First new build in ages.. Need your advice/help on this new one!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Atari, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Atari

Atari Active Member

GPU:
    8800gts 320mb
    Hi Guys,

So, bad horrible news gentlemen/ladies. My computer is starting to really struggle. I've just had an HDD fail yesterday and the noises coming from the ol' gal is not sounding too healthy these days. It's a q9450 @ 3.2ghz / 4gb ddr2 ram / 260gtx. The only thing I've upgraded on this computer was the chip. It used to be a core2duo. Yeah.... pretty ancient, but it's been such an awesome computer though. I'm thinking now is the time to upgrade to a Haswell-E.

I work in Maya/Max a bunch(animation) and Adobe PS/Premiere and maybe a little Corel Painter on the side. I do play games as well. Saying that, it's work first and games second, but games is also apart of my work so it's important too. I'm trying to save what I can on a completely new build, but I do want a pretty powerful computer if possible.

5820k - 6 core
    MSI X99S Gaming 7 - cheaper board than the 9 series. I'm hoping it's okay? I don't need wifi etc. Just a nice fast cheap board.
    16gb or 32gb DDR4 (dunno what speed/brand) - I dunno if I can stretch the budget to allow 32gb, but I honestly think I may need it.

Plextor M6e PX-G512M6e M.2 2280 512GB - This will be the boot/program drive.And is $$$$ maybe I should just do a samsung III ssd? I thought this would be a great upgrade though.I'm trying to see if M.2's are more reliable and if that's worth the extra cost.

1TB HDD WD - This will be where all the data will go. Just a standard drive.

Nvidia 980gtx - $500 max budget, but I hear it will be around this price I hope when available in the coming weeks. Maybe move to a 970 instead and save $100?

Corsair Power supply 750w - should be enough. I won't EVER SLI.

CPU cooler? I'm not sure with this chip. Rather not water cool it since my data is precious to me and I wouldn't want to take the chance of a leak. Yes I will overclock! Any recommendations here?

Any comments on this build would be a huge, HUGE help. Anywhere I can save money and still keep the performance up to the same level would be awesome. I was shopping for everything on newegg and the setup above came out to.... well..... pretty pricey. Like over $2600.00. I can do it, but yikes I'd like to get it down further. I'm up in the SanFran area so no microcenter :/. Unless it's worth a 6hr drive to go there. The tax on this machine will be eye-watering sigh.....

Cheers!

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Looks like a solid build to me. You will notice a huge increase in performance. Well any of the Noctua coolers looks like a good choice to me.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  3. Atari

Atari Active Member

GPU:
    8800gts 320mb
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I guess i'm stuck on whether to go M.2 or just a good SSDIII option. I don't know if M.2 is more reliable then SSD or if it's the same, only a little faster. I hear people talking about how they notice very little difference going M.2. It's almost twice the price right now going the M.2 route.