i7 7700k Temperature issue

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by dzy_1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    100C ??

Either the GTX H100i is not functioning properly or it is a mounting issue. Have you used the right standoff screws? I have this feeling your cooling block plate is not properly touching the Intel processor heat spreader.

Also please do not use Prime95 as it will go viral on your CPU much like to what Furmark does with GPUs (e.g. not a not realistic-stress workload) use something like Wprime or the internal AIDA CPU stress run or even the CPU-Z benchmark has a proper stress test

2. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Well I was having issues with a different air cooler before this. I don't think I mismounted it 4x. I reseated the air cooler and water cooler twice each and same results each time.

I used the right mounting screws it was firmly on the mb and same heat issues even if I pressed down on the block. And when I took it off each time the thermal paste was well spread out each time.

3. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    I tried lowering the voltages and it didn't help.

But even if it was tight it shouldn't hit 100 or more. I went and returned it for another 7700k will report back.

4. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    got a new 7700k and having the same issues. I did load optimized defaults on my motherboard then manually set my RAM multiplier to 30 to support my DDR4 3000.

Voltages are lower around 1.25/6 I noticed but temps are still hitting the 90s, however doesn't hit 100 anymore. I did buy a power splitter to make sure my CPU cooler will be plugged directly to the PSU, I'll have that Monday or Tuesday... beyond that I'm not sure what else it could be. Used AS5 thermal paste on this one and pretty sure I mounted it correctly.

[​IMG]

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, you must be doing something wrong. Or you've been sold a couple of 7700k that have been tampered with.

Could you by any chance make a video of you applying the paste on the cpu and then mounting the cooler?

6. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Isn't that pump speed for that H100i a tad to low? Thought the pump speed should be around 2200-2400 rpm?

7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Did you see what Temps have in Bios?
    Did you set in that HWInfo the correct Tmax for Kaby Lake?
    Did you,after set the Tjmax,clear the values in HWInfo (click on that clock)?

Sometimes is Silicon Lotery,sometimes you need to delide that chip because Intel use awful thermal compound.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If you've been using AS5 this whole time that's probably the issue.

AS5 is bad, especially old tube of it.

Get either gelid gc extreme. prolimatech pk2/3, thermal grizzly kryonaut,

Also post a picture of all the voltage in hwinfo.

You said voltages are lower 1.26 but look at max.
    It says 1.35~.

Set a manual CPU voltage of 1.2v and check temps again.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Wow I had no idea AS5 is no longer top dog anymore. I did noticed last night after taking the mount off that I might have put a little too much AS5 on there so I used a little less and actually loosened the tightness of the block on the CPU and it seemed to have helped a little. No screens right now but the idle is in mid 30's to high 30s but max hitting 70-80s now during prime95. I'll look into a new thermal paste.

I also noticed the fan speed of my H100i seems to jump around alot so hopefully once the splitter arrives I can plug it into the PSU directly. I'll report back.

10. dizzin9

dizzin9 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    You're not alone OP, my new build is experiencing the same thing. It was 40C idle with spikes up to 70C on stock/default settings.

I've cleaned it up since then, turning all power saving crap off, running 4.5GHz @ 1.125V and will be like that until Intel/Asus finds a way to fix this. The chip also naturally runs hotter than others. Gaming with CS:GO, my CPU would do 55-65C, 70C in Cinebench, and 70-80C in OCCT.

There's a thread over at the Intel forums regarding this issue and Intel hasn't offered a solution yet.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  11. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Your voltages are too high on load for stock settings, use adaptive mode Instead of automatic and set It as low as you can go.

12. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    My molex cable was delayed but setting my mobo vcore at 1.25 I'm getting 35-40 idle and 70-80 on gaming, and prime95 at 85-90. Can i reduce that vcore further for stock?

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Probably can be fine at 1.2~ or less.

those temps are still really high, especially for games.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Stock should be 1.2v with default bios settings and it should do 4.5ghz stable. You can probably drop below 1.2v dzy_1 and it should be fine.

dizzin9, there's nothing Asus/Intel can do about the temps, don't expect a fix, there isn't one. These run hot. Fact. Only way to keep the temps down is to delid and cool properly.

15. dizzin9

dizzin9 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Yup, bought a Rockit 88 this morning.

16. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    seem to be doing fine. Not great temps but nothing about 80 so I'll settle for it for now. Not overclocking anytime soon so...

17. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC

What BIOS are you using? Gigabyte released F20 BIOSes with Kaby Lake support and these almost all overvolted Kaby processors. You need to makes sure you are using a newer F21 or F22 BIOS for the correct lower voltages. My temps when down 10 to 15C just going from F20 to a newer BIOS.

Also what controls the pump speed on your water cooler? If the motherboard is controlling the speed, make sure you go into the BIOS settings and set that fan header to FULL SPEED to get the correct RPM out of the pump.

Here are my temps running a 7700K with the AVX enabled version of Prime 95. Something in your setup is jacked up...

imgur.com/a/40TDc

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Are those stock clocks? What cooler?

19. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Noctua D14 CPU cooler, 4x Noctua FLX case fans, stock clocks so the CPU is boosting all cores to 4.4 GHz. Prime 95 is running the Small FFT test.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Alright, yeah, thought it was at stock.

21. dizzin9

dizzin9 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017