nvidia control panel confusing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sajibjoarder, Jun 10, 2016.

1. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    bought a 1080 today. using a nvidia card after so long time. after getting into the nvidia control panel i can see everything is switched off like ambient occlusion and many other settings..

[​IMG]

2. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    that's all perfectly normal.

Most of those features are best changed in specific game profiles, as they require custom bits to even function.

The only thing I'd suggest ever touching on the global profile is DSR, power management, shader cache, the 4 texture filtering settings, and multi display/mixed gpu acceleration.

to clarify, the default settings are the most compatible ones. they won't cause issues in games and don't rely on game specific driver profiles.

I suggest reading up the tweakguides basic nvidia cpanel guide, as well as looking into our NV inspector sticky to familiarize yourself with the nv side of things.

Also, the AA and HBAO stickies if you plan on using those features. In most newer games though, control panel AA is non functional anyways, as dx11 doesn't have the same flexibility with AA that the good old dx9 did.

and congrats on the 1080. :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yeah congrats, I gotta wait at least another 6 months before I can get mine.I hate you guys sometimes haha. Thats ok my old Gtx 780 is getting me by just fine.

I find Nvidia control panel very easy to use actually.Never once have I had any problems with it.

4. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    thanks for the replay people. GanjaStar i wanted to know if they are switched off in the control panel how can they work in my games.. im confused.

nz3777 dude i know about this nvidia control panel but i had a 480 card. but after that i was always with amd. at that time they used to keep these on.

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    you are looking at the global profile. everything there is turned off because each game needs specific driver code and settings for most of these features to work, and by setting them to on in the global profile, it affects every single GPU accelerated application in your system.

that's why I said look at the Anti aliasing and HBAO+ sticky threads.

they will provide info on which games are able to use these features and how to use them.

for overall nvidia cpanel usage, a good beginner guide with a lot of detailed info is here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The Nvidia control panel gets the job done, but it does look a bit outdated.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That AO doesn't disable ingame AO, its a custom HABO+ driver feature that usually works/affects games that don't have any AO or weak quality, eg older SSAO, its like a enhacement tool.

Same with MFAA, it enhances MSAA and speeds up rendering,

But both features are a bit buggy, AO can flicker, MFAA can cause shadow or rendering glitches..

And like Ganja Star said, don't use much in global profile, adjust only in Program "game" profiles tab

I usually select only Image Quality to h.quality, DSR/ smoothing lower ~ 16-19%, single display mode, rest as it is.. Then change the rest per game profile (AF, TransparencyAA, AO, AA, MFAA, threaded opt., frames to render, etc) with nvinspector - very handy tool.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    You don't HAVE to play with any of those settings. Profiles are pretty "plug and play", you can just leave them be and then change only the in-game settings.

Personally I only mess with the NVCP if I wanna use DSR or some game has issues with v-sync or whatever.

9. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    This is all I change in mine.

[​IMG]

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't change anything in a global profile, leave defaults (change the texture filtering quality to high quality if you want a little bit less shimmering in general).

"Off" means that some driver override is disabled. Has no effect on games ability to still use the same effect in their engines. AO and pretty much everything else is better to tune on a per app basis anyway since some of these options are working only in a limited number of games.

Lowering prerendered frames can limit your lag with vsync but may result in lower fps in general.
    Single/Multi display performance mode have no general effect on performance.
    Max performance is only beneficial in a handful of games compared to default adaptive/optimal.

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Actually "Let the application decide" means that some driver override is disabled. "Off" does mean it will override to turning whatever it is to off, even in the global profile. Though, you will notice that the options set to off by default are things that do not effect the application and are extra special settings.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  12. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Exactly..Turning V-sync off in the NVCP for example will disable vsync even if it's enable in the game itself.

13. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    thanks people for the replay. im not a nob. i know about the in game profile. but in amd control panel everything is switched on or application controlled that why i got confused. i used a 480 but thats years ago after that i didnt use a single nvidia card..

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    [​IMG]

15. Soliver84

Soliver84 Member

GPU:
    32GB Corsair
    Take the driver once again strikes and use DDU then you have it again;)

16. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TO be honest, i welcome a GUI change from NVIDIA there gforce experiance is far better, why the hell cant they build a drivers theme around there experiance GPU.....

there card gui is so so so ANCIENT and looks old as hell.