1080ti bios mod, VERY GOOD!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Jul 2, 2017.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Did some testing with one of my EVGA 1080ti hybrids:

Did a bios mod with FTW3 version, flash went through with no problems.

My max power target has now increased from 120% to 127%.

Max tdp went from 300 to 358, using custom powerlimit.bat and task scheduler setup.

Did quick testing with unigine 4k MAX settings, unigine valley 4k Max settings and lost planet 4k MAX with enhance AA(32x2/nvidia inspector), the 32xS is only for benching only.

As I originally thought, sparsegrid, at higher settings such as 32xS, absolutely brutalizes the card, it throttles down even at stock settings and even below it.

Sparsegrid at higher settings is absolutely nothing to be played around with, at times, it will shut down your system hard, lol, did it with my 980ti, took sometime to workaround the gpu speeds,etc.

I put +60 on xoc program, it seems to run from low 1900's to 1999 range, anything higher if 32xS is used, it will hang, so I had to back down the clocks, SGSSAA taxes the gpu absolutely tremendous for IQ, so be careful with Higher settings of SGSSAA.

Now, that settings is mainly for short term bench only, I also tried enhance 4xmsaa+4xsgssaa, almost constant 2050 speeds, very little throttling down to 2037 but thats about it.

Far as normal in benchmark settings, far as unigine is concerned, it stays roughly 2037, starts off with 2050 then some time in the bench, very little throttling down, went down as 2000 but went back to 2037 rather quickly.

Even without the mod, my max overclock is in the low 2k range, but thats ok, I rather use higher tdp because of the settings I am using to increase stability and prevent gpu from throttling down, so far its holding good.

Far as my memory overclock goes, after the mod, what it seems, I can clock much much higher, its at like 650+ within XOC, roughly 12400mhz+(Effective rate), as oppose to 11000+mhz(Stock), not to bad.

My score within unigine heaven 4k max, is roughly almost the same as my 2 980ti hybrid(Overclocked).

I also downclocked my 1080ti to 1506(just to see how it will perform against my 980ti within the same range of speed), memory, I can only go down as 5000mhz(10k effective), memory doesn't seem to increase much if your using insane quality settings on top of it, Tried lost planet with 2 1080ti's with enhance 32xS @ 4k max, I get roughly 10fps more then my 2 980ti hybrids in the snow area, in the cave area, I see about almost 36% increase in fps, thats with the 1080ti gpu downclocked to 1506(basically same speed as my 980ti overclocked).

I also checked how much memory speed would effect at this incredible settings within lost planet, about 1000mhz increase in memory speed yields like an fps or more, so 2k less(roughly my 980ti memory speeds), is probably 2-3 or lil more fps difference, but thats just within lost planet and the enhance settings within nvidia inspector.

One thing I love about lost planet, if for any reason there is a hang due to clocking speeds are to high, I can easily go back by cntrl+alt+del, then just sign off.

Other programs, I have to do a complete restart all the time, so this saves much time, especially fine tuning the card.

I'll be posting up benchmark videos later...

Oh, best of all about this mod:

At max slider voltage, my max gpu temps is roughly 44/45c(Using AS5).

Those temps were coming from XOC/Unigine heaven 4.0/Valley

Didn't have thermal grizzly kyronaugt handy, only the hydro version.

I couldn't believe the temps, very very good, for an aio, excellent, doing a push and pull configuration on the rad(Factory fan-Pull), the one hitting the rad is an 0.18a scythe fan.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, more great news here.

I did some extra fan modifications in my case,etc.

Temps are better now, roughly between 39/42c on both gpu's give or take.

I haven't tried long term but I did several runs straight with unigine valley 1.0 @ 4k max and my voltage slider is at the max + max tdp is at 358 as oppose to 300, :)

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You had FE cards in the beginning, correct?

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    NO, even the 980ti's I had before, All been hybrids.

The 2 gtx 970 that I gotten awhile back(Now in my dads system), it was a Gigabyte aib.

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, I went back to firestrike ultra for sometime, There has been alot of Throttling down, mainly the gpu speed.

If I lower the voltage slider as much as I can, and lower the memory frequency a bit(Below factory specs), it doesn't throttle as much.

Scene 1, throttles the worst, 2nd: not to bad, 3rd one: so so.

I reviewed my score by doing this method, it is quite a bit lower.

If I keep what I was normally using, there is tons of throttling downs but I my final score is much higher, I need more further testing on this, crazy to fine tune, especially for one program.

Also, going to max tdp on the bios mod, 358, in scene 2, made a lil worse, If I put it like 315-325w, it helps quite a bit, more what it seems, makes it worse in certain sections of the benchmark.

I tried several different bits within nvidia inspector for sli, still same thing, still throttles down, most particularly in scene 1.

Whats interesting is this:

Unigine valley 4k, barely does it throttle down, even when the memory is clocked up way high and yet firestrike ultra, throttles BIG TIME but firestrike destroys both of my 1080ti's, lol, yet, unigine 4k max, smooth as butta.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    YES! This is exactly what I had happen during the first few days of owning and tweaking my 1080. Every single game and application *other* than Firestrike Ultra works perfectly and my core speeds stay between 2075MHz and 2050MHz all day long, yet FU will cripple it down to around 1900MHz even when temps are fine. I would forget about FU for now and go enjoy your awesome GPU! I did and I haven't looked back.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh, I thought you got FE cards and mounted the kits yourself. Sorry!

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Probably best BIOS for Ti is ArcticStorm or XOC but still I would do shut mode

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    *shunt

10. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    I flashed the 1080 Ti FTW 3 slave BIOS onto my FE and I can confirm the following:

• The HDMI port and all 3 Display ports are functioning!
    • The power limit did indeed increase although I am not sure exactly how much wattage wise.
    • Clock for clock it performs the same as the stock BIOS.
    • Nothing blew up or started acting wonky!
    • When pushing the limits of the card it benchmarks a little better because it isn't power limit throttling.

I'm very happy with it now.

I maxed the core voltage, power and temp sliders. Did a +600 offset on my memory and setup a custom curve that does 2100 MHz @ 1.093v.

The card's on water in a custom loop so it stays cool and pretty much just locks in at 2100 Mhz. The only time I have hit the power limit so far is a few quick bumps and downclocks to 2088 while in the demo portion of Firestrike.

Also the card seems to take it like a champ. The power cables are cool, the backplate is no warmer than normal and the GPU temps stay in the mid 30s. But as said, that's in a relatively big custom loop with a full cover EK block.

My original comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com..._flash_asus_strix_bios_to_nvidia_gtx/djs00wm/

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cheers for confirming that, I'll give it a shot later.
    My FE is fitted with an Accelero Xtreme III cooler with much lower temps (than the stock FE) so I should be able to take advantage of it.

ps the only reason I will try this is because all the display outputs function.
    Thats been my major problem with changing my FE bios, I use all 4 display outs.

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Oh no, 2 evga hybrids, bought them soon as they were in stock, then quickly thereafter, sold out.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
  14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Yes Shunt mode, sorry for misspelling

Thanks, Jura

Hi there

Shunt mode is best way how to remove power limit, you can try run game and check what power limit you are hitting at games, in some games you will hit this power limit pretty quickly

Tried few BIOS on my Ti and still I'm returning back to my FE BIOS as with this FE BIOS I can do 2155MHz with +425MHz OC on VRAM and my current OC is 2139MHz which I use most of my time or 2113MHz with 1.075v which is my favorite

Tried as well downvolt my Ti to 2035MHz at 1.0v which is stable in gaming or rendering and mining as well

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

So basically finding the best power limit for the application in other words?

Also, btw you guys, I am trying out this Arcticstorm bios, Sucker has a tdp of like 430+w, Bios flashed went great, installing drivers now, I'll get back asap.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Or, ran firestrike Ultra @ Default(2160p) settings At max power limit, :)

I strongly advised not to flash this mod unless you have done similar things in the past, which I have done on my 980ti twins, 425 tdp testing.

And also at least an aio or some kind of watercooling, on air to be on the safe side???, NO.

It seems that I can go much higher on the overclock on the memory frequencies, however there is a drawback here, higher the mem frequencies while using this bench, more throttling on the gpu, most particularly in scene 1, god does it throttles down all time time, even with this bios mod, jeezus.

If you want something that's not to much, go with the asus strix oc, 330w tdp, then go to ftw3(358w tdp).

This one could be overkill on what is needed, I even checked the monitor graph, doesn't even use no where near 120%(438w Tdp), but it is there just in case it is needed.

Also, compared to the ftw3 bios mod, I can overclock the memories Much higher then previously.

1st scene: Damn thing Still throttles down, but not as bad

2nd and 3rd scene, not to bad(Depending on memory speed, more memory speed, more throttling is involved with the gpu).

Ok, here some very interesting findings:

I notice that, Lower my overclock on my memory frequencies, yields more stable gpu speed, or less throttling.

I'll be posting some videos later, been busy tweaking this damn things with this program, f'in craZy, lol.

At memory + 850 = Score: 13037
    At memory + 500 = 12881
    At memory + 250 = 13163
    At memory + 0 = 13117

So the sweet spot is memory + 250

I haven't tried inbetween like +100/200, might do it later for testing purposes.

And even down clocked the memory to - 250 = 12367

I might have to do another test run on the -250, something doesn't seem right.

I remember one time, when I did a re-test, the combined test was running slower as it should, restarting the pc fixes this problem.

And there is memory - 500, which I didn't do and basically very low throttling.

My gpu voltager slider has to be up, otherwise it will hang.

Most I got using the ftw3 bios mod, 13156, lol, I gained 13 points using this mod, lol.

Gpu temps are excellent, about 46c tops doing the tests over and over.

Now I know what to set the settings to the complete max for this damn program, Videos will be up later, there is a video on my 980ti sli vs 1080ti sli playlist, that one was @ 2400p, cause dsr and my monitor settings don't have 2160p(16:9), I have to make a custom resolution for it, so that video is not 2160p, just heads up.

Also, these scores mention above is with Default sli bits within the latest revision of nvidia inspector, I do know that the catzilla sli bits works excellent, I might give that a try and see if I can get a better overall score.

Heres a video for the 2400p using the FTW3 bios mod(1 GPU TEST):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRaO5s40vh0&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z&index=5

I'll get others later.

17. MikeR

MikeR Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780Ti 4 GB
    Awesome!

18. goodsmac

goodsmac Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Also did the shunt mod like Roman (der8auer) on my 1080ti FE. Works perfectly fine.:)

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Excellent info , thanks for sharing your findings :thumbup:.

Can you tell us what is the highest stable core frequency without throttling down and wish Bios was used ? I'm looking for the highest stable core frequency without touching the memory ( stable pegged frequency without moving up and down in core frequencies ) out of a different Bios on my GTX 1080ti FE. Right now i'm still using the stock blower FE heatsink ( it sucks big time lol ) and stock Asus FE Bios , i'm awaiting for my EK full cover water block to arrive , then and then only i will start testing and probing different Bios , Bios Mods , Hardware Mods , etc ... but nice to have this kind of information ahead to learn gtx 1080ti behavior , it seems like it does behaves different to my GTX 1070 , thank you.

Kind Regards: Angelo

PS: keep up the good work !

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Shunt mod will likely be your best bet. I know your not afraid.