G-sync/V-sync on Asus PG258Q - max FPS?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fleggy, May 15, 2017.

1. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hello,

I bought Asus PG258Q (240Hz, GSync). I played Prey (G-Sync ON) and noticed that max. FPS depends on V-Sync setting.
    The same scene
    V-Sync OFF: max FPS = 144Hz
    V-Sync ON: max FPS > 144Hz
    I thought that V-Sync ON should play role only if FPS > 240Hz using G-Sync on this monitor. Is there a reasonable explanation of this behavior?
    Windows 10 CU 64-bit, 1080ti, driver 382.19

Thanks

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    In-game vsync settings can sometimes act weird. I don't know if Prey does that, but it's generally always a good idea to always disable vsync in the in-game settings and enable it in the nvidia panel. Even with games that don't have issues, setting in-game vsync to OFF makes sure you're not using triple buffering (many games use triple buffered vsync, which is useless for g-sync; all it does it add one frame of input lag without any benefit.)

So, set in-game vsync to OFF, nvidia panel vsync to ON and see if that changes anything.

Also, are you using 240Hz mode? Confirm in your monitor's OSD what the refresh rate is when playing the game. And make sure you're running fullscreen mode and that in the nvidia panel "Preferred refresh rate" is set to "Highest available."

Note that when changing the "Configure G-Sync" settings in the nvidia panel, the vsync and preferred refresh rate settings will automatically change. I don't know if it's a bug or intended, but every time you change g-sync settings, you need to go back to 3D settings and reconfigure these again.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  3. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, I set ingame V-Sync OFF and fiddled with NVCP V-Sync. It had no impact. Monitor's OSD FPS:
    ingame OFF, NVCP ON: 144 FPS
    ingame OFF, NVCP OFF: 144 FPS
    ingame ON, NVCP ON: 160 FPS
    ingame ON, NVCP OFF: 160 FPS

I tried the native resolution, DSR resolution, all the same (just higher FPS in the native res). Maybe it is Prey specific behavior. I'll try another games later.
    And other relevant NVCP settings: G-Sync full screen mode only, highest available refresh rate, single display perf.mode

4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Do you have monitor driver installed in Device Manager?

5. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, I do. Screen refresh rate = 240Hz.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Prey has an FPS cap. Here's how to remove it:

Directions

7. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks, I'll try it. It seems that the FPS cap plays no role when ingame V-Sync is ON.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    To make the most out of G-Sync, change the FPS cap to 236.

Note however, that if your FPS fluctuates in the game (sometimes you get 236, other times you get 150, etc.) then your input lag and motion blur is going to fluctuate. If you can't maintain 230+ FPS all the time, it's usually best to cap the frame rate to what you get most of the time so that input lag and blur are more consistent.

9. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks, Carfax. You were right. FPS (V-Sync OFF/ON) are equal after changing FPS cap to 230.