Rome 2: Total War?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Try turning off vegetation alpha first, it adds some effect on trees and such (They look smoother but also a bit odd when you compare via say the benchmark utility.) but it brings down the framerate even on high-end GPU's though I do not know if it does affect the world map or just the battle maps.

2. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    The new drivers bring the SLI performance up to par with Single GPU performance on my PC. And I'm no longer getting sub-30fps dips. Still could be better.

3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The beta version of update 12 is available now.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_12

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can't believe the developers are still fixing the A.I. after TWELVE patches!!! :O

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    but is it fixed. the million dollar question.

hell did they ever fix formation fighting because that seemed to be an engine limitation.

6. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Formation worked fine in Shogun 2 (if you expected Rome 1 level of rigidness, that was stupid and they actually "fixed" that intentionally in Rome 1 with one of latest patch they released for it) and I don't see how something like that is an engine limitation. I see the blame thrown at the warscape engine a lot in other community sites but what makes you think something like this is even remotely tied to game engine's limitation?

Texture loading in Unreal games were engine limitation. Unit behavior goes through so many complex coding that to blame the engine just seem so premature without concrete proof proving so.

On broader topic, I'll give some credit to CA for still trying to piece this pile of mess together but man, the patch history of Rome 2 is pure comedy.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    because the engine was designed for one on one animations and battles? great for feudal japan where battles are more or less like that, not so great when phalanix and formation warfare with spear walls and skirmish lines were the order of the day.

8. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    You know they can disable more complex animations? That sort of unit behavior is not hard coded into a game engine (and that's not what game engines are for). That is like saying Flak cannon in UT games were too noob friendly because of engine limitation. And they actually did fix unit cohesion way earlier, effectively removing blobbing from most elite units so long as they were not ordered to.

And feudal japan battles weren't more or less like 'one on one' battles. They employed much more mobile version of pike & shot that was seen in Western Europe.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well got myself suspended from twcenter.net after being given an infraction for telling someone to grow up. then another for an "off-topic" comment to which i publically told the mod to go xxxxx himself.

That forum is becoming like the official one with threads locked and posts deleted for almost nothing.

Anyways I think the series could be on it's way out. I dont see anything that suggests CA are going to change the way they are going to make the total wars and seem to want to continue with the warscape engine which in my opinion is like polishing a turd!

Their next outings seem to be alien isolation and warhammer. Warhammer might work as it's fantasy...i.e pretty much what the recent total wars are anyways...:)

however that said might be able to play this in another 6 months time...

10. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I'm glad CA are still committed to fixing the game. The modders are doing good job, too. Performance is still poor on my high-end rig compared to other DX11 AAA titles (I get 60fps in Black Flag maxed out) but passable for an RTS. My main issue is the lack of proper AA. GEM mod (SweetFX) helps a little but as soon as you move the camera you get the horrible shimmer effect.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    am not interested in the game until sieges work properly, rest of the issues can live with.

the transport ships is another brainless idea.

12. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    OK guys, so we're on Patch 14 now.... apparently from what I been reading on TWcenter and their official forums as well, the Siege AI seems to have improved to playable levels now, so pretty much fixed.....

HOWEVER..... I'm still having MAJOR MAJOR issues playing this game from a performance standpoint.... I get horrible FPS on campaign map, I found out the game is basically only using 1 of my 6 cores, first core is maxed out while the other 5 cores sit absolutely idle......
    I have videos of this I was going to post below but I need to have over 5 posts to be able to do that...

I have also now seen that the latest patch seems to have broken my Crossfire, so it's back to single card usage... that doesnt matter much because dual card never helped much anyway...
    so this game doesn't know how to utilize your CPU nor your GPU/S.....

how are the rest of you managing to play this game ? it's been unplayable for me and many many others since release

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  13. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I've given up on this game. Even some of the mod makers havn't bothered updated their mods since the last 2 patches.

The AA is still a shimmering mess, the performance (single and Multi GPU) is terrible (can't even maintain a minimum of 45fps), still no tessellation either. They tried an ambitious revamp of the Shogun engine and failed. These problems are so off-putting to me that I don't care how good the gameplay is now. I'll stick to Civ 5 and Beyond Earth.

14. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I am getting great performance actually. I am for once committed to finishing the campaign and taking my time.

AI is better and the graphics of a battle with the blood mod is awesome.

15. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero

What is your CPU overclocked too ?? how are you getting this "great" performance, also please define what is great? what detail setting and what is your average frame rate on campaign map and battles...
    I ran my CPU at 4.9ghz just to see how far I could push it, and I managed to get a few extra frames on campaign map, lol, this game is a kick to my nutsack

But the only campaign I could find myself to finish was the Hannibal at the Gates, it's the only part of the game where you can BARELY get minimum 60fps... and even that is only on high detail setting... and before anyone jumps the gun, the high setting in this game is literally the middle choice, so it's really medium settings

16. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I run everything on ultra minus vegetation alpha and DOF on low as high looks a bit too blurry for me.

Campaign map i get around 50-60 and in battle 55-60. When HUGE armies crash together it goes down to 50-45 but is stable.

My OC and specs are under my name.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I'd hardly call it great perf. But runs ok for me...

Game still needs another couple of patches in my opinion and torches need to go full stop. (magic transports navies also...)

Tbh the whole game is a fail for me. Wont be pre-ordering a CA game for some time it seems.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    So the game is now released x months late...:)

It's incredible to see how games can be released in such a state and companies get away with it...

CA is really low in my opinion atm.

Cheers Jonas might give it another go at some point.

20. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    After 15 patches:

Still no SLI
    Still only basic MLAA and no tessellation
    Still sub-60fps on Ultra settings
    Still doesn't look any better than Shogun 2 maxed out