Windows Firewall being a ****ter

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by dk_lightning, Apr 7, 2017.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I am trying to open port 1723 for a vpn connection. But windows firewall is not playing ball.

I tried some other ports as a test like 27015 for my gmod server witch was working but isnt now so I know windows firewall has decided to be a ****!

What the hell is wrong with it?? If I port scan 27015 or 1723 they show as "stealth" ie. no response.. If i turn off windows firewall the ports show as "closed"

Please help as I am about to throw my PC through a window at M$ Head office.. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't you need to open them in the router port forwarding section?

3. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Yeah I did all that but still no go..

I give up with it and have gone on to plan B.

My router supports DD-WRT witch has a built in VPN server.

I have just this second set it up and got dynamic dns and vpn server going and its working!

I can now connect from my phone to my vpn and use my home internet connection via my 4g..

O2 seem to be throttling me so wanted to do some testing via VPN I know has the speed I need. My home internet is a 20Mbps upload.

My issue is on 4G i could get a speedtest of 50Mbps yet youtube would only play 720p.. At 1080 or more it would buffer like a mofo.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice one, yea I run DD-WRT on my routers too, a lot more control and options than stock firmware, and a lot more regular firmware updates too

2 x Routers that were dropped from manufacturers support many years ago are currently running the latest version of DD-WRT on both, I use one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz

5. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    True dat.

I have a TPLINK WDR3600 I am running it on. Had it for quite a few years!

I have dabbled with the DDWRT firmware on and off with this router but I have just been using it as a wifi ap but now its my main router xD