Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#351)
xlollomanx
Newbie
 
Videocard: 8650G + 7670M
Processor: AMD A10-5750M
Mainboard: Hewlett-Packard
Memory: 6 GB
Soundcard:
PSU: -
Default 06-21-2017, 12:11 | posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1 View Post
driver doesn't contain anything weird, just has legacy entries that allow you to use the driver with new gpus(gcn) if you have old gpus installed, otherwise it would fail for both.

It doesn't actually install anything on old gpus.

blame windows update for being dumb and assuming that it's a legit driver.
I'm very sad to hear that...I'm hoping they give us last legacy patch with some fixes...
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#352)
crazyline
Newbie
 
Videocard: 8680g+7670M
Processor: APU A10 5750M
Mainboard: HP
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: IDT
PSU: 35
Default 06-21-2017, 19:20 | posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlollomanx View Post
I'm very sad to hear that...I'm hoping they give us last legacy patch with some fixes...
Forget that my friend,i email with amd about that , and try to push them to make a final legacy driver and no way , its really a shame
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#353)
user1
Master Guru
 
user1's Avatar
 
Videocard: hd 6870
Processor: intel xeon e5450 @3.6ghz
Mainboard: ip35-e
Memory: PC2-6400 DDR2 6GB
Soundcard:
PSU: 550w
Default 06-22-2017, 01:17 | posts: 354

Some times you just gotta let things die, gcn has been around for nearly 5 1/2 years now, even a cheapo rx560 or almost any 300$ gcn apu based laptop will be a major upgrade over even the fastest vliw gpus.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#354)
Spectrobozo
Member Guru
 
Videocard: 8600GT
Processor: Athlon 64 X2 4000+
Mainboard: asrock alivenf6g-dvi
Memory: 2gb ddr2
Soundcard: ALC888
PSU: huntkey 450w
Default 06-22-2017, 11:32 | posts: 46 | Location: Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1 View Post
Some times you just gotta let things die, gcn has been around for nearly 5 1/2 years now, even a cheapo rx560 or almost any 300$ gcn apu based laptop will be a major upgrade over even the fastest vliw gpus.
RX 560 is better but $300 laptop? APU? not really, I've seen the 7870K delivering lower performance than my 5850 in some heavy games, those things have really terrible memory bandwidth bottlenecks.

hopefully the new APUs will be a huge step forward, whatever sorcery Nvidia has with memory bandwidth efficiency is what AMD needs for their APUs.

the little GT 1030 is keeping up with some stuff with 128bit memory with only 50GB/s.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#355)
user1
Master Guru
 
user1's Avatar
 
Videocard: hd 6870
Processor: intel xeon e5450 @3.6ghz
Mainboard: ip35-e
Memory: PC2-6400 DDR2 6GB
Soundcard:
PSU: 550w
Default 06-23-2017, 12:00 | posts: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrobozo View Post
RX 560 is better but $300 laptop? APU? not really, I've seen the 7870K delivering lower performance than my 5850 in some heavy games, those things have really terrible memory bandwidth bottlenecks.

hopefully the new APUs will be a huge step forward, whatever sorcery Nvidia has with memory bandwidth efficiency is what AMD needs for their APUs.

the little GT 1030 is keeping up with some stuff with 128bit memory with only 50GB/s.
I wasn't suggesting replacing a desktop vliw card with an apu notebook,

I meant that if you owned a vliw card/ apu you could replace it with a modern gcn product of the same type for little money and be an upgrade.

should have been more clear

that being said the igpu of the 7870k is probably better than any vliw gpu in the sense that it can play any new game with low settings where as the vliw cards can't play some at all or with major issues.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.