Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Processors and motherboards AMD
Processors and motherboards AMD Got a Phenom, FX or AMD APU based system or the means to buy one? You can discuss it in here!

Old
  (#601)
chispy
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX1070@ 2126/2300Mhz-H2O
Processor: AMD R7 1700x@ 4200Mhz-H2O
Mainboard: Asus CH VI Hero x370 AM4
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3200Ghz 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: eVGA Supernova G2-1300w
Thumbs up Today, 16:28 | posts: 7,590 | Location: In Paradise :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embra View Post
Just picked up a 1700x from Newegg with a $30 off promocode. MSI x370 Pro Carbon to go with it. Just need to decide on memory.
Please make sure you buy Samsung B-die single rank memory and not Hynix dual rank , Hynix memory it's very problematic due to been dual sided dual rank memory. Enjoy your new rig and post , share your results and findings here . I hope you get a good 1700x , let us know.

Regards: chispy

Old
  (#602)
Embra
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Nitro Fury OC
Processor: AMD FX 8320@4.5
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth 990X
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 gb
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair RMx 850
Default Today, 16:58 | posts: 258

Thanks for the tip on the memory, will do.

Old
  (#603)
okismoki

Videocard: R9 Nano @1050
Processor: AMD Ryzen 1700@4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Prime x370
Memory: 16 gig Gskill F4-3200C16
Soundcard: Hyper X C2
PSU: EVGA G2 1000W
Default Today, 16:59 | posts: 20 | Location: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Anyone with an ASUS Prime X370-Pro, what bios did your board come with? If it came with version 0404 did you have any trouble booting? Reason for asking is that have read a few posts elsewhere where individuals were not able to boot with bios version 0404. Plus ASUS originally listed version 0502 as being the first version to support Ryzen but currently states 0404 is the first version for support.
mine came with the 0504

Old
  (#604)
Radical_53
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Palit GTX 1070
Processor: AMD Ryzen R7-1700X
Mainboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4
Memory: 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3200
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster ZXR
PSU: Seasonic X-460 Fanless
Default Today, 18:22 | posts: 3,551 | Location: Germany

Regarding cooling, I have a question or two to those who're already running their systems.

I've been using a Prolimatech Megahalems/SuperMega for the last couple of years, which has always served me well. The problem is that they've always been kind of "Intel"-heavy, and there still isn't a proper retention system available for AM4.
Now, I do have all the parts for a custom watercooling loop lying around here.
But: I'm hesistant to use them.
Why? Because I never liked the noise of the pump. No matter how you turn it, the pump makes watercooling noisier than air at idle conditions.
Do these CPUs really benefit from the additional cooling? I haven't seen that in years, to be honest. On the other hand, all my AMD CPUs were at least watercooled...

Any example, like temperatures, voltage and speed benefits, or even fan rpm benefits would be great.

PS: I've done enough AIO comparisons to regular heatsinks that I'd never go near any of those. With the same amount of air, they aren't any better than a good heatsink and their pump noise was always much worse than a "real" pump from a custom loop.

Tags
am4, amd, memory, overclocking, ryzen