Can my laptop provide more than 60Hz?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by 3xistenz, Jan 18, 2014.

1. 3xistenz

3xistenz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640M LE
    Hi,

I've got a Sony Vaio SVS1513C5E which has hybrid graphics provided by an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE.

Recently I've purchased a BenQ XL 2411T Rev 2.0 which is capable of 144Hz.

I was wondering if I can get more than 60Hz when connecting the BenQ to the Vaio at a 1920x1080 resolution? I did connect them with an hdmi 1.4b cable and enabled only the second monitor (the BenQ) but still no more than 60Hz show up on the monitor settings.

Can some laptop/monitor gurus help me on this?

Regards,

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I believe 144Hz is only supported via dual-link DVI. The cable is 1.4b, but isn't the monitor's HDMI version 1.3?

3. 3xistenz

3xistenz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640M LE
    I couldn't get information regarding the hdmi input on the monitor...
    So let's assume it's not. There's no way I can get more than the 60Hz using some kind of adapter/converter?

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You can get more than 60Hz by overclocking within HDMI's bandwidth limits. Limits apply to both the monitor's HDMI input and the laptop's HDMI output. To overclock, download CRU by ToastyX.

Note that there exists no real HDMI to dual-link DVI passive adapter AFAIK, and the ones listed cannot possibly convert HDMI, which is basically electrically equivalent to single-link DVI, to dual-link DVI, which has 2 links. Not sure if active adapters exist, but those would allow you to run 1920x1080 144Hz which is barely over the 340MHz standard pixel clock limitation of even HDMI 1.3, at ~346.55 MHz. With LCD reduced timings, you would very well be under that limit, and anyways the 144Hz mode should be less bandwidth-intensive than calculated since it has a reduced blanking period (which takes up bandwidth) compared to 120Hz (some ASUS monitor(s) got 144Hz support over 120Hz via a firmware upgrade!).

I have no idea how limited the HDMI port on the monitor is, but if it conforms to standards, then it should easily allow 144Hz via unofficial overclocking. So should the laptop. It is definitely worth a try and if you do get 144Hz out of that setup, it should be a fantastic thing.

EDIT: You will have to use a driver patcher (from the same page) for pixel clocks greater than 165MHz per link (165MHz for single-link DVI / HDMI, 330MHz for dual-link DVI). The Nvidia GeForce 700 series (at least: 780, Titan, 780Ti) come with unlocked pixel clock without the need to use a patcher, since one of their advertised features is monitor overclocking (since Titan).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

5. 3xistenz

3xistenz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640M LE
    Thank you for the great info Yasamoka!

I did apply the nvidia patcher which said:

64bit driver found

DL-DVI limit : found
    SL-DVI/HDMI limit : found
    SL limit on DL-DVI limit : found

then it patched successfully. Opening the patcher again says already patched instead of found on the three limits and prompts to restore from backup (I didn't restore ofc).

Afterwards I restarted and opened the CRU.exe. On the detailed resolutions it had my current one: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. I deleted that one added a new one and only changed the option refresh rate to 120.00Hz (the pixel clock gets automatically set to 297.00Mhz). I've also unchecked the "Include extension block" as per ToastyX's instructions on the thread you've linked.

Finally I pressed Ok, restarted and opened the CRU.exe again. The BenQ display shows as (active)* which according to ToastyX means :

""(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
    "*" means changes were saved and an override is in effect.
    "

So I guess it worked? How can I really check if it is at 120.00Hz? Going to Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Monitor -> selecting the BenQ still only shows 60Hz. Maybe the "overclock" isn't recognized by Windows or does it mean it didn't work after all?

A couple more notes:
    1) I'm running Windows 8
    2) Regarding CRU.exe, ToastyX does say : "Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported" (I guess my laptop with the intel and nvidia graphics falls into this description, even though CRU.exe says (active)* which should mean it worked)

Waiting to hear what you think yasamoka! =)

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Seems like you're out of luck if it's switchable graphics. Such laptops use the Intel GPU to control the monitor and thus have no direct connection between the Nvidia / AMD GPU and the monitor, AFAIK.

Keep the 60Hz one, first of all. Use Reset-All.exe and start afresh. Add a 61Hz mode, see if that works. It probably will not, I'm afraid.

7. 3xistenz

3xistenz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640M LE
    So you're saying though it says (active)* the fact that is doesn't show up on the windows monitor settings means it didn't work?

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    (active*) means that the monitor is active. It does not mean that the settings you have entered will work. Try 61Hz.

9. 3xistenz

3xistenz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640M LE
    I tried the 61Hz and still nothing comes up on Windows Monitor Settings.
    And sorry to insist but according to ToastyX:

""(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
    "*" means changes were saved and an override is in effect."

I've got both the active and the asterisk. I understand that active is just saying what monitor I'm using but the part that matters is that I also have the asterisk which my uneducated guess would interpret as having successfully overclocked the bandwidth. I guess I'm wrong?

Also, I didn't change any other settings in the CRU.exe except the refresh rate and the uncheck of the "include extension block". This is correct right?

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I like it when you insist! :banana: No problem, ask away.

I suppose you deserve a more elaborate explanation. This is how I understand it.

There are 4 parts to ensuring a monitor overclock works.

1) Is the EDID override working in software (Windows)? The * indicates that an EDID override is working and that Windows allows the custom resolutions to be set and activated. CRU makes sure that your graphics card no longer asks the monitor what display modes it supports, but rather bypasses that check (EDID override) and allows you to set an unofficial display mode.

2) Does the display driver even support EDID overrides? - Intel does not.

3) Does the display driver have pixel clock limitations to prevent high overclocks that are not considered standard? - ToastyX provides patchers

4) Is the hardware capable of pushing the specified timings and pixel clock?

Your problem lies at 2). 1) is successful.

I believe this is the correct setup for Nvidia cards, yes.

11. 3xistenz

3xistenz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640M LE
    Well that's a great brief explanation for newbies like myself. I got the basics at least and some info if I want to research more.

Very well explained indeed.

Thank you for your time yasamoka!

Best Regards,
    Eduardo Serrano

P.S- lol at that insist smilie =p

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You're welcome man.

If you ever decide to get an HDMI to dual-link DVI active adapter, if that exists, given that Intel supports high pixel clocks over HDMI, and try to get 144Hz out of that monitor, do let us know. Would be a first to me.

They all like that smilie. :banana:

13. 3xistenz

3xistenz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640M LE
    I amazon'ed it and found this:

1) amazon.co.uk/PC-TradingĀ®-DVI-D-Adapter-Female/dp/B005MR4LXS
    2) amazon.co.uk/2m-HDMI-DVI-Cable-Premium/dp/B007OUBSFA/ref=sr_1_3
    3) amazon.co.uk/Version-15-8gbps-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-BLURAY/dp/B007N91OA6/ref=sr_1_2

Since I already bought an hdmi 1.4b cable I guess the first choice would be enough right? Or you think it's best to go for one of the other two? Between 2 and 3 I guess I should go with 3.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I would ask ToastyX before going any further. Seeing if it is even possible, at all limits, to get 144Hz out of that monitor with a laptop with Intel graphics.

15. SagaX

SagaX Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7450m 1GB
    Yes .