Corrupted Font wi/AMD Cards

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Pale Rider, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    I just installed my new ARES 3: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details.php?id=k4shr
    And the font is now corrupted.
    All the letters are fuzzy looking and appear to have multiple colors in them, instead of being solid black.
    This same thing happened when I installed a pair of MSI R9 290X Lightnings.
    I tried the Lightnings on 3 different computers and the results had exactly the same corrupted fonts.
    Any idea what may be causing this problem with my AMD cards?
    All I can figure is that there's some setting in Catalyst that I'm somehow missing, since the same corrupted fonts only show up with AMD cards.
    I did completely remove all prior Nvidia drivers before trying these 3 AMD cards.
    With my ARES 3 I used DDU to get rid of the Nvidia drivers and settings.
    I've also tried the same while both keeping PhysX and also when PhysX was removed.
    No change at all.
    At times the corruption is so bad I can barely read what's on the screen.
    At other times, such as the preview of this post, the corruption is almost unnoticeable.
    Please advise.

2. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Never heard of this issue. Tried different monitor cables? If using uncertified display port, the AMD cards may not like it or something.

3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    My 1st thought when this happened back when I bought the 2 Lightning cards.
    I bought 2 sets of Display Port Cables and 2 sets of DVI-D. No change at all.
    This is the most weird thing I've ever ran across with AMD cards.
    I really appreciate your reply. I get so few with this question.
    I'm hoping Hilbert may know of something to try or someone to contact about this problem.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Try booting a Linux LiveCD (preferably a Ubuntu Utopic 14.10 daily since it has an updated graphics stack) and see what happens there.

If you want to take it a step further, install it somewhere, and then install fglrx (AMD's proprietary driver), and see what happens.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
  6. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Sorry, but I've been reinstalling Windows 7 Pro x64 and all its updates all day long.
    I used a new SSD so there wasn't a thing Nvidia on it.
    I paid attention and noticed exactly when the corruption began, this time.
    It happened when I set my monitor to its native resolution of 2560 x 1600 with my Dell U3011 monitor.
    When I clicked on Save, the corruption immediately happened.
    Instead of the drivers that came with the ARES 3, I used the latest WHQL drivers from AMD this time. It didn't help.
    ClearType is built into Win 7, I ran it as usual and it didn't help at all.
    As I said earlier, I tried new DVI-D and Display Port cables, to no avail.
    All I can figure is that AMD can't run at higher resolutions, or Dell doesn't recognize AMD cards.
    I don't know a thing about Linux. I once owned a set of Red Hat disks, but ended up trashing them.
    I don't what else to try. Especially since the same thing happens when I tried to run a matched pair of MSI R9 290 X Lightning cards. That would put this problem in the drivers themselves.
    I've already been through all the settings in the CAT Control Center and nothing there helps, either.
    I appreciate your responses and hope you will keep making them. Something may work eventually, but I'll never know if you give up and make no further suggestions to me.
    I've tried screen captures showing this corruption, but it just doesn't come through when I upload to different sites. Please don't give up on me, I need help from everybody that has ideas about this aggravating problem.
    Thanks to you all.

7. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    have u updated the bios ? just been looking now says one new bios

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    I doubt that would work.
    See, this MSI motherboard is new.
    It replaced my ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, which has died since then.
    When I replaced the Nvidia cards on the RIVE, the corruption went away.
    The problem was exactly the same with the ASUS board and, back then, my MSI R9 290X Lightning's.

9. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Hopefully this pic will show what I'm up against

Nope. It was more clear here than as I copied it.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lovely, now I strongly believe your case is regular PICNIC.
    Since you just say, no, it does nothing.

Like if I can't understand Spanish and am asked question: "Did that Spanish guy say something on radio?" And I reply: "Nope, just noise."

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

What?

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    He is dismissing most of propositions which may or may not solve his issue.
    He can post image of that font corruption here, so we will have much better idea what may be cause.

But he even decided that image will not tell anyone anything, just because it did not tell him anything.

13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Same here. What? What does a picnic have to do with anything?
    Why did you mention my case? What would my computer case have to do with anything?

This pic. I can read it clearly here. This same image (live) on my monitor is completely unreadable.
    [​IMG]

14. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Try clear type text tuner in control panel/display

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I can tell you why you could not identify anything on screenshot. It is because you saved it as jpeg which is not lossless.
    Try again with png (Portable Network Graphics).

And it anyway looks like badly done clear type config as I ask you to check before.

If you try to post another one, please use full screen image, no resizing of any kind and place it into {spoiler} {/spoiler} tags. Use [] instead of {}.

