XFX 9800GX2 Temperatures Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dark-Zomby, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dark-Zomby

Dark-Zomby Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 GX2 1GB
    Sorry for my english.

First of all my system:

Windows Vista Ultimate x64-bits
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.00GH'z
    XFX 9800 GX2 at 640MH'z ( Core ) no overclocked
    6.00GB DDR2 Ram 800MH'z

A few days ago my graphics card reaches when i was playing games 115ºC, And i was getting only 7,300 GPU points on the 3D Mark Vantage. The guys of NVidia forum recommended me to change the case and the power supply, I buyed the Antec Nine Hundred Two and the Corsair TX850W, and then i get 10,500 GPU Points and only 80ºC at full gaming and 60-65 idle ( with all fans of the case, CPU and graphics card at 100% ), but ONLY on CRYSIS ( i think only ) when i play with 0xAA Very High and 1680x1050 i get more than 100ºC and the performance low a lot, what the cause? can you all help me? Please.
    My room is on 28-29ºC, i think is hot, but playing games like The Sims 3 or Prototype at maximum settings the temperature are normal.
    And when i play crysis and the temperatures ups the temperatures up and low everytime to 20 and 40ºC, again and again...
    Thanks again :)

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Crysis pushes your GPU more than other games do. It's the same for everyone. Hence, temperatures are higher than when playing other games.

Besides that, Crysis is a very demanding game and still brings the most powerful current systems to their knees.

100C is very hot, but I reached those temperatures in Crysis with my old 8800GTs sometimes, too. You could try to clean your card with a can of compressed air to get rid of dust inside of it, or you could also reapply some thermal paste on the chip itself.

3. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    Yeah id suggest giving the card a clean, my old 7950GX2 would reach over 110c easy if it was pretty dusty (but also to its very $hit HSF). Give it a clean and stick some decent thermal paste on the chip. That should help lower overall temps.