[How To] Repair Windows 10 SFC & DISM corruptions

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by theoneofgod, Nov 18, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Run command prompt (Admin)

Check for corruptions (DISM):

Check to see if there are any corruptions with DISM.

Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /checkhealth
    If corruptions are found and it states repairable, we can repair them. If not, go to Check/fix corruptions (SFC)

Repair the corruptions (DISM):

Method: 1
    Enter this.

Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    If it's successful (no missing source or another error), go to Check/fix corruptions (SFC), otherwise, try Method 2.

Method: 2
    Enter this.

Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    If it's successful (no missing source or another error), go to Check/fix corruptions (SFC), otherwise, try Method 3.

Method: 3
    Download the required Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Mount it within Windows (double-click or right-click -> mount)

Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    Change "X" to the drive letter that was assigned to the mounted ISO. "M" in my case.

[​IMG]

Check/fix corruptions (SFC):

Check and repair any corruptions with SFC.

Code:
    SFC /scannow

After all this is done, you can check for corruptions again following Check for corruptions (DISM) and Check/fix corruptions (SFC) again to make sure they were repaired.

This is what they should look like if everything went as planned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Thanks to chinobino for pointing this out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    nevermind...

im a na na na

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    As far as I know
    Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    is totally unnecessary in almost all cases and should be used only if the stuff below fails.

This should be enough:
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    If it gives issues then this might help:
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    Also I would first run DISM and only then SFC because if the Windows is really corrupt the SFC can't fix it and it will just take time and possibly spam the CBS.log.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    for some reason when running only DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth will result in missing source files for some people.

6. I have same type of error in the cbs.log with the opencl.dll driver. I read a post from the link you provided, which stated Windows uses the opencl.dll for Remote Desktop. So doing a repair will put the stripped down version of opencl.dll instead of the full feature opencl.dll provided by the Nvidia Geforce drivers? So we have to wait for MS to fix this issue with opencl.dll. My cbs.log is also full of "Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory" type errors.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It might be unnecessary but it wasn't for me. The other 2 DISM commands were needing a source that it couldn't find. The method I show is a way of forcing the source which worked when the others didn't.
    I'll add more methods. Thanks for your input.

Yeah. I had that problem.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Microsoft need to fix the bug where Windows will return corruption errors when using SFC or DISM after installing new NVIDIA or Intel drivers as they are annoying to see. I have to run DISM using an external Image.wim file taken from the Windows ISO in order to fix every time I update either of those drivers. After that, both SFC and DISM return a clean bill of health until the next time they are updated.

True, the corruption does not cause any noticeable issues such as BSODs or application crashes but I personally do not like seeing errors reported when I know there shouldn't be any. SFC and DISM worked perfectly in Windows 8/8.1, only reporting corruption when there genuinely was corruption.

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Just done a fresh install and coming up with some of these errors.

I mounted a fresh 1511.iso and it seems to have fixed it.

Still having some weird issue with OpenCL not showing in GPU-Z and i'm not sure if it's an Nvidia problem or MS.

10. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    MEGA thanks for this thread , it just helped me fix my windows errors

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    When I was using LTSB version of 14393, I was getting RPC errors while running dism/sfc. This would've fixed it?

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Unlikely, the DISM command repairs the files needed for SFC command to repair/replace the missing/corrupted system files likely causing the RPC in the first place lol

Guess an equivalent would be trying to fix a screwdriver repair machine using a broken screwdriver, need the machine to work first to fix that screwdriver, but need the screwdriver to fix the machine - catch 22

Possible it could have been done manually, but not sure how, or what the RPC error cause is

My brother had the exact same problem about 3 weeks ago, had next to no UI control but could open CMD, SFC found corrupted file but couldn't fix them, DISM threw up the RPC error, ended up just reinstalling, but turned out one of his RAID0 SSDs was faulty and eventually died a couple weeks later anyway

13. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Great post!