low GPU usage on 2 way SLI GTX 770 Jetsteam

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by xynxyn, Apr 20, 2015.

1. xynxyn

xynxyn Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hi guys,
    just testing out SLI for the 770 Jetstream and I'm wondering how does guru always achieve this insane scaling of 90%+ in SLI listed in their reviews?

No matter what I'm trying I never achieve the performance boost I want.

1st test envoirment:
    Win 7 64Bit SP1
    ASUS ROG Maximus VII
    Corsair AXi760
    i5 4770K @ 3.8Ghz
    4x4GB Gskill DDR3 Sniper @2133Mhz
    2nd test envoirment:
    Win 7 64Bit SP1
    ASUS Z97-A
    Corsair AXi760
    2x4GB Gskill DDR3 Sniper @2133Mhz
    i7 devil's canyon @ 4 Ghz

Looked up the usage of CPU,VRAM and GPU on Afterburner with OSD live, and neither CPU is ever really stressed out. VRAM isn't filled up and GPUs are mostly used to 50-70%.

I only have 2 games (the ones i need the performance for) and those are rFactor 2 and GTA 5. The only time I got high GPU usage for both cards is on GTA 5 in 2D with Downsampling on Ultra settings... but it's a nonsense setting with unplayable stutters but the only one where I get 90% performance boost over a single GPU

As soon as I try out 3D Vision and other stuff they always underperform.
    Funny thing I noticed in GTA5 while playing in 3D Vision... Went by accident into windowed mode and GPU usage went from ~70% to 95% with an incredible FPS boost. what the heck is this?

I'd be very grateful for some advice here as I'm going insane about this matter and testing and researching non stop for 3 straight days. Oh, and CPUs are unparked, just in case.

thanks!

2. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Have you by chance tried a different SLI Bridge??

I had an issue with crappy utilization and it ended up to be a bad SLI bridge. I replaced that and my utilization was back to normal on both cards.

Also no way possible you can run GTA5 on Ultra with DSR on 770 SLI setup.. I have GTX 780Ti cards in SLI and I had to settle for most everything on Very High with 4xTXAA to keep at 60fps with Vsync. I tried doing DSR first but ran slower using MSAA.

Might want to try something like 3DMark Firestrike and see if it maxes out both cards... use an overlay like in MSI Afterburner so you can monitor GPU usage. If that doesn't hit over 95% on both cards you likely have something faulty. Either the SLI bridge or maybe one bad GPU.

3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Old thread but couldn't resist..maybe few users have same question till today..

SLI usage on 3D with this game is not good(not good usage as you said,it drops compared to 2D),
    playing with all settings max(just MSAAx2 and not advanced settings tweaked/on),tested with many different settings and no matter what it's always lower usage than 2D.
    Nothing to do with hardware,game engine's fault when rendered on 3D (not good for native support...)

3D works only on fullscreen mode..not in window(OP perf boost was due to 3D disabled when went to window mode).

I don't really know who's fault is, Nvidia's or R* (I assume R* has nothing to do with this as it's all about driver coding..)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  4. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i get pretty good scaling on my cards... night and day difference

GTAV i run and ultra/v.high for a constant 60fps maybe dips to 55fps(lowest)