Trying to learn AB, need some help!

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Croweater, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Croweater

Croweater Guest

Sapphire R9 390X Nitro
    I7 6700k OC 4.8 on water
    16gb ddr4 3000mhz
    ASUS Z170 Deluxe
    750W PSU, gold rated

Hi guys,

I'm trying to learn how to OC a GPU, and I'm having some issues. I need some advice. When I try to apply ANY settings changes, or even no settings changes with AB, I get crashes. I tried leaving the card stock, saving a profile with no changes whatsoever, but trying to load even a stock settings profile causes a crash every time.

I read that AB was the easiest software to use for OC, and that I can use it even with a non-MSI card. When I change the options to allow voltage control, I see that, by default, my voltage says its at +19, instead of 0. It was like that by default after I installed AB, I did not make any changes. Is that normal?

I read up on how to OC, sounds simple enough, find limits on core clock, hit wall, bump voltage, test temps, rinse repeat. I've been doing basic overclocks on cpus for years. I'm by no means an overclock expert, probably between novice and amateur, but I take my time and follow instructions, and I've never destroyed anything. My stock temps show I have some heat overhead, and fan noise is no problem for me, so I want to go as high as a can. Problem is, I can't make ANY changes without crashing. Even just changing the fan from auto causes a crash if I save a profile and then try to run the profile. I can change the fan settings to max, and hit apply, and my fan speed will increase, and temps will drop. I can even bump the core clock up a very small amount, and when I apply it, I can run a stable 50MHz OC with no voltage. I can benchmark with those settings and see a marginal score improvement, as long as I don't save it to a profile and try to load it. After 50MHz, I get some light artifacting, which I understand to mean I need some more power. I discovered the problem when I tried to save a base profile with nothing but the fan unlocked. I turned the fan auto off, and cranked it up to 100. Apply. Fine. I then clicked "save" to save the profile, and selected 1. Fine. But when I try to load 1, instant severe artifacting, followed most of the time by black screen. I even tried to make a profile with no changes whatsoever, not even fan speed, and the same problem occurs. I thought that maybe my cpu OC might be causing the issues, or maybe my PSU was being over-taxed, so I restored defaults in BIOS, and tried again. Same problem, can't even load a stock profile.

Another interesting thing that I don't understand at all is that after I get the artifacting, even after I reboot, I still see artifacting for a little while after the reboot. It's as if the problem has to "wear off," sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds of piddling around on the desktop or surfing for the artifacts to stop. But when they stop, they don't come back until I try to load another profile in AB. That baffles me.

So, if you guys have any advice or suggestions, or if I've forgotten a crucial step, please help me out. I thank you for your time. If you think AB just isn't going to work with my card, can you recommend an alternate software that's easy to use?

Thanks guys.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    First make sure this setting (circled in red) is ticked/enabled:

[​IMG]

AMD Crimson drivers will always save any settings after applying, even from 3rd party tools like AB, potentially causing problems.

It could also be a good idea to un- and reinstall AB. Make sure you're using the newest 4.3.0 version.

Do you mean the artefacts are visible even at desktop? If so could be faulty hardware.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  3. Croweater

Croweater Guest

Thanks for the advice AsiJu,

Those options were checked by default. I've uninstalled and reinstalled AB twice, using the newest version. I can make changes and "apply" them with no problems. It's when I save and then load a profile that things go wrong, even if I save the default profile, with no changes at all, and try to load it. It's not like regular artifacts I've experienced. It looks like the screen is flickering or tearing in a horizontal line from the left side to the right, but in many places all up and down the screen. When I reboot, it takes a while for it to stop happening. But since I've stopped trying to use AB, it hasn't happened again, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. My system runs fine when I don't try to use AB.