Why doesn't RadeonPro start in 64bit mode?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CPC_RedDawn, Nov 25, 2014.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just reinstalled RadeonPro, not been using it for a while.

Got a little issue I need clearing up.

Why does it not run in 64bit mode, I have it set to run at startup and minimized.

It will load up at startup and be minimized, but I always get message saying "RadeonPro Helper Services could not do blah blah nothing to see here exiting" and I have to click exit.

The program stays opened but it is only in 32bit mode as it stats in the bottom right hand corner and I have to click that to load up 32bit/64bit mode.

I DONT have disable 64bit mode ticked in settings just to clear that up.

So anyway to make it start up in 32bit/64bit mode and anyway to get rid of that annoying message at start?

Cheers.

2. Daemonjax

Daemonjax Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 4070ti super
    No, not really, unless you get lucky and it just works for you.

The author has stated that the work-around is to just turn on 64bit mode by clicking on the bottom right as needed and then disable it when done before shutting down/rebooting.

Basically, the exact opposite of the way you're doing it now.

3. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    RadeonPro gives me the same message when I start it in 64-bits mode. Indeed, do it like Daemon suggested.

4. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    Heres another workaround that doesnt require any clicks.

1. Disable "start minimized"
    2. Disable "start with Windows"
    3. Download the command line program nircmd.exe
    4. Make a windows batch file like this:

Code:
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\RadeonPro"
    start RadeonPro.exe

timeout 5 

cd "C:\" 
    nircmd.exe win close ititle "1.1.1.0"
    Nircmd will close the window after 5 seconds. This way the 64bit module gets enough time to start.

Then save the above code as a .bat file and make a shortcut to it so you can set it to run minimized, then run the shortcut on windows startup (start-all programs-startup).

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is the script for me in Win8, I couldn't make it work otherwise.

Code:
    cd /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\RadeonPro"
    start RadeonPro.exe
    timeout 5
    nircmd.exe win close ititle "1.1.1.0"
    exit
    Also, to make it work you need to download the NirCMD for 32bit or 64bit.

Make a folder for it in, and add that folder to your Path system variable, in System Properties ---> Advanced ---> Environmental Variables ---> Path.

The values in "Path" are separated with the ";" symbol and no spaces. For example, I downloaded the 64bit version, and I created a Nir folder in C:\Program Files.

In the Path variable at the end I added:

6. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Alternatively you could use VBScript. VBS should work out of the box and doesn't require downloading anything.

Just create a text file and replace '.txt' with '.vbs'.

Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
    WshShell.Run("""C:\Program Files (x86)\RadeonPro\RadeonPro.exe"", 1, true")

WScript.Sleep 20000

WindowTitle = "RadeonPro - Radeon Profiles Tool 1.1.1.0. For updates visit www.radeonpro.info"
    set shell = createobject("wscript.shell") 
    success = shell.appactivate(WindowTitle) 
    if success then shell.sendkeys "%{F4}" 
    You can try putting it into the Autostart folder but I've only managed to make the script work properly by using Windows Task Scheduler to launch it.

7. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    I created that vbs script teleguy and it runs if I double-click on it but if I create a basic task to run it and try running that task, it asks me what program I want to use to open it.

Any idea what I've done wrong?

8. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Try importing this task.
    http://www.speedyshare.com/bxqtE/RP.zip

You'll have to adjust some things like user name, script location etc.

Edit: Try rightclicking on the vbs file, select "open with" and make sure "Microsoft Windows Based Script Host" (wscript.exe) is the default program.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  9. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    Thanks mate. I don't even get that option with "open with" but I can "select another program" and browse to C:\Windows\System32 and select wscript.exe.

I'm a bit concerned that it doesn't offer it as a choice though if it's meant to. Oh and even if I select that, it doesn't seem to do anything, nor remember my selection and asks me again next time, still without that as one of the choices.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  10. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    OK, I've got vbs associated with wscript.exe now but when I run the vbs, I get an error "Can't load AppProfiles.dll at RadeonPro.NativeMethods.LoadDLL(String installPath, Int32 pid) at ¦ . 0"

I get the same error if I try and run RP directly but it works if I Run as Admin but although it loads, it says RP can't be run with elevated privileges and won't be able to save, etc.

I guess there's some permissions issue as I get an error when right-clicking a file and selecting Edit with Notepad++ "Notepadd+ Extension: Error ShellExecute failed (2)" but if I use Open With it opens fine.

Acutally, I just fixed that problem by removing Run as Admin from the Compatibility settings for Notepad++.

I'm actually running in an Admin account, with the UAC slider all the way to the bottom and LUA completely disabled via Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA=0, as I did in my old Win 8.1 install, so I don't know why I'm having problems with this fresh install. Hmm, just checked and that registry key has reset to =1, so I'll try changing it again and rebooting.

11. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    OK that helped. Now RP and Notepad++ load fine without having to Run as Admin.

The vbs script also starts RP if I run it manually but if I try and run the Task it prompts me for the application to use everytime and then doesn't do anything. If I select Notepad instead of wscript.exe, it says "Cannot find C:\Program.txt file"

Under Actions it's set to Run a Program and "C:\Program Files (x86)\RadeonPro\RadeonPro.vbs" but I noticed the Start in box was empty, so I put "C:\Program Files (x86)\RadeonPro\" and now it doesn't prompt me when I run it but it still doesn't do anything.

The history shows:

and if I clear the Start in box and select wscript when it prompts me it just shows:

OK, so I wondered if it just didn't like the spaces in the path for some reason, so I moved the VBS to C:\Tools and now the task runs fine without anything in the Start in box :)

I then checked some other tasks which run stuff in "C:\Program Files (x86)" and do work and noticed they have C:\Program Files (x86) i.e. without any quotes, in the Start in box, so tried doing that for the vbs script back in the original Radeon Pro folder but it still doesn't work, so there seems to be something specific about this that doesn't tolerate spaces in the path.

12. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    It's a shame the author abandoned Radeon Pro to work at Raptr, whose app is a joke compared to Radeon Pro itself and GeForce Experience. (I had GTX 760 before R9 290)

My only uses for Radeon Pro are forcing 144 hz refresh rate and also injecting an outdated version of SMAA for some games. Are there're more "contemporary" ways to these ends, anyone?

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Its not abandoned, just halted development.

He has said he'd fix things if new drivers broke RP.

I hate to be captain obvious, but im willing to be his work on RP got him the job at Raptr.

14. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    It appears mediocrity is contagious. On Raptr forum, some dudes have complained it had been going down hill since AMD took over.

RP master joining Raptr team also didn't help the app incorporate dare I say any RP functions.

Apples to apples, AMD-backed software suite is still no match for Nvidia.