Black screen upon trying to boot in Safe Mode using DDU to uninstall old driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kayos, May 24, 2017.

1. Kayos

Kayos Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I just got my EVGA GTX 1080 and downloaded DDU to remove old drivers. I was only getting 60fps on the games I tried so I figured I would look at drivers first.

I made the mistake of first uninstalling current drivers with add/remove programs, downloaded and ran DDU and pressed the button to restart in 'safe mode'.

When the PC restarted I was presented with a black screen. No matter how many times I rebooted it is still a black screen.

Is the display no longer recognizing the GPU? I tried connecting the HDMI to the Mobo and there is no signal from there.

I am at work at the moment and am trying to get a game plan together of what to do when I go home.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I looked at other threads and couldn't find anything exactly like my situation. Thanks in advance!

2. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Boot into bios, select on-board gfx.

EDIT : Move monitor connector to on-board slot too at back of pc.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  3. Kayos

Kayos Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Thanks, Ill try this. I did try earlier by just moving the cable over to the motherboard after restarting but it was not registering a signal. Is there a way to hard reset the display so it doesn't try routing through the GPU? Or would it be better to just remove the card so it defaults to the mobo?

4. Kayos

Kayos Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Fixed this!

I just removed the GPU and booted with the HDMI plugged into the motherboard, Ran DDU and then replace the GPU and updated the drivers.