Report: Microsoft is looking to buy Minecraft studio for $2 billion

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Extraordinary, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Report: Microsoft is looking to buy Minecraft studio for $2 billion

[​IMG]

A new report from The Wall Street Journal suggests Microsoft could be looking to buy indie game studio Mojang, creators of the cult smash hit Minecraft. It’s a deal said to be worth $2 billion and while not directly Android related, Minecraft was ported to Android devices a few years back where it has since garnered between 5 – 10 million downloads.

The deal could close as early as this week and leaves us wondering about the fate of Minecraft on Android if it suddenly becomes a Microsoft property. Mojang has yet to confirm anything with press, although we imagine it wont be long before we hear something one way or the other. Mojang founder Markkus Persson has been very vocal in the past about taking money from big corporations like Microsoft, choosing instead to invest their sizable profits ($100 million last year alone) in oddball indie titles instead.

Source:
    http://phandroid.com/2014/09/09/report-microsoft-is-looking-to-buy-minecraft-for-2-billion/

2. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Think of how many "cool" fedoras he could buy....

3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    when pigs fly.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They'll be severely overpaying for that one hit wonder.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    2D tiles failed on Win 8.x, now we know what Win 9's UI will look like, 3D Blocks

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol, Win9's first boot will be taking the pick axe and breaking the damn tiles down to reveal the Windows 7 desktop :p

7. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    http://www.wired.com/2014/09/microsoft-minecraft/

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Considering they released Office for iPad and allow games to be released on Steam, they'd have nothing to worry about unless it's a Playstation we're talking about.

9. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Probably going to push for a sequel to cash in on it.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Hold on a second....

*does some maths*

maybe I am wrong here but how exactly would Microsoft recoup the investment?

Minecraft has sold 50 odd million across all platforms, even at $40 a pop they would only break even if everyone who already owns Minecraft went ahead and bought it again. Surely anyone who wants Minecraft has already bought it I am no finance wizard but surely 2billion for, want of a better description, a one hit wonder game developer is really just a p*ss take, especially given that MS has spent the last few years destroying it's own gaming departments.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They're buying the studio, not just the game, must have other things in mind for it

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    To rip it's soul out, crush their wills, grind their bones into dust, and wring every last cent they can before scrapping the studio.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Or... To help create the perfect Minecraft for the Oculus Rift since the current dev/owner dropped support after the FB / Oculus thing

I heard that MS donated their @Messenger twitter tag to FB recently too....

Donated?

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I'm not even sure why Minecraft is so popular, they'll lose money just like they did with WebTV

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Dunno, but I know what you mean, before I played it, Id seen other people playing and watched videos and never thought much of it, but once I started playing it myself, there's something pretty addictive about it

I think maybe the whole creative side of it, combined with having to create something to protect you from the evil ones at night

When I get bored I stick it on, and next thing I know its like 3 hours later and Ive built some ridiculously huge mansion or something

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Just like they did with Rare.

Vanilla Minecraft on single player gets old quick. But multiplayer with a texture pack and some mods keeps it fresh. It's all blocks mostly, sure, but there's little limit to what you can build:

I don't think Microsoft will "get" what made it so popular, even if the Mojang employees are still the ones working on it. Hell, Mojang isn't even what keeps it going, it's entirely the third party mods. And there's already plenty of issues (I think they still lack a mod api for instance).

People are either going to stick with older, pre Microsoft, versions or maybe even finally just go full open source- just like what it was even originally based of, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zachary_Barth#Infiniminer

The only ones that are going to play any Microsoft Minecraft are the Let's Players that are making a killing in ad money from their thousand "episode" series. And maybe the few kids with an Xbox. I just don't see this being a smart buy for Microsoft.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  17. ElFishoIII

ElFishoIII Guest

In a word?

Kids

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lol yeah. :D

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru