Best 4k read/write SSD ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by anticupidon, Nov 22, 2016.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Best 4k read/write SSD ? revisited

Hello gents!
    As i understand about real day to day SSD performance, 4k QD1 is where is at.Feel free to correct me , maybe i misunderstood.
    So, i am looking for a new S-ATA SSD, and i want a good performer and will stretch a bit and go for 500 GB.
    It doesn't have to be the latest model , older models can be included in your recomendation.
    Thank you in advance,
    Anticupidon

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Anyone has the Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD and can give some real input ?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am trying to understand why people (as of late) only focus on 4K QD1 ? There is this misconception that 4K QD1 is the only thing that matters lately. Not sure where it is coming from other then some users thinking and learning it in an autodidact manner. But I'd urge you to look and think a bit broader as your OS certainly isn't working solely with 4K QD1 workloads, it is a mixture of files queued up.

Take for example usenet, if you'd download a movie based off so many small containers of info, that's where you need a little more stamina. Or what ebout when that Microsoft SVCHost is kicking in the background and is scanning your entire PC?

But perhaps you are only writing a text file and save it every couple of seconds ? Workloads vary massively and can be massively on any PC as such you want to look out for the best of all worlds.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am sure that i have so much to learn.However, i tend to read fast and learn just some parts of the bigger picture.
    When an OS starts, it reads small files, scattered all around.When open apps,listen to music and general tasks, it involves reading small files,right?
    HH, i am glad to learn more and listen to more educated opinion.Thank you in advance for your time and answers.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I wouldn't focus on such a small part of an SSD in perf. Look broader, try to determine your workload and find an SSD to match your budget.

The Crucial MX300, or any SSD of this year will be totally fine and reliable for a normal game PC. But weigh in stuff like endurance as well, how much do you write and do simple match, how long should your SSD could and should last. Some hate TLC NAND for low cell writes (for the MX300 I do not see an issue as the TBW values are pretty terrific anno 2016).

Then look at stuff like warranty and after-sales IF the unfortunate should happen. OCZ/Toshiba will ship you a new one the second they receive your broken SSD while they pay for shipping both ways, with others you have carry in warranty and might run into the fact you need to wait many weeks before you have a replacement.

You see 4K QD1 is not just the one factor you should be looking at. I noticed you are looking at a 525GB MX300 which is absolutely fine for a normal gaming PC. Excellent value for money as well. But so is the Toshiba TR150 is pretty much the same thing, but with extended Warranty program, same costs as Crucial per GB, better after-sales. Just sayin'

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    4k(and less) performance is what accounts for the "speediness" of an SSD.

If those were similar to an HDD general performance would feel very similar.

Most people don't have constant large reads/writes.
    Games and such use 4k files and less, so better performance here will make general use faster.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Getting a Amazon discount code seems to add more delight to the purchase.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    No need to open another thread and waste internet space.
    Got my MX300 525 SSD and put it inside my Thinkpad X200s.
    First, i flashed the latest firmware for it and installed Win 8.1 Pro.Installed latest drivers and flashed the latest BIOS for my notebook.And ran some benchmarks.
    Well, it left me a stale taste.It doesn't feel as snappier as my other Samsung SSds.
    Best write/read i've got was 527/507 in CrystalDiskMark.
    As-SSD i pulled something like 487/460.
    Well, i wonder.Either i had bigger expectations and this SSD is what it is, or i got a dud?