Irritating problem with MSI Afterburner (fan running 100%))

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by djchristian, Dec 12, 2012.

1. djchristian

djchristian Guest

Everytime i log into Windows the fan resets to 100% whatever setting i have set in the program. I have made a custom fan control but it doesn't seem to comply with it. The program lives it's own life.

It worked with 2.23 and below but now it doesn't work anymore. Somehow the program doesn't abide to my automatic fan control schedule anymore. The damn thing seem to reset to 100% after 1-2 seconds. Used defined and Auto are both checked. I have to manually go in and press OK for the automatic fan control tab everytime i log in to Windows to follow the automatic fan control schedule.

Running Win 7 64-bit non overclocked AMD Radeon HD6850. And Afterburner 2.30. Don't matter which AMD drivers i use. Neither 12.10 nor 12.11.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

"The damn thing" is AMD CCC, which is starting and overriding fan speed even when it is not asked to do so. Use search, it was discussed 1000 times, read context help for "Force fan speed update on each period" and enable it.

3. deja_vu

deja_vu Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 890/1200
  4. Unwinder

See zero similar, please twice think before jumping in with "I have the same issue", it won't get it solved faster and will only confuse those who actually search and read forums. Do you see anything common between resetting fan speed at OS startup and total inability to use user defined fan speed? I absolutely don't, the only common thing is "fan" word.
    On your issue, ensure that fan speed defined by your curve and current temperature is physically programmable. You can easily hit lower limit of your fan controller and try to set unsupported speed with a curve.

5. deja_vu

deja_vu Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 890/1200
    I apologize for saying similar...you are right, the only thing in common is the problem with fan control.

Yes I am certain that the defined fan speed is physically programmable. Before I even started messing with it the fan would idle at 20%. I even changed the idle to 30% and still nothing. The magic temp remains at just above 80 celsius before the fan will speed up..and then the fan will drop when it hits below 68 degrees. I even changed the curve to higher speeds with no luck:

[​IMG]

6. Unwinder

I'm afraid there is some misunderstanding because you're saying opposite things in your linked thread:

So once again, are you sure that target fan speeds you're trying to set with a curve are physically programmable? Are you able to set any fan speed from your custom curve range manually and is it physically being really applied?

7. deja_vu

deja_vu Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 890/1200
    Sorry I was unclear.

I can set the fan speed manually from a range of 20% to 100% without issue. But using the "user defined software automatic fan control" there is no change in fan speed as I have set in the graph. The only fan speed change I see is when it reaches 80 degrees celcius, well above most of the temperatures of the user defined values (in the curve). I should begin seeing the changes at either 40 or 50 degrees.

8. Unwinder

You can set it on slider or can apply and see it applied?

9. deja_vu

deja_vu Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 890/1200
    Yes, I can set it on the slider and click apply and it will apply 90% of the time. It seems if I try to make a small change (like 30% to 35%) it won't apply. I have to do a larger change like 30% to 40%.

10. Unwinder

It us not supposed to be so on reference design fan controller. Sounds like Sapphire fan controller uses some form of hysteresis on this card. I cannot help with that, stick with Sapphire's own fan control software then.

11. deja_vu

deja_vu Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 890/1200
    Alright, will do. Thanks for your help.

12. djchristian

djchristian Guest

Yep it was AMD CCC. Damn thing was on automatic. Turned it off and it works again. :)

What does "Force fan speed update on each period" do? Yea i am too lazy hehe.

13. Unwinder

Peek into context help for it.