Getting a new TV, need some advice about size/ppi.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by signex, Jan 22, 2017.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    So i have 1k to spend on a new ultra hd TV, i could go for 60inch but i'm afraid the picture quality goes down because of the size.

We are about 5ft away from our current television, it's a 48" 4K TV.
    We want a new one cause this one is horrible, has backlight issues like clouding/black corners.

And it has bad OS, very old and has no app store on it so it's limited to a few apps like netflix, youtube and facebook and some other crap we don't use.

LG 60UH615V cought my eye, it's right on my budget, and the LG 55UH770V (because of Dolby Vision support).

How worse will a 4K picture look compared to a 48" 4K TV? 55 or even 60inch is quiet larger i imagine wich results in much lesser PPI.

2. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I bought an LG 60UH7700 a few months back. I'm very pleased with its quality, and it supports both HDR formats though I haven't seen any actual HDD programming on it yet.
    It was $1199 when I bought it. Its probably overkill for a 5-foot viewing distance, though.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Lower end LG's are crap same with Samsung. If you want sub 1K I would look at Vizio or Sony. If you plan to use a PS4 Pro on it the Sony TV's have really good input lag with HDR enabled. Vizio's are just really good all around TV's with outstanding picture quality for the price of admission.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Just found out about LG's scam with their cheaper 4K TV's that only have 2880x2160.

We're going with the Samsung 55KU6000, has extremely good reviews and replicates 10bit quiet good.

Excellent input lag with HDR enabled.

If it doesn't sell out quick though cause theres a sale this thursday with 21% off television etc.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just be aware jutter is very noticeable on the 6000 when playing back 24Hz AKA bluray.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Do you mean 2880x1620?

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The Panasonic OLED new range unveiled at CES earlier this month is beyond incredible.

UK Link: http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4KTV/tx-65ez1002b.specs.html

Release date not known, probably spring, price not known - but I'm throwing it out there as all other televisions look about ten years old compared to this...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-65z1002-oled-tv-first-look-review

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-65ez1002/review

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/new...nasonic-unveils-ez1002-ultra-hd-oled-tv/24624

Typically, Panasonic release their big tv, and then the baby ones with the same tech, so a more living-room friendly version is no doubt at their factory being finalised.

Everything about this tv (and it's younger siblings when they are born) will change the consumer OLED market. Panasonic will no doubt still maintain a less impressive, but still decent, LCD with HDR, local dimming etc for some time due to manufacturing lines already present, but this is where their money is going, whilst other manufacturers are lagging behind on OLED.

As far as I can tell, Panasonic did NOT release or announce any new LCD televisions at CES. :peeleft:

8. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    All tv os sucks one way or another. Just buy a chromecast and invest the money in the best picture.

9. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    SONY SONY SONY.

I've had two lower end Samsung 4k TV's. One was a 55" Curved 4k and now I have a 70" 4k which is a 6000 series. The 6000 series is complete **** that shouldn't even be sold.

Truthfully my next purchase will be a Sony and only Sony from then on. Samsungs Tizen OS is slow and laggy, hell Netflix craps out sometimes. Sony and the Android TV my buddy has is super smooth most of the time and it's Android which makes it even cooler.

Just my 2 cents... Sony is usually a little more money, but generally i'd say worth it! Good Luck!

10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Sony has lost some of its superiority in features and performance since the "Golden Years" but I still might choose it for my next TV (my recent one has been unproblematic for 12 years so far...).

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Definetly, my Sony 32inch CRT was an amazing TV, but the move to HD and LCD produced many mediocre, and over priced TV's
    These days though, Sony is actually the better bet when it comes to budget TV's.

If you are going high end then LG, then Samsung.
    I've heard good things about Panasonic, but no first hand experience though.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Just came back with the 55KU6000, only the show model was left they sold 40 of them in 1 day lol.

This TV is amazing, the judder is there but only when watching HD from our cable box.
    Netflix is smooth and clear without any judder when watching 4K and HD content.

No wonder this TV sells like hot cakes, it truly is a beauty!

I initially wanted a Sony TV but it was way more expensive, the 55XD8005 costs 140 euro more wich is out of my range.

13. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Should maybe get the UE55KS8000 (US) UE55KS7000 (EU) for 1k i think. Should have a 10bit panel. Got myself UE65KS8000 and love it!

For whatever you do, don't go for the LG 60UH615V. They kinda fake "4K" resolution. The LG uses a RGBW LCD panel. Read about it here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-rgb-vs-rgbw-lcd-4k-ultra-hd-designation.html TLDR: It means that every 4th sub-pixel is a white sub-pixel and is shared between the adjacent pixels. That means the panel can't do full 4K in colors, but more greyish.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    My budget got cut, so it was either this Samsung or the LG, and yea i found out about their fake 4K wich is why i chased this TV 55KU6000.

I just saw a youtube HDR 4K test, and holy moly, the colors popped like no tomorrow, what an amazing picture.
    But i hear this TV should display a message when HDR is being used wich i didn't saw?

But i saw a massive difference in colors, it was so much more realistic.

Honestly i'm very pleased with this 8bit panel, and this TV was next to a super expensive OLED TV and the difference wasn't huge except the blacks where pitch perfect.

Also glad to see this TV does have direct led instead of edge lit, theres zero uniformity in the panel it's all evenly balanced.

Only the smaller versions have edge lit.

15. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Okey, good :)
    The KS8000 is edge-lit, but i won the lottery with slim to zero edge bleed so pretty happy with that:D

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Wich size? i think that matters too, as i read bigger tv's suffer the most of that.

I doubt mine is better in that regard, KS8000 is one of their top of the line tv's.

I did notice the led's of the Panasonic behind the panel, 6 of them in the middle of the screen. I think it's called clouding?

This samsung has none of these issues, there are no visible glowing spots on the screen with a dark image.
    But it has local dimming wich deals with this issue right?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Best bet for true budget is Vizio, a M-series with a chrome cast is the best bang for the buck possible. But with that said I love my Sony 65X850C.

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Vizio isn't available in Holland, and importing seems too much hassle and time.

Eitherway, i'm extremely blown away by the Samsung 55KU6000 and it has 19ms input lag + HDR in Gaming Mode.

19. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    UE65KS8000 (65").
    Yes, edge bleed and clouding which i was lucky have slim to non of, but yes, smart led and local dimming should reduce it, but I have most of image processing options turned off and still can't notice it.

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Also the reason i had to get this TV was this: http://prntscr.com/e102ap

It actually passes a 10bit color test, so it will look close to HDR Premium?
    Is it normal that my TV doesn't show a message when HDR is active?

Theres a HDR+ setting but that's fake HDR as far as i found online.