Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

Old
  (#51)
sicksilvo

Videocard: Ati Mobility HD 5650 1GB
Processor: Intel i5 430M
Mainboard:
Memory: 8GB DDR3 Mushkin @1066Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Te
Default 02-28-2013, 14:15 | posts: 18

Hi, although I didn't have any of mentioned problems with games like others have this set of drivers did introduce another kind of problems - not their fault. Long story short this post is for people that may have expirienced this symptoms:

"You may experience the following issues after you log on to a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2:

Your desktop does not load. You only see a blue or black background image.
Windows Explorer does not run, and you cannot access your data.
You receive the following message in a notification balloon:

Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."
Or your applications and pc just out of nowhere take abnormal times to respond/work properly.

This is related to NET framework 4 and a lot of people suffer from this problem

Here is more info on it and hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2590550/en-us?fr=1 This hotfix may or may not fix it (in my case it didn't)

There are 5-6 workarounds for this (none of them garanties that it will solve your problem) but they are well worth a try if you suffer from above symptoms and they are safe.

I will not spam this thread anymore as it's not drivers fault but feel free to pm me if you have problems that are described as i may be able to help you or point you in right direction to save you some time.

Cheers

Old
  (#52)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-01-2013, 00:36 | posts: 1,550

Although the above information doesn't particularly relate to this thread it's appreciated none the less.

Just make sure you are sending them those survey reports. I'm surprised that Black Ops 2 isn't fixed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprophet View Post
Mmm... It seems that my problem has disappeared. In case someone has the same problem, here is what I changed :
- enable HPET in BIOS and Windows. Enabling it in your BIOS depends on your Bios, I cannot tell, but enabling it in Windows can be done issuing a bcdedit command like "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" in an administrator terminal, then reboot (see here).
- install 13.2 beta 6.
I cannot tell whether one or both two changes made my problem disappear, but now it seems to work.
I would recommend a disclaimer when enabling the useplatformclock. Normally this isn't turned on and IMO for good reason as it may cause other intermittent issues. So if anyone does enable it you do so at your own risk. From my understanding enabling that in the OS works best with programs that take advantage of it.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...d-2fc168f98f86

Edit:
I also read that if you have HPET enabled in the Bios and not in the OS you are mixing HPET with whatever the OS is using. This may or may not be the best combination. You should be able to disable HPET from the bios without it messing up your OS. Then see if there is any notable difference in smoothness at desktop and in games. But again, you assume the risks:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10...__p__594852327

Enabling HPET from the bios and OS can be hit or miss.
Disabling HPET from the bios and OS (default is off) can be hit or miss.
Enabling HPET from just the bios and mixing it with whatever the OS is using can be hit or miss.

Here is post from someone who disabled HPET from the BIOS
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...nt-Timer/page2
Basically indicating that with it off (with his OC) he experienced the best result.

So again, it's hit or miss.

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 03-01-2013 at 01:24.

Old
  (#53)
theprophet

Videocard: Sapphire HD7870 GHz
Processor: Amd Phenom II x4 945
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Fortron / FSP
Default 03-01-2013, 10:27 | posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
So again, it's hit or miss.
I totally agree with you : in my case, I feel that Windows is snappier with HPET enabled in Bios and OS (and it seems it removed a bit micro-stuttering in some games), but reading things here and there we understand that it totally depends on your whole configuration. That's interesting. Maybe I should try disabling HPET and check whether 13.2b6 alone fixed the issue.

Old
  (#54)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-01-2013, 17:54 | posts: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprophet View Post
I totally agree with you : in my case, I feel that Windows is snappier with HPET enabled in Bios and OS (and it seems it removed a bit micro-stuttering in some games), but reading things here and there we understand that it totally depends on your whole configuration. That's interesting. Maybe I should try disabling HPET and check whether 13.2b6 alone fixed the issue.
There is a pretty big thread about it in the other forum.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368604

You should be able to skip to around page 8 to get an idea of how this is working for them. Take note of their hardware. The gist of it is they are using Time Resolution program to decrease the time from around 1ms to .5 ms.
http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

There are user made derivatives of that program that will allow it to work without having to keep it maximized at desktop and start when the OS starts.

But here's the thing to all this. If we needed to change timer resolution and/or change HPET shouldn't that instruction come from the makers of the card? Has such a thing been tested by them? If such a configuration was needed to run newer drivers wouldn't/shouldn't they have told us?

In any event if you partake in this you do so at your own risk.

Edit:
From all the posts I've read about this it seems that some that have multiple GPU setup got the best experience keeping HPET off. That means disabling it in the bios and keeping it off in windows. Those that enabled HPET in bios and OS also reduced Time Resolution to .5 in order to get the same results.

There is a program to make sure you have it on or off called WinTimerTester 1.1
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post7592062

Basically if it reads 3.x HPET is disabled in OS. If it reads 14.x then it's enabled in OS.
------------------------------------------------------
Back to the original topic.
------------------------------------------------------
This really doesn't suggest any real link to the condition of the beta drivers though. Hopefully we will see a fix for Black Ops 2 and other games in a future release.

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 03-01-2013 at 18:42.

Old
  (#55)
lord_zed

Videocard: 290x BF4 Edition@1170
Processor: 2500k@5ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
Memory: Samsung Green@2177mhz
Soundcard: Onboard Asus
PSU: 750w PC Scilencer
Default 03-02-2013, 07:11 | posts: 30 | Location: Nottingham

Nothing new once monitor powers down driver crash in my case later on. TBH i got used to it

ps. Finally got my account activated after so many years of reading Guru3d

Last edited by lord_zed; 03-02-2013 at 07:14.

Old
  (#56)
SapientWolf

Videocard: 5850 Crossfire
Processor: i5 750
Mainboard: Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI
Memory: 12GB DDR3
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar
PSU: Antec TruePower
Default 03-03-2013, 01:28 | posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetrack View Post
Sleeping Dogs doesn't work in Crossfire with these drivers for me. With 2 or 3 gpus it'll either lock up my computer requiring a hard reset or it'll crash the AMD drivers and it'll recover.
I am also having this issue. I get a black or white screen and looping sound. It happens every time after about 2 minutes of gameplay. It requires a hard reset.

Old
  (#57)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-15-2013, 21:20 | posts: 1,550

Beta 13.3 released and so far:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=24 (6950 crash BO2)
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=26 (6850 crashing)

Why is it that anything other then 7000 series are having problems with these betas? Looking at the history of those who have problems with the betas shows people with 5000-6000 series cards.

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 03-15-2013 at 21:41.

Old
  (#58)
MoodyB
Member Guru

Videocard: HIS 6870 IceQ
Processor: i5 760@3.6ghz
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D
Memory: 8gb
Soundcard: VRM Box
PSU: OCZ 700w
Default 03-16-2013, 00:39 | posts: 64 | Location: Scotland

Anyone care to recommend a driver for a 6870 that doesn't suffer from random black screens / lockups?

Tried 13.1 to start with - no joy.

Now on 12.11 betas and it's still happening randomly while gaming.

Cat 13.3 beta 2 So far so good in Black Ops 2 "Win7"
Old
  (#59)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default Cat 13.3 beta 2 So far so good in Black Ops 2 "Win7" - 03-16-2013, 02:33 | posts: 1,550

So far I'm not experiencing the black screen problems in black ops 2 that I've seen in previous Cat 13.2 betas. However, uninstalled/installed is a tad different then before when going from Cat 12.X to Cat 13.3 beta 2.
1. I used AMD uninstall utility to uninstall Cat 12.X drivers. Reboot to desktop.

2. Reboot again to safe mode. Made sure that Display Adapter from Device Manager didn't read ATI drivers.

3. Opened regedit and examined 2 locations:
- The 2D Driver File Path in CCC's Information
- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
And made sure that the information in those 2 locations are the same. The difference between the 2 is CurrentControlSet and ControlSet00"X". "X" Being the number for which the key is located (1, 2, 3, 4, etc).

4. Exported (made a backup 1st) then deleted that key IE: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]. This key should be sharing both Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and ATI/CCC information. Look at the image for an example.
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2378/example2f.jpg

5. Replaced it with the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Key information. It's found at the end of this post.

