Metroid Prime 4

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by scatman839, Jun 13, 2017.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This was literally the only announcement from Nintendo so far I was excited about.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  4. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I was very firmly against buying a Switch and figured I would eventually play Breath of the Wild on my PC when the emulator gets all smoothed out. Then this was announced...so, I'll be buying a Switch now. That money I was tucking away for a new video card will have to be re-purposed.

:rock:

Anyone played on a Switch yet? If so, does it play okay as a tablet with the joycon controllers?

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think you'll be able to buy that video card and still save for the switch. Considering absolutely no game play footage was shown, I'll say it's very likely the game will be shown again at next years show and not be released until Fall 2018. Unless it's a port of a WII U game they were making. Which still, considering the lack of info, I doubt will be here before Spring 2018. ;)

Good luck finding a switch. I wish you well in that very annoying adventure if you're not willing to get butt slammed via craigslist.

I owned one and sold it. I found the controllers were very compromising for my rather large (adult lol) hands. I needed to take them off the screen and use them freely in each hand which then meant I had to prop the switch up on what is an extremely flimsy stand.

You'll want to buy a controller for it. Trust me.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06...d-by-retro-still-has-longtime-series-producer

Interview that states it was announced it will release "beyond 2017". Nice way of saying "we have no date, it's early in development". Don't blow your load on a console you only want one game for until the game is out. I made the same mistake. Fortunately, the system just isn;t for me, even with any decent games, so I'm glad I got the hype out of the way. But if you're saving for a gpu, I'd hate to see you end up with a dust collector instead.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Sure does, I like it, and if your arms get tired just get a stand (i have a kindle basics stand that I use for my phone & kindle) and you can just like lay it on an uneven surface or your chest and just have your arms by your side each joycon separate (yes it comes with a stand built in, but that's only for flat hard surfaces like a table)

That little joycon holder thing, I don't like it, much comfier having one joycon in each hand. I'm getting a lot of use out of disgaea 5 right now, play a few missions most nights.

8. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Thanks for the info. I kind of figured I would need to buy a pro controller for it. The off-center nature of the built in controls makes my right hand cramp up just looking at it.

I'll be waiting until they are freely available in stores and I've got plenty of extra cash to spare - probably next spring.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    That's a good plan. People will buy anything they can't have and this right here is proof. The virtual store has been delayed until 2018 and the system has one game worth buying...2 if you didn't own a wii u. I just do not get the hype. Your best bet is to wait for a fuller library.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No it's not? Paid online has been delayed until 2018, which i'm not sure why anyone would complain about. Unless you mean the free NES games when you get a sub, which are, well, NES games and 30 years old.

11. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Yeah, I skipped the Wii U entirely. BotW was the only game I really wanted to play, but I didn't want to buy either console just for that one game. Metroid Prime was an IP I was sure they would never revisit. If this new team can do a good job with it, I think that would be enough to justify the cost of the Switch. I'm sure I could talk myself into playing a Mario game as well.

Depending on when this hits, I may pick up an 1180 first and the Switch later. I don't need a new GPU for 1440p (yet), but I'd like to get away from SLI and also get back to an open air cooler instead of these blowers. They're much louder than I thought they would be. 1180 should be super-duper overkill for QHD.

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Show me virtual console isn't delayed and I'll apologize. Nintendo has been extremely tight lipped about it and refuses to answer when questions about it come up. Even at e3 so far. As far as I'm concerned, it's not coming anytime soon.

But if nes games are no big deal to you, I suppose n64, gamecube and other decade old games shouldn't matter either. So to some, it's no big deal. For me, there was excitement to play Gamecube classics in my hand, been trying to get my android to that point for several years but the single core "power" is crap on mobile phones and emulation just isnt there yet - even with the snapdragon 835. And then you have terrible drivers, like Samsungs...hooboy I won;t go near a samsung.

So anyways, different strokes for different folks. You belittle nes games, I cherish them. Make sense?

This system reminds me of Wii, everyone HAD to have one and then like nes mini, after the novelty wore off, they became infamous dust collectors. I'm not saying there wont be good games, but there's gonna be a lot of shovelware and long lull's between good games. I suspect to fill in the time, we will see many more wii u ports of existing games...especially with Mario Kart selling so well. I almost wish I hadn't played it on wii u, then the game might have been a motivator to keep the system and actually use it once in a while.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Its too bad it will take 3 years for them to release it. I dont understand why we didnt see starfox , fzero and donkey kong teasers.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    You said virtual store that I confused for the eshop, since it's a virtual store of sorts.

I've tried some NES games, I didn't find any I liked. I didn't grow up with a NES, I had a SNES and everything since, so I have many games on SNES onwards I like. I personally found NES games very basic, because that was the limitation of the technology at the time.

As for virtual console, sure it needs to happen, but the games from SNES, N64 and Gamecube that I like, i've owned and played a whole bunch. The sub though has just been offered as NES games so far.

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Samus Returns on 3DS out today.

Reviews are good.

Game Information

Game Title: Metroid: Samus Returns

Platforms: Nintendo 3DS

Trailer:

Developers: Mercury Steam

Publishers: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 88

Reviews

Atomix - Miguel Reyes - Spanish - 92 / 100
    Attack of the Fanboy - Kyle Hanson - 4 / 5 stars
    CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 9 / 10.0
    COGconnected - Grady Penna - 91 / 100

17. CapKrunch

CapKrunch Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I'm itching to buy this game but remake is what throwing me off, so, more likely I'll be waiting for sale. Also, BTW I loved metroid series and Super Metroid is the god and Prime 3 was so sweet. :D

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    lol wat

metroid 2 was the worst of the bunch

monochrome, 2 button + dpad gameplay, gameboy restrictions

zero mission was a remake and it was fantastic, what does it matter it being a remake of all things?

until now I had only played metroid 2 through AM2R, which may have had a simple formula but it was a fantastic game

if you want a free trial of samus returns, check out AM2R, it is very good.