Groove Music and missing album art

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, May 11, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Since updating to Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703) I noticed that my 350 GB collection of mostly MP3 with some FLAC music was missing some album art which was previously showing in Anniversary Update (v1607). All of my music uses ID3v2.3 tags and has embedded 600x600 art taken from JPGs and PNGs. Anyway, Groove previously displayed them and seemed to dropping more and more as I used it post-upgrade.

Note all album art continues to be displayed correctly in Windows Media Player, iTunes and Media Monkey.

So I decided to do an app reset of the Groove app and let it rebuild its database in the hope of fixing the issue. It didn't as ALL the song now show with a generic music icon! Despite leaving the program open for a day the album art never appeared. I have even tried removing the Music folder (My Music stored on my I drive) and reading it; I've deleted the library from WMP and let it rebuild; nothing works although the music is added and plays fine otherwise.

I then discovered that some MP3s that I had in my H:\Download folder, which were downloaded from Burning the Ground (an awesome site by the way if you are a fan of 80s/90s 12" mixes) *do* display the album art when I double-click on them and they play in Groove (since it is set as the default player). To confuse things further, I've just played an MP3 this way (double-clicking to open it) direct from my Music folder on the I drive and it didn't show any album art. However, if I copy this exact file to the H:\Downloads folder then the album art displays!!!

Why? :bang:

Clearly Groove *can* read the album art but it seems to ignore it if it is the one location where I've always stored my music, namely I:\Users\Darren\Music (relocated years ago from my C drive for space reasons... well it is 350 GB in size after all!).

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. Yes, I know I could just use Media Monkey or iTunes but that's not the point. I actually like Groove as it is integrated into Windows and has a small memory footprint plus is fast. I would like to use it but it annoys me that it refuses to display album art unless I play files from outside the Music folder.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just an update on this... Groove still refuses to display any of my embedded album art in the Music Library view but, and this is what really baffles me, it *will* display it if I play a file with embedded art from another folder that isn't the Music library folder!!! This even includes music that otherwise doesn't show art in the Groove library listing but the same track if copied from my Music folder to, say, H:\Downloads will play and display the embedded art!!!

Does that make any sense to anyone?

It's almost like Windows is excluding the Music library for some reason or does not have permissions to read the art (even though it has no problems playing any of the music located there). So, yep, all my music in Groove still displays with a generic icon.

*sigh*

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    time to ditch ms music player?

I Still use winamp ( it really whips the lhama ass) album art with in is broke seeing legal issue still going in with and is why the new versions still hasnt be released.

you can use external program to add all that info to the song file it self though

interesting that any file in "my music library" or and folder or any "target folder" that linked to "my music library" does this do ALL files do this or just some if in said folders?

Remeber win 10 is wierd about permsions, you could admin of system and be told you dont rights to simple things like copy files or rename short cuts on desktop, it rather infurating

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    When I reinstall windows, my music folder will generally be inaccessible unless I grant the new user permissions. Just that one folder has issues. I'd check them again I guess. I just use aimp. Never had such issues, album art always displays and it auto updates too.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I actually quite like the Groove music so I do use it. The first thing that you should do is to disable the automatic album art and metadata fetching from settings. Exit Groove, then go to
    Code:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\ImageStore
    and delete everything in that folder and start the Groove app.

If that doesn't fix it, delete the database folder:
    Code:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Database
    It shows all album are and meta data correctly on my system. I use mp3tag for all my meta data editing (really great tool and handless pretty much any format out there).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Anarion - I have always had the auto album art/metadata setting disabled as I don't trust Microsoft to not completely mess up my music files which already has correct tags and embedded album art. What is annoying is that MediaMonkey, iTunes and even Microsoft's own ancient Windows Media Player has no problems correctly displaying the album art but Groove doesn't. It wouldn't be so bad if Groove was awful but it has improved a lot since release and now I prefer it to all the others, mainly because it uses less memory but more importantly it starts much quicker.

8. Ikram Hussain

Ikram Hussain Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 620
    I personally don't like the same album art for all of my songs. So I changed album arts for each of the songs in my album. But unfortunately, Groove Music doesn't allow different album arts for the same album. It picks one album art from the list and shows that for the rest of the songs. For me, only resetting the app didn't work. So I went ahead and assigned different album names for each of my songs using Mp3Tag. Then reset the app and boom!