is no longer.

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    ?

What exactly does this mean? I'm thinking of finally moving from 365.19 up to the most recent drivers.