I´m addicted to being a guru.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by StewieTech, Apr 14, 2015.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Well, i´m 25 y.o. and have been messing with computers for the past 15 years. Right now i´m in a not so great financial position and told to myself to give a break from my pc, yet the only thing i think about in my free time is upgrading my pc. Damn components look almost erotic and i dream of a perfect build. I´m past the returning point, i will be build computers for the rest of my life. Anyone relates?

2. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Yeah I am in the same spot more of less. I never upgrade as much as I would like to otherwise I would be so broke and living out of my car. But I do intend to continue to build and work on PC's (I am also a computer tech so its not just a hobby) for as long as humanly possible.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Look on the bright side, your rig can still run most things with reasonable performance... assuming you use 1080p.

Personally I always disable certain settings anyway because I don't like them which saves me some GPU power. I don't like motion blur, depth blur, and I don't care for some SSAO effects depending on the game. In games like Tomb Raider it makes a huge difference in the lighting, in others not so much so I just disable it if there is any chance of dropping frames. I'm sure there was something else I'm forgetting.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I know how you feel. Hopefully next year will be when I get a new build.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I know how you feel. I have been itching to buy a new GPU and G-Sync monitor for the past few months now. I know if I do my GF will yell at me for spending so much money. Sometimes you have to let real-life take priority.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have no such addiction. In fact, I'm getting ready to "downgrade" here soon.

7. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    My heart breaks for you.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why's that?

9. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Just hearing "downgrade" I had to do that before and it pulls on my heart strings for you and your computer.

But in all seriousness when I had to downgrade I was going through some uh real stuff and maintaining a PC was was at the very end of my list.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My "downgrade" is a choice, actually. I'm not forced to do it in any way. I'm actually losing interest in the hardware that I have.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    When you do, please give me your GTX 970. My GTX 580 is old and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, at this time, I'm unable to afford anything better...

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Nope. There was a time. Not anymore I got other priorities, I upgrade my pc at times for sure. But that isn't the thing anymore. I read up on tech I learn about tech but I don't buy it ...

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Actually, I've come to think that's the right thing to do anyway. Building a rig, and then not caring about what is released afterwards means you don't know what is around and what will come around, thus making a 're-entry' difficult if you happen to build your next rig a few years later.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Already *downgraded*. I don't have time to play anymore, so the GPU was just sitting there sucking power.

Probably going to get rid of the desktop and move over to an external NAS instead for storage. My i5 Haswell laptop already does everything I need, my computer is basically just another screen and large storage that sucks down between 70-130w (even with the GPU removed).

Probably going to move over to OSX when I save up enough for a Macbook. Say what you will, but it's a sweet productivity system with an entire ecosystem behind it. Already ordered an Airport Extreme router, and probably will get an Apple TV so I can second screen and just in general. Everything else is going into the cloud.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I would love to upgrade my rig now but there are so many things that I want first, and think they are more fun than just cutting a few seconds off my booting/loading times, I've been upgrading my entire hq with smart locks and lights and I feel kind of addicted to it

16. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Building PC, overclocking, tweaking and so on was my passion for a lot of years. Now I just lost interest in it, mainly because of my job. When you mess around with PCs and software all day long, you’re king of burned out at the end of the day. When I have to mess with my PC at home I feel sick. And as you can see it is very old, but I don’t have the need to do anything about it.

That said I’ve found a new passion to waste my money on – peripherals. I like buying a new toy once in a while. A wireless headset, a FFB wheel, a sound bar system or my beloved Obutto Ozone station.

So yeah I feel you, just in a different kind of way. Have fun!

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The shipping would make it less than cost effective.

I'm actually considering buying a MacBook for the wife and a Mac Mini for me down the road. The wife's laptop is nearing the end of it's life and needs to be replaced anyway.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With me the rig that I have right now is probably going to be the last one that I build myself because it is too nerve racking compared to 10-20 years ago. Yeah I will be doing minor upgrades to my rig such as RAM and maybe new GPU down the road. But after another 4-5 years passes me by I may go for one of them prebuilt computers that is all ready done. Yeah there are stuff that I want to do to my rig but I just cant afford it so I can relate to what you are saying. Plus there are other things that I am saving up for such as more controllers for my PS4.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I haven't lost interest in building. There's just nothing coming that really interests me anymore. These days, I get more excited over entry-level hardware than I do high-end. Sadly, I prefer my Athlon 5350+R7 240 system over what's in my specs. Sure, it's considerably slower and struggles to run any game (including Solitaire) but it will run Linux with no issues at all, unlike the system in my specs.

Sadly, I don't even want to deal with Windows anymore.....

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I am nowhere near as exited about PCs as I used to be, I put that down to age, but also that not a lot has changed with Windows the last few releases, 98>xp huge, xp>vista huge vista>7 huge because vista was broken, 7>8 huge because of metro, now it's just more of the same

I used to reinstall my entire OS with leaks even if only one icon was changed, now it's VM for 5 mins and get bored