12.6 legacy driver reloaded.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Aug 20, 2012.

1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Not without breaking the (fixed) crossfire MultiGPU clocks again, no.

The fixed and most recent (and working correctly as they should) kernal files that there are available (and working on legacy) don't have a *.cat for Win 8 unfortunately.

So the driver is and always will be Vista/Win7 x64. Sorry, but I just don't want to put a driver out there with broken 2D/3D clocks on the second ASIC unlike AMD.

It was one of the reasons why I solved this problem plaguing 12.6 at the start, having as I do a MultiGPU 4870x2. I don't want to break the clocks again just for the sake of putting out a Windows 8 driver.

Sure I could add the Windows 8 .inf from 12.6, but then there is no .cat file for the working kernal files. So the driver install will then fail because they won't be signed.

You could sign the driver files yourself using DSEO, but they wouldn't work on anyone elses system apart from the one you signed them on. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. labodj

labodj Guest

GPU:
    AMD Mobility HD4670 1GB
    In 12.6r4 Photoshop CS6 works good, opengl + opencl

3. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    DXVA is working. No green screen with flash either.

4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    All good now...then everything working people. Cheers for fb. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

5. darxider

darxider Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6630m
    @kevsamiga1974, can i ask for some details on how to fix the DXVA problems (green Flash video playback and black local video playback)? the reason i'm asking is that i cannot use official AMD drivers for my Radeon HD 6630m, as anything past 12.1 has video playback problems; i'm currently using Catalyst 11.9!

if your method is sufficiently simple (say, requires editing INF files and/or replacing some files) and if you wouldn't mind sharing the fix, i'd be really grateful. i would also understand if you would like to keep it for yourself, since it's most probably the result of your own research and tinkering.

anyhow, thanks!

6. DigitalMind

DigitalMind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6870 Elite 1GB
    what is this ?
    [​IMG]

7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Looks like a missing Windows 8 driver .inf.

Hardly surprising really...

These drivers are not for Windows 8 as clearly stated in the description, but Vista/7 x64.

And I have given my reasons why they aren't Windows 8 in post #101.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  8. DigitalMind

DigitalMind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6870 Elite 1GB
    i'm using Windows 7 x64

9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Ok I do not know *which* driver .inf isn't installing because you didn't say, do the main display drivers install ok on 4850, they should... Can you post the install log ?

Or this could be related to the HDMI audio install, sometimes if there are other older HDMI files in the System driver repository I have encountered this error sometimes myself because the AMD installer doesn't always clean up properly the HDMI driver along with OpenCL removal, this error used to happen with older official catalysts as well from the 9.x series, and in later ones from time to time.

If it's the main driver install that's failing on 4850's then I will have to look into it although everything seems in working order this end.

10. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    These drivers are for legacy, so it would be hard to say with 100% certainty that any solution to this DXVA problem would even apply to a 6630M.

The simple answer is just by trial and error changing the video .dll's and lot's of rebooting/re-installing till your at the point where you can't reproduce it anymore.

I have never encountered the green screen DXVA myself, so it's even harder to fix a problem you can't see yourself, therefore I cannot say whether x, y, or z component will work for 6630m because not only do I not have this h/w to test it out, I can't even replicate the problem on 4870x2 either ! Although people are telling me it's fixed in 12.6 V6r4 so I don't want to touch the files anymore.

I know that doesn't really help, but my advice is you will have to experiment changing the video .dll's from different drivers while keeping the main components of the current ones, and maybe you will get lucky.

11. darxider

darxider Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6630m
    ^ thank you for answering my question; i understand that you don't have access to that specific GPU and cannot give explicit information, but your answer was actually helpful to me. much appreciated! :)

12. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Hey man, i was just reading the other threads, and i was wondering which driver i should go for, for maximum performance ingame. Your driver works flawlessly, but i was wondering, with the other drivers out there like :

The performance patch for 4000 series (like mine) [link : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373669]

or the driver from Dellon 132 [link : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=372799].

Is any of them giving better "ingame" performance? I had a few problems installing modded drivers, and yours works really amazing, so i wouldn't want to uninstall, to see that the others don't work good, and then having to reinstall yours you know :]

13. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    kevsamiga1974, when you say legacy, how far back are you going? is x19xx series too old? if so, I may just get a HTPC card.

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well these drivers get repeatedly beaten with a stick, twiddled, shouted at and made to work on the most problematic card in history, the 4870x2 where it's real easy to screw something up in a big way with just a minor change, which is probably why they work flawlessly after several versions.

It's been far too much time I can never recover hunting everything down and modifying these. Testing & the endless uninstall/re-install reboots...

