Plugging External HDD to Xbox one.

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Last week. Plugged 1TB 7200 rpm usb 3.0 hdd to my Xbox one. And moved games to it. And yes loading times are better. As google search also says same thing.

Other day plugged 256 gb ssd external and moved forza horizontal 2 and some other titles. And loads faster.

So as many forums and my experience says here. I recommend using externally HDD with Ur Xbox one. Worhs it.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh, i will need to give this a try, i already have 1TB internal, but i have a spare 1tb portable.

Did your drive have it's own power or did it run from the xbox usb?

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Now my both 1tb has own power from USB. Ssd is too.

But I Trent sourcea claims of the external device has own power adapter, it will have better performance which I have no idea. And if it is real, will it be noticeable.

Last night played forza a bit and that reward time option was taking ages to load. But now instant on my ssd. Which is good.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    USB3.0 drives shouldn't need a separate power supply.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    there are some devices which r bigger TB and big devices. Book series of WD?

no idea. what what internet says.

i use 3.0 none powered devices. both 1TB and 256GB SSD.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The desktop versions probably do require a separate power cable. Especially if they are the multi drive versions. The smaller ones like the WD Passport don't.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Most external hard drives shouldnt require external power supplies at all any more, even the big ones, USB 3 gives you 0.85A (4.25W) which should cover most all hard drives now.

Plus you could use a splitter

Stand corrected! Wonder if it's just a lazy design

oh wait yeah a 4tb 3.5" drive uses 7 watts.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Just get ssd and load games faster =)

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It's not that much faster. And if you buy a lot of console games, the cost of a SSD big enough to store all your games is still fairly expensive.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    My whole Xbox one games r digital and I already needed space.

Besides if u check some benchmarks, games like gta 5 and Assassin Creed syndicate gains alot of jump. I am on mobile. U can google it.

And if u r limited on budget. I can't strongly recommend this.

Further more some people claim even a common 3.0 usb hdd will be more beneficial than what Xbox one offers. Not sure if it is true.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No it's totally true, digital foundry have done quite a few tests now to show that both the stock HDD on the PS4 and X1 are really slow, anything you buy off amazon will be faster.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-worth-upgrading-your-ps4-with-an-ssd

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-should-you-upgrade-your-xbox-one-with-an-ssd

wish wii u could take proper advantage of fast drives, but it's limited to USB 2, which is barely faster than the internal storage.

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I can 100% agree with Mr.Bigtime's findings. I went all digital with my X1 library and went with a desktop 7200RPM drive with 64MB of cache going through USB3.0 with a separate power supply. Some games had huge decreases in load times, while others did not. The most noticeable change for me in most games was a large reduction if not total removal of stuttering, most noted in Forza Horizon 2 where the cars engine noise would get "stuck" for a few seconds when playing the game on the X1 internal drive.

Biggest decrease in load time for me was in GTA5. From starting the game to being in game it would take ~150 seconds installed on the internal drive, while it took 80 seconds after installing the game to the external drive. Lots of other games such as Trials Fusion, MCC, Halo 5, Forza 5 and 6. Overall my experience on X1 has been much better after moving everything to my external drive.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Been using external on my xbox since day one got total of 2tb space now which is enough :)

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I started to use Xbox one more than ps4. Better controller. Better controller battery life. Better loading times. But must admit sharing, communication is more friendly to me on ps4.

Also bought elite controller and must say it is epic. But if I was limited on money, I wouldn't buy it.

It is hard to get used to. Good with forza game. Shift paddles for game pad things.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^I just saw the price for one of those, between £100/£120 here in the UK. :eek2: