need help to mod the bios of my 9800 GTX

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nosferatu1976, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX 670/2500/1458
    Hello Guys, i want to mod my 9800 GTX (Gainward Bliss 9800 GTX) bios to higher clocks... can anyone give me a step by step instruction/manual. The most important for me is which version of nvflash i should use and the full commandline including all parameters for a good flash and maybe an insturction for making a blind re-flash disk. Thanks for your help and cant wait for the answers. I am Targeting 800 - 1200 - 2000 for new clocks (stock is 675 - 1100 - 1688) and many websites on the web says it will works at these clocks.

The commandline is really the most important for me, thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:
    i forgot to ask, do you think i have to increase the voltage too?

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    A couple of guides as reference on how to flash.
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1199078

http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/2069/37/

I think you wont need to hardmod for increase voltage , you are looking for a conservative overclock not extreme , test the clocks first with Rivatuner to see if the cards its stable.

Good Luck.

4. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:
    cann someone give me the correct commandline for nvidia cards (9800 GTX) for nvflash?

5. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Best place is Mvktech as posted above. Once you download the Nvflash there is a readme with all the commands.

I find this guide better than the one listed above http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260590
    as it includes the fan speed editing - which you may want to do if overclocking. Also it includes instructions of flashing from dos (which is safer - takes Windows out of the equation), not a command prompt.

As you said your modding the bios I assume your'll be using NiBiTor.
    This would mean just editing your existing bios - you won't be changing board ID's or vendor ID's so the simple command

"NVFLASH.EXE NEWBIOS.ROM"

will flash the new bios for you.

If you are using another bios eg from another vendor then your will have to insert 'force' commands (see nvflash readme)

Good luck, enjoy your new clock speeds.:)

6. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:

Thank you very much, and yes i will enjoy them.. i already used em 2-3 days on rivatuner with no problems^^

7. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
  8. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:
    i finally managed to flash my bios (modded my own bios with nibitor)

i made a startdisk and booted into dos than i used these both commandlines to do it
    Backup:
    nvflash -b oldbios.rom
    now i booted into windows and opened the bios (which is on the disk now) with nibitor and modded the bios to 820 core 2400 memory and 2000 Shader
    and saved the new bios as newbios.rom to the nvflash disk (card runs higher clocks too but than it gets hot and the fan is making to much noise for me, with these settings its cool and quiet as i love it.

Flash new bios:
    next step was boot into dos again and use this with nvflash
    nvflash -5 -6 newbios.rom

next time you start your computer you have the new settings.

YOU ALL DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!! ITS POSSIBLE TO DAMAGE YOUR HARDWARE WHILE FLASHING / TRYING!!

You can flashback your oldbios.rom everytime you want.. should even work if you messed the flash and get no image after flashing anymore (there are ways of blindflashing or using pci-card for flashing)