Edit: And you have option to disable Clear Type completely. Letters will become blocky as no subpixel antialiasing will be used. And if there is no issue at all, it was just Clear Type.
    It that continues with Clear Type off, then post screenshot too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

16. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Thanks! I already had Clear Type tuned, so here it is when turned OFF:

Here's the same screen with CT ON:

My desktop Icon fonts cleared up quite a bit with CT OFF, but, I opened a context menu and it was completely unreadable. It didn't even resemble a language, just squiggles. When I turned CT back ON, the context menu was still nearly unreadable, but I could decipher what it was.
    This is the weirdest problem I've ever encountered with any graphics card. How can it be so selective in what it shows clearly and otherwise?
    I've been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and Mahjongg. There's no distortion in any of these games. Even when the game sets itself at Ultra-High settings. The temp stays below 50C.
    I haven't bothered installing any others in case I have to reinstall Windows once again. Last time (only yesterday?) there were 202 updates I got to sit through. Plus drivers, plus AV and other programs.
    This post I'm typing looks like I'm using a 50 year old typewriter that's never been cleaned.
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. Nurmi

Nurmi Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, your images are interesting. On Clear Type OFF all pixels sit as they should.
    On Clear Type ON picture:
    - font is smaller
    - icons are smaller
    - every graphical element is smaller
    - it basically resembles Clear Type OFF downscaled by 3-5% with poor bilinear sampling

If I presume you did not do mistake while cropping it there is no rational reason for Clear Type to change way graphical elements/text is zoomed in/out.

What to check next?
    - Right Click desktop
    - Screen Resolution
    - Make Text and other items larger or smaller
    - There either pull bar to the left as possible or set to 100%
    - > You may find "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" which may bring percentage selection
    - and you have to log out/in or reboot for this change to take full effect

Because I tested 150% and size of text in pixels was same as are yours, Clear Type stopped working well and became uncalibratable because it relies on subpixel antialiasing. And windows upscaled text after antialiasing and not before.

And it is possible that windows automatically sets 150% of default DPI (PPI) once resolution reaches certain level, or if monitor tells windows it has certain pixel density.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes it does, but I believe Pale Rider would notice that he has black frame at edges of screen.
    And I think he already tried to mess with CCC scaling.

One of reasons why I wanted to see full screenshot is:
    Windows could set higher or lower resolution that native of his screen. which would then be up/down scaled to cover entire area.

(bad CCC scaling would not affect image resolution, but only covered area of screen.)

Edit:
    http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/korangler/media/Snap1CTOFF_zps2c2c682d.png.html
    http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/korangler/media/Snap2CTON_zps3eae717a.png.html
    I displayed them via their interface, which have little zoom-in icon at top right as you hover over image (view image) which brings it to 1:1.
    Both are of same DPI, neither is resized down. And both images are taken without Clear Type.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  20. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    I really appreciate all of tis help.
    I'm not the least bit familiar with using CCC.
    I've only owned the following cards:
    ARES 3
    MSI R9 290X Lightning x2
    ARES2
    Radeon X800 PRO
    The ARES 2 was the only one that ran perfectly out of the box.
    Also, it was the last card I used with a Samsung 21" monitor.
    I asked the AMD Forum, repeatedly, to help me with the CCC program, and all I got was to click on the question mark at the top right of each page of CCC.
    Those instructions are worthless.
    Usually, they just link back to another set of CCC instructions without actually explaining anything.
    CCC is nowhere close to being as well documented and easy to use as the Nvidia Control Panel.
    Here's a shot of the only CCC page where I can find scaling mentioned. The settings are as they were when I 1st opened the program.
    I'm still not sure what it means.

I can find no scale to adjust the scaling, just the check boxes of the above app. The instruction say that there may or may not be other controls, depending on the individual card.
    I tried this:
    "What to check next?
    - Right Click desktop
    - Screen Resolution
    - Make Text and other items larger or smaller
    - There either pull bar to the left as possible or set to 100%
    - > You may find "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" which may bring percentage selection
    - and you have to log out/in or reboot for this change to take full effect."
    At 100%, the 125% it was already set at, and 150%.
    It cleared up some, at 100%, but I think that was due to the adjusted size (there was less of an image to be corrupted) but, again, when I opened the desktop context menu, it still appeared as a bunch of unreadable squiggles.
    I've tried capturing an image of the context menu, but it disappears whenever I click on capture, using my usual Hypersnap 8, and also Print Screen from my keyboard.
    I tried 150% and everything mostly cleared up, but the context menu is still unreadable.
    I can't believe I'm the only person with this problem.
    My Del U3011 is a fairly common monitor and there should be others who are also using AMD cards with theirs.
    There's something I don't understand in AIDA 64 Extreme.
    What does "Pixel Clock: 268.5MHz" mean?