HDD/SSD and total writen

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by tsunami231, Jun 12, 2016.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am curious to were the data for how much has been written to the the drives lifetime writes? is it in the partion? or the format ? Cause my SSD say 5.20TB for lifetime writes (which i not sure how it has that much seeing drive is only been used for OS and only been formatted 6 times, but not why i here)

But my HDD that at this point is 7+ years old say 1000gbs ( month ago it was say 320gb ) lifetime writes, which just not possible it was used as only drive in the system for 3 years before I got SSD after that it got formatted and is now used as data drive for games/software/my documents etc, this drive is defrag regularly which i sure counts as writes. and the like I said was format but so was SSD and it kept its lifetime writes which more believable then lifetime writes on the HDD. this drive should easily have over well over 10tb written.

Only think I can think of was 6 months ago I found out the "boot,Active" where all on my HDD which was my PC would never boot if I disconnect it and left just the SSD, I have since remove all that from the HDD and repaired the OS on SSD to fix that issue. Was lifetime written data stored in all that? or was it the partion? cause i might backup all that data on the hdd to external drive, then Delete the partion on that HDD and repartion it correctly. but i dont remember.

The only still correct on that HDD Smart data is is total power on time 1386 which about 7-10 hour a day on and the SSD is 720 total power on time at 7-10hours day.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure here are my SSD,my Samsung 850 EVO is 2 month old and SanDisk 480GB is older I think 4-5 month

My PC is turned on,24/7,I do sometimes restart the PC for accessing OSX or for cleaning the PC etc,but PC is 24/7 workhorse there

SanDisk

[​IMG]

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is the thing tried them all they all show the wrong amount for total written for that HDD there is no way in 7 years it total written is actual 1TB, I mean the drive is old and it is at like 85% health accord to hd sentinel crystal disk info just say caution. but the drive was been saying this for years now.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My SSD was showing the correct data written in Sentinel and CrystalDisk a while ago, 2-3TB+, but has reset the stats somehow, now it shows 1.54TB lifetime writes

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Which bring be back to, Where is the Lifetimes Writes saved I gathering it has to be stored somewhere on the HDD/SSD but is save in the partion? format? data portion? or the smart?

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Please have look on this

http://ssd-life.com/eng/how.html

Not sure where is stored,I would say its stored or gather from S.M.A.R.T

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. RoDiSK

RoDiSK Guest

GPU:
    IntelGPU
    Intel 520 180GB * Writes: 2329GB

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    My 128GB SSD that I use for OS has never been formatted and is about 4 years and 4 months old.
    Lifetime writes is 5.13 TB.

None of my HDD's support lifetime writes even though they have SMART. So I suspect your monitor program is taking you for a ride.