RX 480 XFX vs MSI OC

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Shadows, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Shadows

Shadows Guest

GPU:
    Gefore 210 1 gb
    I was curious about which AIB partner card is better for overclocking, xfx or msi and for xfx will I see a huge difference in oc if I spend the extra cash to buy the black edition?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

No need for large text :). Are your system specs accurate? They're unsuitable for either option. Bare minimum you need a new PSU, but also any less than 8 GB of RAM would be a no go. Your CPU would also be limiting it the game is CPU intensive.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    godamnit son go for that xfx

(And post your complete system specs properly before you do so).

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'd go for the XFX as well... oh wait I did :). I went for the 4 GB version since it was cheaper, I don't game above 1920x1080, and the memory efficiency is better than it used to be.

Honestly though you need to pair suitable hardware so not to induce a bottleneck. You also need a decent power supply and absolutely most definitely more than 400 W. It's also not worth getting an unbranded one to save cost.

So at the very absolute least you need a new PSU, and possibly more RAM, and even then your CPU will be holding it back from its true potential. It would be a complete waste going for the black edition unless you plan to do a full upgrade.

Actually, such is your system that if you aren't planning on doing anything else the only suitable card would be the RX 460. It would be more friendly to the PSU (but cheap PSU's can blow on a whim), and not be bottlenecked so much since it's much slower than the RX 480. You would probably see less of a detriment of performance of a RX 460 over a RX 480 than benchmarks would show simply because the rest of the system is such a limiting factor. That said, even the RX 460 would only be suitable if you have 8 GB or more RAM. Games that can make use of a RX 480 etc really need 16 GB of RAM to shine (although 8 GB will do in most cases).

Then of course, you have to consider you need to be using a 64-bit version of Windows to make use of the extra hardware and RAM etc., and also because modern games are now 64-bit.

5. Shadows

Shadows Guest

GPU:
    Gefore 210 1 gb
    I am going for a whole new pc build but those are my current specs. My new one will be a i5 7600k or zen equivalent, 850 watt psu, and windows 10 64 bit. Also thanks :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Ah ok. My suggestion would therefore be to wait until you are ready to purchase the rest of the items. Since you want Kaby or Zen, it will probably mean early next year or thereabouts.