How to combine Computer & TV usage on same screen & speakers

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by YigalB, Nov 5, 2011.

1. YigalB

YigalB Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    I am trying to have one screen & one set of speakers in a teenager room, while having the ability to work with PC and watch cables TV (not at the same time).

Another requirement is to have a remote control, to allow changing source for the screen (watch cables or PC), and also control the volume.

The method I used so far is to connect the HDMI cable from the PC to source 1, and HDMI cable from PC to source 2, and connect the audio out of the screen to external speakers. The problem with this solution is that the audio quality drops down. It's also hard to find screens with audio out jack.

Another Method is to have a switching box before the screen, that will get audio & video from the 2 sources, and then split to the screen & speakers.
    The problem with this solution is the size of the receivers and the price.

My questions:
    - any solution that I didn't think of?
    - any recommendation?
    - is there an HDMI switching box, with remote & volume control?

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    get a TV card for your pc, and just use your tv as a mirror screen, you can get apps for your phone to control your pc including kb and mouse if you have one

3. YigalB

YigalB Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    I am not sure I understand "mirror screen": I have one LED screen with HDMI input.

In this case, I assume I need to replace the graphic card with another one with HDMI input that will be connected to the cable set top box, and the HDMI output will go to the LED screen I have, right?

This will solve the audio issue, since when I select the source (PC or cables), the audio will be switched as well.

How can I can I control PC from application? can you give me an example to such?

4. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    mirror screen= just a copy of what you see in your desktop monitor, just like a projector

and about the pc control, just a tip in case you own a droid/iphone you can use something like this

5. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Would this serve your purpose?

6. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    There are HDMI cables that will give you the option to Opt-out the Sound but i am not sure how the quality is on them. Also you might want to look for a splitter of some sort.

7. YigalB

YigalB Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    I am not sure. It has HDMI input, but if I understand correctly, it is used to capture and store, and not to be routed to the output HDMI on the PC's graphic card.
    It looks to me that this card doesn't replace the main graphic card.
    Am I right?

If so, perhaps the better solution would be to find a graphic card with two HDMI connectors: input and output, and with the ability to route the input to the output when watching the cable settopp box (which is connected to the input HDMI socket).

8. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I believe you are correct.

You want a TV tuner card.

Does your cable box not have coaxial (F connector) output?

9. YigalB

YigalB Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    I don't need tuner because my cable TV box has HDMI output, and I want to keep the HD quality.
    So now the question is:
    do I need one graphic card with HDMI input and HDMI output, or:
    do I need graphic card with HDMI output, and one capture card with HDMI input

10. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I believe, (and if someone else knows differently please correct me) that you need a TV tuner card to watch TV on the PC.

What are you using as a monitor?

In other words;

Are you wanting to watch TV on a PC monitor, or are you using the PC with a television as the monitor?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

11. YigalB

YigalB Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    The word TV might be confusing. I watch TV broadcasts that come from cable STB (Set top box)TV. Since the STB provides HDMI signal, I don't need a tuner card.
    Here is what I have:
    A PC with LED monitor connected via HDMI output of the PC's graphic card.
    The speakers are connected to the audio_out of the mother board.

Now, I want to add a cable STB with HDMI output - but the PC has no HDMI input.
    So either I add a capture add on card with HDMI input, or I replace the graphic card with another card which has both HDMI input and HDMI output.

I don't know what solution is preferred, and what cards might be good for this task.

12. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Email the manufacturers of this and ask if it will do what you want?

Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

13. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    I am not sure if you have articulated your problem well.

You issue is that you want sound from both sources ( PC and Cable) to come out of your speakers rather than your tv?

Sounds like you want a decent Stereo

What inputs do your speakers/stereo have? Most decent systems should have at least two hdmi inputs and an output.

Ideally you would have HDMI coming out of your pc and Cable to the Stereo and the HDMI output to the TV. Stereo remote will handle source selection.

Also, in terms of Graphics cards, you can buy a DVI/hdmi dongle to hook up extra HMDI cables out of your GFX card if you want one sorce to go to pc screen and one source to go to TV.

EDIT: after a re-read, do you want to watch Cable on your Computer Screen? If this is the case then you want a tv capture card. The tv caputure card will provide the HDMI input that you need. As well in most cases the software and remote that you want.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  14. YigalB

YigalB Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    I may have not explained it well.
    The bottom line is in your bottom line:
    I have two sources: Computer & cable box. Both have HDMI output, which includes video and audio.

I have one LED screen, with HDMI input. I also have Altec lansing speakers, with 3.5 mm standard input jack.

Now I want sometimes to watch & listen the cables and sometimes the PC, and control using a remote control.
    I hope I am clear so far.

A stereo can be a solution, but it's a overkill.
    I think that a capture card can be a solution.
    I was hoping to find a graphic card that has both input and output HDMI connectors, so i could have just one card instead of two. I failed to find Such.

I think that there are also external boxes that can do the job.
    But all that I located so far had analog outputs and not HDMI.

Another issue I am thinking of is the HDCP. I am not sure that the cards could handle HDCP content. Not sure, maybe they are just limited with recording and have no issue with watching.

15. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    Yeah, I am not aware of any normal cards having the ability to accept a video input. You definitely need a TV capture card to add a video input.

Not sure what the issue is with sound, maybe the screen just has a ****ty dac. It wouldn’t surprise me. With the tv capture card, you will be able to hook the speakers up to your pc. This should allow for a bit better quality sound.

I am not sure where you are based, but it shouldn’t be difficult to track down a decent capture card. Should be able to pick up a decent one for between $50-$100.

Just make sure that it has an HDMI input and remote. One thing to watch out for is some of the cheaper one’s cannot do 1080p, but I somehow doubt this may be an issue. If in doubt, just post links to any card you may think of buying and us Guru’s can review it and make sure it is the correct choice for you.

16. YigalB

YigalB Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    Now all is clear about internal card.

I also found out there are external solutions, such as this one:
    http://www.avermedia-usa.com//AVerTV/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=470.

The only thing that bothers me is that the HD signal to the STB is via component. Should
    I worry because of quality loss due to the component connectivity? after all, this brings us back to the analog domain.

17. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    Yip there are multiple external solutions, But I would guess they are generally a bit more to lots more expensive than an internal solution. You want a dvi or HDMI input ideally. I have seen several cheap solutions that have HDMI input.

I am not sure where you are based but in nz we are usally behind in tech, so you should be able to pick up something better and cheaper if you're in the states.

Avermedia create several solutions which should be suitable. They even allow you to game and watch tv at the same time.

http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=530