6. Reboot back to desktop. Defrag HD then installed cat 13.3 beta 2.

7. Keep the vram at stock and overclocked the GPU for now.

8. Play your games.

Edit:
You only have to do this once. All other driver installs should only require you to use the driver's uninstall process.

Side note:
Below is the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Key information. This is used when the drivers of the video card are uninstalled. Under Device Manager > Display Adapter it should read Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Copy the content below and save using notepad as VideoDrivers.reg (example). Just make sure that the extension is .reg. Also note the location of where this key is located.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
It's generally a good idea to also check that location in regedit to see if is information found in key "/0000" (Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and CCC/ATI information) before you make changes. If not I wouldn't recommend deleting it as it's possible that it's in another location. Keep in mind this can be a little risky. You do this at your own risk.

Copy the key below...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
"InfPath"="display.inf"
"InfSection"="vga"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,8c,a3,c5,94,c6,01
"DriverDate"="6-21-2006"
"DriverVersion"="6.1.7600.16385"
"MatchingDeviceId"="pci\\cc_0300"
"DriverDesc"="Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"
"FeatureScore"=dword:000000fe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings]
"InstalledDisplayDrivers"=hex(7):76,00,67,00,61,00 ,00,00,66,00,72,00,61,00,6d,\
00,65,00,62,00,75,00,66,00,00,00,76,00,67,00,61,00 ,32,00,35,00,36,00,00,00,\
76,00,67,00,61,00,36,00,34,00,6b,00,00,00,00,00
"VgaCompatible"=dword:00000001
"Device Description"="Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 03-20-2013 at 18:07.

Old
  (#60)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 03-16-2013, 03:31 | posts: 24,260 | Location: NZ

I had a couple of black screen/sleeping monitor occurrences w/ 13.1 or maybe early 13.2 beta's.

As soon as I updated drivers again the problem disappeared. Not really a big deal tbh.

Old
  (#61)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-16-2013, 15:11 | posts: 1,550

I've looked at the old and new registry key created by 13.3 beta 2 and it does look a bit different now. I was expecting it to look exactly the same but there are a few changes to it. Which appear to explain why I'm not having a problem. I would guess that your problem maybe related. However, the only way I can see making sure that the registry key is properly changed to accommodate the new drivers is to completely remove it (0000 key) and use windows default video key (0000 key). Which is shared by both windows and the drivers.

Which was explained in my previous post.

Old
  (#62)
WiFry
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Soundcard: Infrasonic Quartet
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 03-18-2013, 15:51 | posts: 103 | Location: New Zealand

There is definitely something different with the 13.3 beta 3.
More good than bad from what I was experiencing in the 13.1 WHQL and the 13.2 betas.

Looks like my problem with black squares popping up in top left of Firefox broswer has gone after looking at an image by enlarging it then closing the tab the image is in.

Skyrim is no longer crashing to desktop randomly but can get very rare artifacting once during a session of gameplay.
This results in the smatter of random coloured polys in the middle of the screen for one frame.
The artifacting may not even happen in one session but may happen in another regardless of the duration the game is played.

So in my opinion despite this rare artifacting issue is the best so far for my card and what i generally use it for.

Old
  (#63)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-19-2013, 17:07 | posts: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFry View Post
There is definitely something different with the 13.3 beta 3.
More good than bad from what I was experiencing in the 13.1 WHQL and the 13.2 betas.

Looks like my problem with black squares popping up in top left of Firefox broswer has gone after looking at an image by enlarging it then closing the tab the image is in.

Skyrim is no longer crashing to desktop randomly but can get very rare artifacting once during a session of gameplay.
This results in the smatter of random coloured polys in the middle of the screen for one frame.
The artifacting may not even happen in one session but may happen in another regardless of the duration the game is played.

So in my opinion despite this rare artifacting issue is the best so far for my card and what i generally use it for.
Have you tried reducing the vram speed if you have it overclocked?

Old
  (#64)
WiFry
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Soundcard: Infrasonic Quartet
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 03-21-2013, 15:24 | posts: 103 | Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
Have you tried reducing the vram speed if you have it overclocked?
I have nothing overclocked on this card.
It comes pre-overclocked with a meager 10 Mhz to both core and memory.

Tried out other DX9 games noted for graphical issues with Radeon 7xxx series cards.
Planetside 2 is fine, Borderlands 2 is fine, Chivalry - Medieval Warfare showed some strange flickering in the training area at the very start but nothing during multi player.