What I can tell you at this point is I have negotiated with ankinferno, and now have permission to make use of his 4K performance patch files along with also restoring other dependant files available such as for opengl system that were missing re-integrated into the next release which should benefit everyone including those that don't like to drag n drop and mess things up or fiddle with test mode for the kernal files for some convoluted install method, although I won't be using the older versions of the 64-bit files from 12.4b though or the opecl mods which were already the same version as 12.6LR anyway on the ocl...prefering as I do higher versions and potential bugfixes over any performance gains, and also fully tested without errors of course, along with some other improvements...

So I guess you're now going to get the best combined efforts of both work. But i'm fickle enough to not rush until it's tested and ready. Stay tuned...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    The same cards as what the original 12.6's release provides for... ie. 2K-4K series.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

16. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Wow that's amazing man! Can't wait to see it!

I actually am using your 11.12. So this is the one getting updated you think? Cause if i remember correctly, this is the more stable, up to date, and the one you're using 24/7.

I went from using you're custom 12.6, to your 11.12, so i'm just wondering :]

Moreover, i just want to thank you once again for the TERRIFIC job you're providing man, i really appreciate it, and so do all the other guys out there!

:mhp:

17. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    WOOT WOOT!!! :banana::vader::flip2::kissin::roll:

that"s exactly what i did by the way.....

On a serious note, i tried just dumping akinferno's patch on top of 12.6 reloaded.....didn't work out so well.
    Had a negative effect on performance on some games (Alan Wake especially, almost 10fps dip) while on some did not notice any performance difference.

I think it's great that you guys are collaborating...holding my breath for a 12.6 ultimate version :)

The latest 12.6 reloaded drivers are the best for me so far. Great balance between performance and compatibility.
    Never had much luck with modded drivers and running test mode, seems to work well for single GPU but not CFX.

With the time and effort you guys are putting in, i'll make sure and do some driver comparisons and benches and post them.

18. labodj

labodj Guest

GPU:
    AMD Mobility HD4670 1GB
    Bad news... latest 12.6 (r4) green screen on facebook/youtube videos

Screenshot

Screen 2

If i move the time cursor backward or forward the problem goes away

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  19. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Ok, I have done extensive research, and it appears apparently *all* drivers after 11.9 are potentially broken on legacy with DXVA and green screens in media players and flash, even the 11.10 previews, *and* in conjunction with Intel CPU's, *and* depending which GPU you have.

You can find all this information yourself hunting around google people.

Therefore I recommend this for anyone plagued by this problem. You won't be losing much if anything on a legacy GPU by doing this.

Flash acceleration support was added way back in Catalyst 9.11, and GPU accelerated video decoding in programs such as VLC was added since Catalyst 10.7.

Download Catalyst 11.9 Win 7 64 bit WHQL and unpack but don't install.

In the Packages>Drivers>Display>W76A_INF>B125297 folder

You will find the following files :

atiumd6a.ca_
    atiumd6a.dl_
    atiumd6v.dl_

atiumdmv.dl_
    atiumdva.ca_
    atiumdva.dl_

Copy these files to the corresponding folder in the 12.6 unpacked folder or 11.12 unpacked Hybrid package if you are having green screen problems with 11.12 aswell.

Uninstall your driver, re-install your driver now including these different files taken from 11.9 and your green screen problems should now hopefully be all gone on whatever configuration you are using...

Let me know if this solution *finally* works out for you...

Further to this, I would like to compile a list of all Catalyst releases where DVXA is broken with green screens and those that are not, which should help HTPC users where such matters as correct functioning are important.

And maybe if someone can upload some short "test" video that diagnoses and triggers the green screen problem also specifying what media player to use+version.

12.6 Reloaded V7

Changes from last version...

AMD Media Foundation Decoders updated to 1.0.71219.1540 from 13.1 package (thanks to orca for editing the ASIC include tables)

ATI HDMI audio device updated to 7.12.0.7712

OpenGL subsystem now updated to .11774 ( cites in motion still doesn't crash unlike .762 , PS/C4D fully working, Rage game fully working )
    seems to be working in all apps I have here 218 HW accelerated extensions. OpenGL .dll's robbed from 8.982.10_WHQL_Win8_120828a-146323C-Rage_6.

8.982.10.5000 crashes Cities in motion again so this is now the highest working OpenGL available on legacy despite the same OGL version number of both drivers.

Video subsytem changed in an attempt to cure the greenovision on legacy cards once and for all using solution above while I continue to search for a workable solution in the 12.xx range.

OpenGL profiles updates included.

If this driver now works for everyone without green screens on flash/dxva, I doubt there will be any more further updates because there is nothing newer to make use of since the legacy code has been removed.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mob198aq74pkgy

::Edit::

Forgot to include the new edited 13.1 Media foundation decoders packgage by mistake...

http://www.mediafire.com/?zscbfwn121z8svz

Add it to the Packages/Apps folder and your good to go. Not worth re-uploading the full driver just for that.

Regards, K.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  20. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Amazing job man :)

How about you working with ankinferno for the performance driver, is it still on the table? or is this 12.6v7 the result of your partnership already?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013