Windows 8 High DPC latency Fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Penal Stingray, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Before this tweak im was averaging 500 now after the tweak im at 12. I was wondering why im running high dpc when I install windows 8 compare to windows 7.

1.Run CMD with Administrator Rights and copy this bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

2. And Paste it lol then press enter close the cmd restart your pooter and watch your DPC latency drop big time. u can measure ur dpc latency by downloading DPC Latency checker http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Benefits of low DPC is

Stuttering is improved a lot games now rarely stutters

Input lag improves

Sound quality improves "maybe placebo effect but for me I notice it"

FPS improves as well as video playback improves

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Just some info for some on it

disabledynamictick [ yes | no ]
    Enables and disables dynamic timer tick feature. The option is available starting with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
    Note This option should only be used for debugging.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542202(VS.85).aspx

3. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    whats the benefit of doing this?

edit: nvm i just read first post properly , just ran the latency thing on mine and it was at about 1000 lol

4. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    If ur dpc is already low below 20 ish no need to disable it but if ur dpc is around 500 ish which is pretty high disabling it helps big time it felt like running a different pc, games just runs butter smooth.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you downloaded a new version of dpc latency checker ? (since it doesnt show proper values for windows 8 according to the creators).

6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Ive tried the cmd command 3 times now and still no change, Anyidea why folks?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Same here and it didnt budge even after this "tweak"..

LatencyMon shows a different story (all ok).

From what i saw Latency DPC isnt compatible with win8 anyway.

8. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He's just pulling your legs again. DPC latency is reported inaccurately in Windows 8.

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    But i dont have any legs left!! :p

11. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Latencymon can report it correctly afaik.

12. Mangix

Mangix Guest

ahem: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897568.aspx

DPC Latency Mon under Windows 8 shows the value that this tool also shows. The reason is that there were some kernel API changes that cause DPC Latency Mon to be fed info about the clock resolution and not about the DPCs.

Here's a simple test you can do: Install MPC-HC as well as madVR and play a video using madVR. DPC Latency Mon should show latencies of ~500 instead of ~1000 because madVR specifically lowers the clock resolution.

To wrap up, the fix mentioned in the original post is full of FUD.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^^ I guess that settles it then. Report this dumbas5 so that he can play on his WiiU 24x7.

14. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Latency Mon shows I got 7 Kernel I used to get 84 before it wonder why? did those tweak did something? lol

[​IMG]

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    your supposed to let it running abit longer, not 3 secs

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    HPET off in bios and in win8?

I have both on and got 1000us with DPC latency checker.

17. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    kinda odd my dpc latency timer says im hoovering around 12 and 14

I have HPET on in bios and Platformlock true in windows which is enabled and im using the resolution tool timer which is set to 0.500 ms in simple

HPET Bios+PlatformLock true HPET Windows Enabled+Resolution Timer Tool+Dynamictick disabled= low dpc and games , videos runs a lot better its like having a new pc. well that works for me it might not works on others since system is different. u gotta experiment which one is best suited for your system im just sharing the amazing results i found.

18. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    well before the tweak it was the same time as soon as i open it, it was stuck at 84 to even 90 so it don't matter.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    All those latency tool show incorrect results in Windows 8 and they have not yet been updated. This is pretty pointless to be honest, it doesn't fix anything.

20. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    then how do explain the drop on dpc when disabling dynamictick? it might not be accurate in reading but the drop in dpc is there. i mean its obvious going from 500 to 12 in dpc latency timer and going 84 to just 7 in latency mon when disabling dynamictick also why does game runs so damn smooth its gotta be doing something right? also disabling dynamictick solves some freezing issues found in windows 8.

Windows 8 dynamic tick has a bug on it

"An official workaround, courtesy of Microsoft Senior SDET hero Tripp Parks, is now available for those experiencing Windows 8 freezing issues. Simply open an elevated command prompt, issue the following command, and reboot:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

It’s still unclear what the exact issue is, but we can now surmise from this tweak that there’s definitely an issue with Windows and hardware compatibility — specifically dealing with the Windows clock and processor dynamic ticking.

Okay, but what are dynamic ticks? Do I need them?

Very generally speaking, (I’m not a hardware expert), your PC’s processor — like a clock — ticks at a certain rate. These ticks are received by the OS to perform various tasks and push paper around. When your PC is idle, however, this constant ticking and interrupting of the OS eats time and power.

Cue dynamic ticking.

This new concept involves the processor coalescing or batching together ticks when idle, only delivering them when a more interesting event occurs. In other words, the processor gets to hit the snooze button a few more times before waking up.

(Hey, remember my previous memory dump showed processors in idle states? Interesting.)

So wait, won’t turning this off eat more power/be less efficient?

Very likely. But it appears the new dynamic ticking feature in Windows 8 has a bug in it. So turning it off should revert you back to behavior similar to what’s on Windows 7 until a fix comes out or a newer build becomes available."

http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/06/28/workaround-for-windows-8-freezing-issues/

in the end disabling it gets the dpc latency i usually get in windows 7 i unno if this can be fixed via updates or needs to be recoded again. maybe its one of the flaws that windows 8 have.