Old
  (#65)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-22-2013, 00:21 | posts: 1,550

Cat 13.3 beta 3 is working with blackops 2.
All I did this time was to unuinstall Cat 13.3 beta 2 using it's own uninstall process. Reboot and install the new beta.

Again, you only have to do what's written in my previous post once.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=59

Old
  (#66)
ToBbErT
Member Guru

Videocard: 2x sapphire 7870
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: p8z77-v le plus
Memory: 16gb 2400mhz Kingston
Soundcard: xonar dgx
PSU: xfx 850w be silver
Default 04-03-2013, 10:29 | posts: 148

Im very curious what actually is causing the freezing black screen with the sound loop. Ive got one of the earlier 7870 cards and expierenced this problem several times (very random) and it just slowly stopped from happening. It might be luck idk but i got the card for over a year and havent seen a crash in 2 months. There's a official statement on the sapphire forum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Information Regarding 7870 and "Black Screen" issues

There has been considerable discussion about black screen issues on AMD graphics cards. Please be aware that the “black screen” is actually a generic description of a crash.

Depending on when you receive a black screen, there can be different issues. For example:
Black screen immediately after Windows startup – Possible driver corruption / conflict
Black screen immediately after game opens – Possible software corruption (can be caused by System HDD, Memory), bad overclock, etc

Also be aware that SAPPHIRE has just made the following statement that is ONLY about the HD 7870, not any other series.

SAPPHIRE Technology has confirmed that a technical issue has been identified in two models of its HD 7870 series graphics cards, specifically SKU numbers 11199-16 and 11199-19 that were manufactured before Jan 23 2013 and before serial number A130300061911.

Cards with serial numbers after A130300061911 (ie A130300061912, A130300061913, etc) have already had the correction implemented.

This issue affects a very small proportion of SAPPHIRE’s production volumes and the company is doing everything it can to address it. Failure rates of SAPPHIRE products are normally very low, and the SAPPHIRE brand has a reputation for quality and reliability.

This technical issue can sometimes result in the loss of the display and a "black screen". Based on our analysis, only a small percentage (estimated 2 to 3%) of cards may exhibit the problem. The batches of product at risk have been identified, and SAPPHIRE is making every effort to provide support to customers who have experienced this problem. As such, any user who has unfortunately received one of these impacted serial numbers and had experienced the problem can have it replaced at his/her place of purchase, or through SAPPHIRE support.

Customer confidence and user satisfaction has always been highly valued by SAPPHIRE and, as ever, the company encourages users with any problems to contact SAPPHIRE support.

To all the users suffering this specific black screen with the SAPPHIRE HD 7870 model, or a different faulty card please contact your retailer (if within 1 year of purchase) or SAPPHIRE directly.

European Region: eutech@sapphiretech.com
United States: rma@althonmicro.com
Canada: rma@althon.com
Asia and Pacific Region: tech@sapphiretech.com

If any users experience any issues regarding the RMA of their card, please submit a support ticket through the SAPPHIRE website and our technical team will be happy to assist.

As the official statement says, only a few batches are affected so your chances of a faulty card is dependent on the batches that your supplier received, and even if your card is from a suspect batch, you may not get the problem at all.

Thanks for your attention

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard bad capacitors were the problem but its still happening with the new cards,other models and many brands. If this turns out to be a driver issue instead of hardware then AMD is in big trouble. Lets hope the truth comes out soon.

Old
  (#67)
TwL
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
Processor: I7-980 + I5-2500K
Mainboard: UD7+ROG & P8Z68-V Deluxe
Memory: Elpida Hyper
Soundcard: RealTek
PSU: OCZ GXS 850w+1200w
Default 04-06-2013, 03:21 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

bug is between 12.9 beta drivers and 13.x..

Seems like 13.x only bug.. Since testing currently 12.8 and power save bug doesn't exist, so it cannot be upgrade to Windows 8 or Radeon HD 7xxx series
drivers. Seems to be at point 12.9 where they released the bug fix to some laptop new power save feature something was screwed up. This is driver level
bug so it will be damn hard to debug from new released drivers too.